Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montreal?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone here working/worked in Montreal? I am a French speaker, and may not be the worst place to suss out work in addition to Vancouver...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Moi! It's the best place that I have ever been and I would find it hard to live anywhere else. I am hoping that I will get to stay here for many years to come.

If you can speak French then it's the place for you! I can't and it's still the place for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Moi! It's the best place that I have ever been and I would find it hard to live anywhere else. I am hoping that I will get to stay here for many years to come.

If you can speak French then it's the place for you! I can't and it's still the place for me!

Did you manage to land a job with no french? I work in I.T would i get away with just english up there for my industry? I was looking at montreal at first but decided it would be foolish going there with no french. Think i should give it a shot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Merci montreal2011.

I can speak French. I studied it in uni, but my written French would be far from perfect. My spoken is ok to pretty good, but once I get into a French speaking environment, it comes back no hassle.

I see a lot of jobs look for bilingual people, which is obvious I guess. Would the fact my written French is not great be against me in terms of jobs?

Are the winters that extreme in Montreal?

I have heard great things about Montreal, from the arts scene, (to the ladies... :/ )

zweton wrote: »
    Did you manage to land a job with no french? I work in I.T would i get away with just english up there for my industry? I was looking at montreal at first but decided it would be foolish going there with no french. Think i should give it a shot:)

I got lucky with the job I got as I had a recommendation from a previous employer who had done business with my current employer; otherwise I don't think I would have gotten a job in Montreal.

In Quebec any company over 100 people must work in French by law. With the separatist party recently getting power with a minority Government they are reducing this to any company over 50 people. An exception is made for companies which have locations all over Canada if the HQ is in Quebec; they can work in either language. This is case where I work and it's English. The language laws are not always followed! Even shops are supposed to change their names to French, but most don't bother.

My manager, who doesn't like talking in English as he's not great at it, once said you're better off to have only English than only French if you work in IT in Montreal. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but for sure you are reducing your opportunities if you only have one.

A company cannot advertise a job and ask for English fluency only; they must ask for bi-lingual if they want you to be able to work in English. They can ask for French fluency only. Canada is officially bi-lingual, Quebec is not, French is the only official language.

The games industry is big here, Ubisoft and EA are here, plus others but I only know people in these two places. All 4 can't speak French.

Basically it's possible to get work in IT in Montreal without French, and probably more so than any other industry, but it won't be easy as some jobs will require French. The ratio of French to English jobs, I cannot say.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Merci montreal2011.

I can speak French. I studied it in uni, but my written French would be far from perfect. My spoken is ok to pretty good, but once I get into a French speaking environment, it comes back no hassle.

I see a lot of jobs look for bilingual people, which is obvious I guess. Would the fact my written French is not great be against me in terms of jobs?

Are the winters that extreme in Montreal?

I have heard great things about Montreal, from the arts scene, (to the ladies... :/ )

Your spoken French is likely to be more I important than your written French, especially in an interview! They write the same here as in France, but they speak differently. Some people say it's way different but it's all French to me. I can't tell if someone is from France or Quebec from listening to them speaking, but my French is bad.

My work place is in English and I see a lot of poor English from many Quebecers, especially when writing. So if you have even a reasonable level of French you are all set since your level of English puts you on par with most bilingual Quebecers.

The arts and culture scene is amazing here, so much going on all over all year. It seems that everyone is an artist or a musician or some kind of performer! These weekends there is the igloo fest which is a techno party outdoors at the old port. Even if you don't like the music it's a surreal atmosphere to be partying outdoors in -25c!

The size of the city makes it very accessible to get around easily, it's not too big and spread out like I think Toronto is, but not so small that you will ever get bored.

The winter is extreme here right now, it's gonna be -20 all this week with potential hit -30, plus wind chill can make it feel much lower. A few weeks ago a daily record of snow fell, 45cm in one day. Still, they will grit, plow and remove snow as needed and life goes on. Wrap up and have good boots and it's fine.

The ladies here are amazing too, some of the nicest I have ever seen. They are really friendly and almost always say yes if you ask them out and you ask them anywhere anytime, no need to wait til you'd had a few beers! In general people don't drink to extreme, some do but still typically not to Irish levels. Another thing that surprised me here is the beer, it's great and so much local breweries. There is a beer fest or oktober fest nearby about 5 or 6 times a year!

