Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for monitored alarm

Options
  • 22-01-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all, I've had a look through the forum but don't see any threads recommending company's to install and monitor alarms. I've never bought an alarm before and am a bit of a technophobe so installing the system myself is not an option.

It's a semi d, 10 years old, was wired for an alarm but one never installed. Had 1 company out and they have quoted me 1350 for a hybrid panel linking all the wired door/window sensors (9 windows 3 doors) and adding one wireless PIR and 20 a month monitoring. Front and back boxes, internal and ext bell included.

Seems quite expensive to me. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A basic prewiried house like that with a dialler for monitoring should come in under €1000 . That's using a hybrid system Like Siemens or HKC Securewave.
    Monitoring and maintenance prices vary a lot as some companies limit maintenance to one or 2 calls per year. Look for a full service contact that covers all calls. That means there are no surprise charges later . It also encourages the company to maintain the system correctly and not incur unnecessary call outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Bump- Ive a quote from eircom of 895 for a standard semi d house but need a gsm unit- all the talk of jamming the signal is seriously putting me off! So else besides Eircom do the monitoring service? Is the gsm unit pointless or is there a better way without a landline? Ta!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any licensed company can monitor your alarm so shop around. Also check whether the quote you got includes an external bell. A lot of the time Eircom don't include this. Again shop around re the installation also.
    An alarm can also be monitored via UPC or other service provider. Something Eircom deny.
    If you want the most secure monitoring its radio, its also the most expensive though. A well protected landline or broadband line is your best bet after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

There's really no point of using UPC , WiMAX or the likes for monitoring alarms.
    If the power is turned off there useless .
    Better off using a landline(eircom Ect /radio or gsm .
    The first quote could include the monitoring fee as well as the system

How often is your power off?
    Imo GSM is the least secure. A protected land line or data connection is more secure than GSM which can be disabled without any physical tampering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

There's really no point of using UPC , WiMAX or the likes for monitoring alarms.
    If the power is turned off there useless .
    Better off using a landline(eircom Ect /radio or gsm .
    The first quote could include the monitoring fee as well as the system

Not in all cases. A back up power supply can be fitted to keep the service alive in an outage.

Advertisement