Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on buying from American website

Options
  • 21-01-2013 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,

Found a few threads on here about this but none are exactly relevant so sorry if I am duplicating posts.

Would really appreciate it if anybody can offer me some advice on this.

I have an online store and I am interested in buying a large amount of stock from an American site say every 2 months approx.

My written quote states "The customer is responsible for tax, duties and broker fees upon delivery"

When I queried this to see what they actually mean, I got the following reply: "There is a fee charged for merchandise shipped to other countries. Unfortunately we do not know what those fees may be"

Does anybody know what this means?

Does it mean that the delivery fee they are charging me includes delivery to my house or does it mean it gets delivered to a port for example and I get a courier from there?

And is it hit or miss as to whether or not they get stopped from customs or is that a given?

Anyone have any idea how customs calculate their charges etc. is it by weight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

you do not state what their delivery terms are. are they CIF, FOB or carriage paid home?

Read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056852745 and then get the info.

Next step contact Rudolf289 , the go to importing advisor on the boards.ie.

cheers

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

Thanks Peter,

Just checked my quote there, the terms are FOB

OK, so you have freight charges from the US, import duty, VAT , customs clearance charges and local delivery charges to your premises. The freight charges will be based on weight or volume and the taxes on value.
    Ask for the shipping weight and volume from your supplier and the tariff numbers for the goods, then you are in a position to seek fixed price quotes.

cheers

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

sounds like a lot of charges...

I am starting to wonder if I would be better off paying the more expensive price from a UK supplier..

Have never imported something like this before so totally clueless here, sorry about all of the questions

Remember the old adage, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it!! Better to find out first and then decide. Well done in seeking the info before you jump and risk your money.

Do the numbers and then you will know whether it is worthwhile or not.

Good luck!

cheers

Peter

• Advertisement
Advertisement