Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Another) Tracker question, need help please.

• 22-01-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

This has quite possibly been mentioned here already and humblest apologies if it has but we've a query.

The wife and myself have a mortgage with PTSB since 2007 we were fixed for two years and have been on a tracker since 2009.

Basically we are looking to build on to our place (or possibly buy the neighbours place and knock through) We've started to multiply and need a bit more room.

1, If we are to add 50/60 to our current mortgage would we lose the tracker?

2, Could we approach another bank about a large loan/second mortgage.

Thanks for any replies,
    OTB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

1, If we are to add 50/60 to our current mortgage would we lose the tracker?
    I'm open to correction but the only bank that officially has a policy of allowing this OR allowing a customer to trade up without loss of tracker is Ulster Bank. However, let that not stop you running it by PTSB.
    2, Could we approach another bank about a large loan/second mortgage.
    A large loan would be the worst thing in the world. You just have to look at loan rates to see just how horrendous it would be!
    That leaves a second mortgage...
    I doubt this will work out as a feasible option for you...which takes you back to the first point...I think thats what you need to pursue...OR ....keep saving - and deal with it when you have cash in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

You shouldn't lose your Tracker if you topped up the existing mortgage - any top-up will not be on a Tracker rate though. It will be another story trying to get PTSB to release the €50-60k - this will depend on affordability, the amount of positive equity currently, etc. At least PTSB are talking about increasing the amount of lending they will do in 2013, following tiny volumes in 2012.

Borrowing from another bank is unlikely to be a runner - in terms of a mortgage, the second bank would need to take a second charge over the positive equity currently in the property and would need the agreement of both banks. This was tricky enough in boom times! The amount you are looking for will also probably be too high for a personal loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the above is a word perfect answer

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Outsidethebox

Thanks for the replies folks, going to ring PTSB this evening and see what the story is.

Go raibh maith agaibh,
    OTB.

Advertisement