Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten urinary problems?

• 21-01-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi All

I have an 7 month old kitten who has never had a single accident from 4 weeks old until today :(
    I just caught him peeing in laundry box and noticed that the duvet on my bed is also wet so he must have went there too..
    The smell is quite pungent but he doesn't take the 'stance' of a cat spraying so I am unsure if this is what he is doing or if there is a more serious problem.

I am calling the vets tomorrow to try book him in for the evening.

He hasn't been neutered yet, he was/is quite small and strictly an indoor cat so we have him booked in for Feb (although thinking of moving it up if its anyway related!)

Nothing has changed in the home, no strangers have been we haven't been away, no furniture moved etc.

He def hasn't been himself the last couple of weeks.. He isn't finishing or is taking an age to finish his food.He's Currently on grau (which he has always loved), and a bit of dry kitten applaws. However he will devour any raw we give him so i wasn't worried about this until now.

I have noticed him licking his genitalia also a bit more than usual and sometimes in an 'urgent' way..
    I've been doing a bit of reading and UTI/FUS etc is popping up.. He hasn't been crying out (but then again he isnt a very vocal cat!) I havent noticed any blood in urine and he is obviously passing urine as its evident on my bed!

We have another cat also and they are left together when we go to work.
    They get on for the most part with a few swipes here and there but nothing serious.

Obviously i will know more when i go to the vets but just a bit worried about him at the moment so has anyone any experience with similar or any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sounds very much like a uti, you might not notice blood in the urine till it gets to a worse state so it's good to get caught early! If you can at all try to collect a urine sample tomorrow to bring with you to the vets as it will help speed things along diagnosis wise. A dose of antibiotics should clear him up but if he is still peeing after bring treated it could be something behavioural. If he isn't actually spraying (ie standing with his bum close to something, shaking his tail and kicking with back legs) then it probably isn't to do with territorial marking but it would be wise to get him done sooner rather than later to stop that behaviour developing. Though in saying that my male was done at 5 months and my female at 6 months and they still spray around the garden, I don't mind as long as they don't do it in the house! And it also cuts down on that distinctive Tom cat pee stink!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Thanks SillyMango!

If i hadn't have seen him licking his area so much i would have thought he was starting to spray but im a bit more concerned due to seeing this.

Any tips on how to obtain a sample?!!? :confused:

Keep him in a room such as the bathroom over night with a litter tray but instead of litter put in something like the beans from a beanbag or something else non absorbable that he can scratch around in, then if you can just pour the pee into a container out of the corner of the tray or if you have a syringe you can syringe it up!

How did the vet visit go OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Hope the vet visit went ok.
    One thing with kitten is that they could wee on laundry and bed as this is where most of your scent is. They want to mark that scent and will do by urinating.

Any out of form wee should be vet checked just incase, especially if there is excessive licking as you described.

With regard to the smell, he isnt neutered so his urine is going to be strong smelling. This probably wont change even with neutering next month. Really with an indoor boy he should be neutered at 3-4 months at the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Hi

Sorry about the delay.

Brought Satch to the vets on Wednesday and she was pretty confident he was just hitting puberty and therefore starting to spray (Took his temp etc and all well)
    We booked him in to be neutered on Friday which all went well thank god.

Hes back to himself now and he hasn't 'sprayed'/urinated outside of the tray so far but will obviously be keeping a close eye on him (fingers crossed he wont do it again!)

We brought him to the vets a couple of months ago and she suggested waiting until he gained a bit more weight to neuter him but in hindsight we prob should have done it before Christmas when we got the older kitty done.

Never thought i'd worry so much about a pet going in for a routine operation! :/

Advertisement