Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIVORCE/SEPERATION

• 21-01-2013 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I'm looking for a bit of legal advice, I want to leave my wife, im just woundering how i will fair out when it comes to splitting everything up, will she come out better off than me,
    No kids involved,
    We have a house together mortgage in both names, i have a van i use for work, 1 car in my name,( she drives it,)
    I have loads of tools worth approx €10,000 , I,m self employed, she dosent work so i pay for everything,
    She has a house left to her by her parents, (mortgage free)
    I dont want any claim on that , as far as im concerned thats hers.
    And then there's the contents of our own home,
    Just like to know what people think before i book an appointment with a legal team,
    She has no idea of any of this.
    Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It all depends. No legal advice here. Check out FLAC.ie for some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bingolife

Actually that’s a good question darren72 – avoiding any legal advice here – I’d be interested to see people’s experiences. I’ve two friends who are divorced (two different marriages). Without getting into all the him v her can of worms, it does seem the husband is at risk of paying dearly here – the courts don’t seem to be very good at distinguishing between couples with and without kids – which in MHO are very different scenarios, also another observation, it seems if one/either party is good at managing money they’ll suffer financially for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The Courts don't have a say if the parties can work it out themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Sala wrote: »
    The Courts don't have a say if the parties can work it out themselves.

While correct for a separation, a Court must make sure in a Divorce that proper provision is made and can if it wishes ignore the parties. It would be very rare and usually if the agreement is very one sided.

infosys wrote: »
    While correct for a separation, a Court must make sure in a Divorce that proper provision is made and can if it wishes ignore the parties. It would be very rare and usually if the agreement is very one sided.

Apologies, that is true. But if the parties can work it out together in a way that neither is bullying or coercing the other it will simply be rubber stamped.

OP consider mediation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bingolife

To put this into perspective, I'm speaking as a curious naive on this - its good to hear the courts are fair in their judgments..

bingolife wrote: »
    To put this into perspective, I'm speaking as a curious naive on this - its good to hear the courts are fair in their judgments..

In my own (limited) experience the Courts try to be as fair as possible, the dilemma for them and the parties involved is that running one household on one income is very different from sustaining two households on one income.

Book an appointment with FLAC and if on speaking terms maybe suggest she could contact Social Welfare to see if she has any entitlements.

Without wanting to give legal advice,I don't see how she could end up "better off" than you, if you are happy to have no claim on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 yummymummy1979

hi all,
    im going thru a similar situation.

Darren 72 ur post was a while ago, so I hope life has improved and ur in a happier place. I found getting out ther and having some fun helped me cope with the bad days. maybe meet up with friends and spend a weekend doing something you enjoy.

good luck with it all

Advertisement