Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick: Pub suggestions for forty-somethings

• 21-01-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Gang of lads gents headin to Limerick.

Lookin for a good spot to watch the 6 Nations during the day - nice Guinness, open fire
    Then, later on somewhere that we won't

a. get our heads blown off by the music

b. be completely surrounded by kids reminding us just how f...in old we're after getting.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Windmill up the top of Henry Street maybe. Actually, not sure if they have a fire... Getting somewhere with an open fire will be tricky i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Bobby Byrnes on o Connell avenue. Open
    Fire; check. Good atmosphere for the match; check. Known for its good pints; check. Crowd wise it would be the far side of 30 and beyond. Good food too if you want it to fill up before heading for brighter lights..
    It's where I'd be anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Souths near the crescent. Myles Breens is a rugby pub.
    Lockes near Barringtons is good for food - dunno about the rugby though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jerry Flannery's on Catherine Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Tom Collin's (no good for the rugby, no TV) but good for later on.

also echo most of the above.

Bobby Byrnes, Souths, Willie Sextons, The Windmill along with Dolans. All up the same end of town, all with Decent pints

You could also do the Flannery's tour of Limerick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Breens - great for pints, fireplace with no fire though I think. Good rugby pub

JJ Bowles - Great pints, great service - fire too. Flatley and POC were guests there yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Curragower has an open fire in the back afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

feargale wrote: »
    Souths near the crescent. Myles Breens is a rugby pub.
    Lockes near Barringtons is good for food - dunno about the rugby though.

Souths and Myles Breen both good. For the OP, I especially recommend the Locke, which is also a rugby pub, has open fires, and during the day it's certainly not youth-oriented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Mc Love wrote: »
    JJ Bowles - Great pints, great service - fire too. Flatley and POC were guests there yesterday :)
    Which is it - Munster signing Michael Flatley or Riverdance signing Paul O'Connell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

If you stay up the bobby Byrnes and souths side of town then you'll find a number of pubs there that will have good atmosphere and good rugby crowd up there. Music wont be much of an issue up that part of town either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

If you're staying in the Absolute there are a nice couple of pubs just across the bridge, Portleys and The Gate Bar, both would have a good atmosphere for the rugby.

On The Locke - the booze is crap and prices are high

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Breens has an open (gas) fire, a smoking area that resembles a WWII gas chamber, and the most foul smelling plumbing system imaginable, and a resident crowd of failed developers, bankers, and assorted hangers on, but it's still a decent boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

Thanks to all for suggestions - I'll post my own verdict when I get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Sounds like a pub crawl is your only option!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Cobblestone Joes on little ellen street has good drink an open fire and a massive screen for the matches and the music is never loud in there unless a band is playing. It's wouldn't be crazy busy during the day either which is good. Would be the best bet IMO!

Advertisement