Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotwire bookings

Options
  • 21-01-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Tried to book on hotwire website. Good deals on the unnamed hotels but each time I tried I failed. First time it said my card provider would not authorise. This was correct. My card provider ( Mastercard ) security section called me and I said ok but by this time the booking had lapsed. It still locked up my €600 odd for 3 days and no way could I get it back any sooner. Second time I tried the website said the booking was not possible as the €630 rooms shown were not available but I could book at €1095. I declined and my €630 was locked up for a futher 3 days. The third time ( am I a masochist) I tried by telephone and the website showed 2 hotels at €600 to €700. When I requested one of these the operator said these were not available but that I could have one at €1000+. Can somebody tell me is this site a scam ie, draw you in with cheap offers and then "not available" and try to sell you more expensive ones. Then lock up your money which they say they do not have but the reason it is locked up is because I tried to book on their website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Never had a problem with it, and have been using it for many years. Sounds like you've just been unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dukeyado

Once is unlucky. Twice maybe. Third time using the helpline operator ??
    But maybe I need tuition. I tried using Hotwire's own operator in US. I also emailed them and got an automated response "That I would have a reply in 12 to 24 hours. After 4 days I emailed again and after a day they replied blaming Mastercard for locking up my money but offering no other help.
    I am still seduced by their prices but am afraid as I cannot afford to have my money locked up for periods of 3 to 5 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The site isn't a scam, I've used Hotwire loads of times and never really had any problems. The first time I tried using Hotwire I was in the US and my credit card company blocked my card because they didn't think I was in the US and thought it was a fraudulent transaction. I rang them up and told them I was indeed in the US and I was able to make many bookings on Hotwire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I always use betterbidding.com to work out the hotels and follow their link to the US version of the site, never had a problem, I use 90210 as my zip code.

If you're seduced by Hotwire, consider Priceline. Even better bargains to be had on there! Again betterbidding is the place to learn the tricks

Advertisement