Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucosamine/Joint supplement dosage

• 21-01-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone who gives their dog a glucosamine/ joint supplement - do you give it all in one go or split it up into a couple/few smaller doses? I read a few articles/directions from different supplements and some recommend splitting the dose into eg 3 smaller doses. I've always given it all in one go but wondering if splitting it up into 3 would make more sense - kind of like a trickle charge ?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

tk123 wrote: »
    For anyone who gives their dog a glucosamine/ joint supplement - do you give it all in one go or split it up into a couple/few smaller doses? I read a few articles/directions from different supplements and some recommend splitting the dose into eg 3 smaller doses. I've always given it all in one go but wondering if splitting it up into 3 would make more sense - kind of like a trickle charge ?:pac:

Who told you your dog needed glucosamine?

If you need medical advice on drug dosages you should ask the vet that prescribed it.

If a vet didn't prescribe it then I would get your dog's joints assessed by a vet before giving it anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I give my dog her glucosamine in one dose with her evening meal. She is arthritis and diabetic and, irishchick, my vet is well aware of the glucosamine. She was on metacam for ages and not getting much better but after about a month on glucosamine i was able to wean her off metacam. She's flying now. Hasn't had a flare up since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

what makes you think your dog needs glucosamine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Glucosamine is a supplement which maintains or improves joint health - it can only benefit a dog and its a bit silly to be getting up in arms as to whether your vet knows your dog is on it or not.

I give my doses all in one go and use "Arthri Aid" which Ive found to be the best brand by far (the formulation seems work best above others - Ive tried cheaper human ones and they dont seem to cut it) It helps my dogs no end (one dog has arthritis the other has a back issue) I use it in combination with vet treatment - it would not be sufficient for my 2 as a sole treatment. Ive also started giving it to my third older dog as a preventative - he has no joint problems at the moment but as hes getting older I hope it will maintain joint health.

I have never heard any talk about splitting up the doses - I must look into that...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Irishchick wrote: »

Who told you your dog needed glucosamine?

If you need medical advice on drug dosages you should ask the vet that prescribed it.

If a vet didn't prescribe it then I would get your dog's joints assessed by a vet before giving it anything.

WOW!
    My vet is more than happy with the treatment I give my dog and far too busy for me to be bothering her over something like this.

It's ok to NOT go running to a vet every time we have a simple question or query we would like to 'compare notes' on with other owners - that's the whole point of boards like this. We're taking about a joint supplement here?

I trust my vets judgement 100% but opinions differ - one practice may use one brand of supplements and 99% of their robot customers may use them because they assume if the vet sells it there's nothing better (point in case Hills/RC crappy food) so the view is biased - it doesn't mean there aren't better/alternative ones out there.

@maggiepip the page I was reading was suggesting splitting the dose for larger dogs into 3 which is what got me wondering if I should do the same!

• Advertisement

Ive just read a little about splitting the doses - the main reason being that only a certain amount can be absorbed at one time so the excess is being wasted - like vitamin C obviously (youre always told to split those doses or lots will go down the toilet) Makes sense when you look at it that way. Will give that a try now - never occurred to me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

maggiepip wrote: »
    Glucosamine is a supplement which maintains or improves joint health - it can only benefit a dog and its a bit silly to be getting up in arms as to whether your vet knows your dog is on it or not.
    Are you a vet or a nurse? Are you qualified to make that decision? There are several conditions where taking glucosamine is contraindicated.!

You should ALWAYS tell your vet what medication or supplements your pet is taking the same way you should always tell your doctor.

Your vet/nurse is the best person to advise you on dosage and quantity.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Ive just read a little about splitting the doses - the main reason being that only a certain amount can be absorbed at one time so the excess is being wasted - like vitamin C obviously (youre always told to split those doses or lots will go down the toilet) Makes sense when you look at it that way. Will give that a try now - never occurred to me before.

Yeah me neither lol!! It does make sense though to the point it's a bit obvious lol!! ;p I give 2 different types and have always given them together so am going to start splitting - ideally into 3.. A joint stick/chew would be idea for our situation/routine but I'm loathe to try the pedigree ones for the simple fact they're made by pedigree - even though they have the levels I'd like and are cheap when bought in bulk from zooplus..so I may have to put my bias aside! Going to check out the tesco ones and see what levels of glucosamine, chronditin etc is in them. ;)

Irishchick wrote: »
    Are you a vet or a nurse? Are you qualified to make that decision? There are several conditions where taking glucosamine is contraindicated.!

You should ALWAYS tell your vet what medication or supplements your pet is taking the same way you should always tell your doctor.

Your vet/nurse is the best person to advise you on dosage and quantity.

Sorry but quite seriously what is your problem? What are these to quote --"several conditions where taking glucosamine is contraindicated" . Do you not mean drug interactions?

There are a few drugs where there may be moderate interactions (warafin being one) it may, apparently, increase insulin resistance - but this is ridiculously rare if its ever even been reported and I dont think it has - and the study which produced this data was using huge amounts of glucosamine injected IV.

If your dog or cat is on long term medications - or medications at all - of course you will tell your vet you are giving them glucosamine - but there is absolutely no need to go running off to your vet to get permission to give glucosamine to an otherwise medication free dog.

If your dog is showing signs of arthritis or pain of course you must first see a vet to see what exactly is wrong and whether or not the dog needs other medications/pain relief treatment etc......I didnt think I would need to state all this obvious stuff.............:(

SAKES!! What in the name of god was I thinking?!
    One pedigree chew yesterday...5 am this morning he was coughing and trying to get sick..he stopped coughing after a spoon of Manuka honey (I was in my sleep and first thing I thought of :p)..then back to sleep - and me on the couch to mind him lol.. A runny poo a few hours later :( He's been fine since thank god but no more pedigree stuff in the house EVER AGAIN!
    I got some of these to try - : http://www.iherb.com/Ark-Naturals-Sea-Mobility-Joint-Rescue-Venison-Jerky-9-oz-255-g/11441

• Advertisement

Yeah! Some years back I stupidly gave my dogs those awful pedigree dental chews. My Lab was really sick - vomiting watery stuff and had an obvious stomach ache. Im convinced a piece half lodged in her intestines for awhile - all those yokes are full of rubbish and take ages to digest. She did recover!

Advertisement