Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks!

Options
  • 21-01-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

There are some fab fireworks going off over the city at the moment :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

What are they for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There's a fairly elaborate fireworks display going on in town for the last few mins. Anyone know what's it for? Hadn't heard anything.

Can only see the tops of it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What's the story with all the fireworks going off at the moment? Just caught a glimpse of some of the bigger ones. Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

No idea but they were really nice.. Poor animals will be terrified though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Looked cool from my house. No idea though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Looked like it was pretty much the city center from where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was brilliant, far better than the Volvo finale ones, looked like it was in the area near the Radisson from what i could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lol, three threads in as many minutes. Merged.
    I don't know what they're for, don't think it was mentioned in the paper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

They were let off from lough atalia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

biko wrote: »
    Lol, three threads in as many minutes. Merged.
    Fastest mod in town :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Chinese New Year is Feb 10th.

O'Bama maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Birroc wrote: »
    Chinese New Year is Feb 10th.

O'Bama maybe?
    What's Obama got to do with it?

It's MLK Day in America, if we're scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Related to The Gathering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What's Obama got to do with it?

It's MLK Day in America, if we're scraping the barrel.

inauguration day

You'd hope Ireland wasn't still so far up American's hole that they'd have firework displays for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Scared the crap out of me. Was in the middle of my siesta. Strangely enough dog didn't seem to notice and those things usually drive her nuts.
    It definitely wasn't pre-publicised anywhere I've been reading.

Maybe it was our councillors celebrating getting through a meeting without an argument :-)

You'd hope Ireland wasn't still so far up American's hole that they'd have firework displays for that...

Or maybe there's over a thousand american ex-pats in Galway and it was some of them?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I nearly sh*t myself in work. Didn't have a clue what was going on. Quite bizzare that there's been no definite explanation yet!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Or maybe there's over a thousand american ex-pats in Galway and it was some of them?

:rolleyes:
    Oh right yeah I suppose one of the ex-pats could have imported several fireworks and paid for a professional display in their back garden. I mean they happen all over the city on the 4th July. Of course.

• Advertisement

Oh right yeah I suppose one of the ex-pats could have imported several fireworks and paid for a professional display in their back garden. I mean they happen all over the city on the 4th July. Of course.

Why would it have to be a professional display?

It was only a few minutes of fireworks and they could have easily been bought up north and loaded into the back of a car.

What went off was likely only a few hundred quids worth.

It could have been ****ing anything. Someone might have a bit over excited about their kids birthday.

Ok bud relax. They seemed pretty baller to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What's baller? :)

What's baller? :)
    tumblr_mfy0iuTtQb1qjdr19o2_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

They were let off from one of the floating platforms on Lough Atalia. Saw a boat out there at around 4pm with a few guys and a kid. Didn't know what they were doing there at the time but when the fireworks went off from there later it explained it. Still don't know why though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

99% sure the fireworks were for celebrating Obama's inauguration, as a couple of posters have said already.

Noisy no doubt, but could be a lot worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

heard yer man on galway bay fm this morning asking if anyone knew why they were let off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    99% sure the fireworks were for celebrating Obama's inauguration, as a couple of posters have said already.

Noisy no doubt, but could be a lot worse!

if this is true i suppose it makes a nice change that rockets are flying from surface to air instead of the other way around where America is concerned, gotta love another 4 years of unmanned drone attacks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

G Power wrote: »
    if this is true i suppose it makes a nice change that rockets are flying from surface to air instead of the other way around where America is concerned, gotta love another 4 years of unmanned drone attacks!!

Got to love this, just has to get the bit about the drones in, any excuse to have a go at the US

Talk about Anti American

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sounds like it was probably an ex-pat group who put them on.

From what I heard (I was inside so heard, didn't see them), they were going off for a good chunk of time. Coupled with the fact that people said they looked quite impressive, that adds up to more than a few hundred quid's worth of fireworks IMO.
    I remember how 50 quids worth of 'Moore St' fireworks was gone in a minute, so am basing my calculations scientifically on that*! :D

(*that and working on an event where I saw the fireworks budget)

Advertisement