Great reply! My only worry was my written French wouldn't be great. I wouldn't have any major problem working in a French speaking environment. It comes back to me when I am immersed in it.

The extreme and long winter is putting me off though....

The idea of living in a French speaking environment in North America and the arts scene is the major draw for me though.

What is Quebec city like?

• Advertisement

Before I went there I asked a guy from Quebec city what it was like and how it compared to Montreal. He said Quebec is the best city to visit as a tourist and Montreal is the best city to live in. It`s an accurate description I think. Quebec is very historic, it`s the 2nd oldest city in North America I think so it`s very interesting in that sense.

Great. Thanks for the info. It's the harsh winters! The harsh winters! :(

According to my phone today it`s -18 and the wind chill makes it -26! I don`t mind it; boots, jacket and gloves and you`re all set!

If you were take up some winter sports you would actually look forward to winter!

yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I'm planning on heading to Montreal. I love the cold so that weather sounds like bliss to me.

• Advertisement

Hmm, it's super blissful today so! 3:20pm and temp is -23 right now and -35 with wind chill!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Hmm, it's super blissful today so! 3:20pm and temp is -23 right now and -35 with wind chill!

Hell. My face fell off going to work :(

Just how bad is it. :(

Just how bad is it. :(

Terrible this week, but life goes on! Monday is supposed to be back to -5 or something which is grand.

Jaysus, Vancouver it is......

haha no don't be put off! I lived in Vancouver for a year too and the winters here are offset by the amazinggg summers, whereas Vancouver's summers are pretty grim in comparison. And this is a pretty exceptional week temperature-wise, and not the norm at all. The fact that locals are talking so much about it shows how out of the norm it is! Honestly, as long as you have a good winter jacket, gloves and boots then winter isn't a big deal at all.

I really like the idea of a French speaking environment in North America. Kind of a mix of both worlds...

Do you wear your boots to work, or do people bring a change of clothes for when they get inside?

I really like the idea of a French speaking environment in North America. Kind of a mix of both worlds...

Do you wear your boots to work, or do people bring a change of clothes for when they get inside?

Yeah it's unlike the rest of north america in a lot of ways. Yeah people tend to layer up as much as possible on days like today especially if you are getting the bus to work and have to wait outside. Most people would change out of their boots at work. As bad as it all sounds you'll adapt quickly.

ician wrote: »
    And this is a pretty exceptional week temperature-wise, and not the norm at all. The fact that locals are talking so much about it shows how out of the norm it is!

Last week was unusual too when temperatures were +10 and the ice thawed. I think that typically once it freezes over in November or December it doesn't thaw until at least late February.

Just looking at temps in TO, and there is almost 10 degrees of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ford explorer

is there much construction work in montreal/quebec?? love the sound of montreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Hey montreal2011, thanks for all the Montreal info, I'll be there for a week at the end of March, and it's great to have some personal reports!
    Are the temperatures you've listed in Fahrenheit?

I'd say it's Celsius

is there much construction work in montreal/quebec?? love the sound of montreal!

If your name ends in a vowel there is! ;)

Quebec construction tycoons caught on tape meeting Mob

There is a big inquiry going on at the moment because loads of city officials were taking bribes to award contracts to mafia run companies who charged twice as much and did a half ass job.

There is a decent amount on building work going on between condos and there are two 'Super Hospitals' being constructed right now, I think one is due to be finished this year but the biggest one will go on until 2015. You can read about them here:

Montreal’s superhospital construction check up

In winter I expect there is big demand for drivers with the snow between gritting, ploughing and snow-removal.

The biggest thing going on right now, or it may still be just in the planning phase is Plan Nord. It's about opening 50% of the north of QC to developing the natural resources while preserving the other 50%. It promises to 'create or consolidate an average of 20000 jobs a year over 25 years'. I know there is opposition to it for lots of reasons, and things can move very slowly here as this example shows:

Montreal's mayor promises to investigate Dorval interchange construction delays

Basically an overpass road out near the airport which was meant to be finished this year, hasn't been worked on in two years and is now not expected to be finished until 2017!

The infrastructure is somewhat terrible here but despite the city's many flaws, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Montreal is falling down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I'd say it's Celsius

:eek:
    I can't imagine what minus 35 is like then

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Hey montreal2011, thanks for all the Montreal info, I'll be there for a week at the end of March, and it's great to have some personal reports!
    Are the temperatures you've listed in Fahrenheit?

Yeah it's celsius.

Advertisement