Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation Package and salary negotiation.

Options
  • 22-01-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all. I applied for a job in Melbourne before Christmas and just received an email to say they would call in the next few days to discuss an offer and the relocation package on offer :)
    While we discussed salary on the initial phone call it wasn't mentioned in the interview. I will be looking for about $95k+. What is included in relocation packages and can they be negotiated? Ie length of time accomodation is paid for? I know my 457 visa and flight will be paid for.
    Just want to prepare myself and get what I can :)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Where did you come up with the $95k figure, market rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

lg123 wrote: »
    Where did you come up with the $95k figure, market rates?

I applied for same job in Sydney last may and that was the salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lovetochill

melonstar wrote: »
    Hi all. I applied for a job in Melbourne before Christmas and just received an email to say they would call in the next few days to discuss an offer and the relocation package on offer :)
    While we discussed salary on the initial phone call it wasn't mentioned in the interview. I will be looking for about $95k+. What is included in relocation packages and can they be negotiated? Ie length of time accomodation is paid for? I know my 457 visa and flight will be paid for.
    Just want to prepare myself and get what I can :)
    Thanks!

Congrats on getting sponsorship.

It's good to get what you can. I asked my sponsor to pay to ship my car over as its expensive to buy a car there and they agreed( it wasn't in my relocation packages)

When I moved over on a 547 visa, they paid for the first 4 weeks accommodation plus furniture hire because properties are often rented unfurnished in Australia until my container arrived( also paid for by sponsor), 4 weeks car rental. Of course they will pay for your flight and your family if they are moving with you. Once you are in Australia, when you are paying your own rent, you can claim different allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I applied for same job in Sydney last may and that was the salary.
    Just so you know, the average/median salary in Melbourne, is lower than Sydney. May or not affect your offer, but something to be prepared for.

Mellor wrote: »
    Just so you know, the average/median salary in Melbourne, is lower than Sydney. May or not affect your offer, but something to be prepared for.

This is true.

Op, You might like to know about their Salary increase guidelines.

• Advertisement

It's good to get what you can. I asked my sponsor to pay to ship my car over as its expensive to buy a car there and they agreed( it wasn't in my relocation packages)

When I moved over on a 547 visa, they paid for the first 4 weeks accommodation plus furniture hire because properties are often rented unfurnished in Australia until my container arrived( also paid for by sponsor), 4 weeks car rental. Of course they will pay for your flight and your family if they are moving with you. Once you are in Australia, when you are paying your own rent, you can claim different allowances.

Some good suggestions there.

As mentioned, rental properties are rarely furnished so that can be a fair outlay in your first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Be aware that the company is required to provide you with a return flight to your home country upon cessation of the 457 visa if being made unemployed or if the visa expires. So don't consider that part of the package.

As said. Standard relocation is 4 weeks rent in furnished accommodation or a hotel. For a $95K role I would doubt you'll get shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Once you are in Australia, when you are paying your own rent, you can claim different allowances.

What would these be? I feel like I may be missing something here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

digiman wrote: »
    What would these be? I feel like I may be missing something here

I think he might be thinking of LAFHA, but I thought they were doing away with it for 457

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I think he might be thinking of LAFHA, but I thought they were doing away with it for 457

Yeah, it sure is. I thought he might have meant something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

What is the industry and what is the job?

Thanks for your reply and help. I will be going over on my own so I think I'll try to find a place in shared acc.
    How long does it take for furniture etc to be shipped?
    I never really thought about bringing my car...I'd have to trade it in for one with AC though :)

Mellor wrote: »

Yes I know, thank you. When we initially discussed salary I said about 95k. She didn't seem against it or put off so hopefully I'll be ok :)

This is true.

Op, You might like to know about their Salary increase guidelines.

Added to my long list of questions! Thanks.

digiman wrote: »
    Yeah, it sure is. I thought he might have meant something else

Sorry guys, I meant the Tax Benefits( LAFHA and Superannuation ). In my case I had to ask my employer to do that for me.

OP, I used Crown Relocations and it took them 8 weeks door to door transit. Because I had a full Container, it was quicker. I think if you use a shared Container, it will certainly be cheaper, but will take longer, 10-12 weeks door-to-door.

Thanks :) I'll look into them if the company pay for shipping.

Negotiation starts here!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Hi Op,

I'm in the same boat, got offerered relocation aswell, but waiting to find out what I can expense. I'll be hoping to bring y car whcih has air con :)

I'll let you know how I get on

Congrats to you :)
    Exciting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

What jobs offer such packages. And how/where did you apply

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    What jobs offer such packages. And how/where did you apply

It's a planning role in a telecoms company. Found it on LinkedIn. Have found LinkedIn to be brilliant for finding jobs and making connections in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

It's a planning role in a telecoms company. Found it on LinkedIn. Have found LinkedIn to be brilliant for finding jobs and making connections in the industry.

I work for a telecoms company in Melbourne myself, so if you need any more industry/company specific information prior to your move feel free to drop me a pm....

jackbhoy wrote: »

I work for a telecoms company in Melbourne myself, so if you need any more industry/company specific information prior to your move feel free to drop me a pm....

Thanks so much! I'll be in touch in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks for the information guys

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

I have heard of this but am not on it - is it really that good for jobs. Is it something like Facebook only on a professional level. Would be interested to hear peoples views

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I have heard of this but am not on it - is it really that good for jobs. Is it something like Facebook only on a professional level. Would be interested to hear peoples views

Invaluable in Australia. As well as knowing a few people who secured interviews and jobs from it, if you are going for a job, the first thing an employer does is look up you LinkedIn feed. My company tend to turn down applicants purely on the basis of not having a LinkedIn page!

Batgurl wrote: »
    My company tend to turn down applicants purely on the basis of not having a LinkedIn page!

interesting, what industry is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

lg123 wrote: »

interesting, what industry is that?

Online publishing. In fairness, if your working online and you don't have a social media presence, your probably in the wrong career :p

Advertisement