Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drill (corded) buying advice

• 21-01-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

I am on the lookout for a new drill. Tend to do a lot of woodworking - drill holes up to 30mm diameter) and the odd bit of masonary (generally just small diameter holes for concrete).

I was on the Makita website and I see SDS drill category, but also Percussion category.

What are percussion drills used for / best at?

I have also seen somebody recommend drills with two speed mechanical gearbox - is this necessary or very beneficial?

What drill would you recommend for me? (considering dewalt, Makita, Hitatchi, Bosch blue)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Had the older one of these for years, nice and powerful, able to snap large bits no problem if they jammed.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-gsb21-2rct-1300w-impact-drill-240v-p10906

Maybe it was just the particular model of Makita I used but the electronic speed control on it seemed to ramp up the power - made it more difficult to keep it in line - had sweet prayers for the genius that came up with that idea - was drilling out a long bolt

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Prizen

gctest50 wrote: »
    Had the older one of these for years, nice and powerful, able to snap large bits no problem if they jammed.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-gsb21-2rct-1300w-impact-drill-240v-p10906

Maybe it was just the particular model of Makita I used but the electronic speed control on it seemed to ramp up the power - made it more difficult to keep it in line - had sweet prayers for the genius that came up with that idea - was drilling out a long bolt

Sorry, I forgot to mention my budget, the Bosch you posted is about double what i'm willing to pay.

Will the 2 speed drill do things that the 1 speed can't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just more torque at low speed - like your car in first gear sorta thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

you wont get much of a drill with that budget unless you go down the 2nd hand route.Personally I would favor the DeWalt but allot of guys swear by Bosch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Not sure if this will help but Lidl are doing a small 12v L-ion screw gun at the moment for €35 ... picked up one today for its size and weight and its actually got some kick out of it.... used it to drill a couple 10mm holes with a fairly blunt drill bit in pine and it didnt struggle at all. Apparently will drive well over 200 screws on a single charge without a stuggle (have yet to see).

Steven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭hesker

I just do a bit of DIY now and again but I bit the bullet and bought this recently

www.fastfix.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fastfix.co.uk%2f&WD=hr2470t&PN=Makita-HR2470T-SDS-Plus-Rotary-Hammer-Drill.html%23aHR2470T#aHR2470T

It has 2 chucks for SDS and regular bits that you can swap around. Very happy with it.

I bought this after going through 2 cheap (€70) Bosch drills. Probably my own fault for pushing too hard but I reckon I now have the proper kit that won't let me down. Probably more than your budget but I learned you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Prizen wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to mention my budget, the Bosch you posted is about double what i'm willing to pay.

Will the 2 speed drill do things that the 1 speed can't?

I got a hitachi and am very happy with it:-

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/hitachi-sds-plus-hammer-drill-220v-800w-motor-24mm-chuck-dh24pc3.html

Advertisement