Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kino comeback?

Options
  • 22-01-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this:

www.thekino.ie

Could be a great venue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Yeah my brother is one of the guys behind it, should open up soon enough. Its all the health and safety stuff is holding it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What's it opening up as though??
    Cork's first and only all-ages music venue.

What exactly is that? A crèche or a nightclub? :p

From the FB page I gleaned this info
    "Concert venue · Café"

So, is this going to be a night venue where you can go out and get a decent coffee as well as alcohol? Cork is lacking in the alternative night out department.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Very interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bacchus wrote: »
    What's it opening up as though??

What exactly is that? A crèche or a nightclub? :p

From the FB page I gleaned this info
    "Concert venue · Café"

So, is this going to be a night venue where you can go out and get a decent coffee as well as alcohol? Cork is lacking in the alternative night out department.

it's lacking an alternative night out department because those who moan about an alternative night out collectively cannot agree on what they want. A late night venue with a late license and all the costs that go with it won't survive on selling nice coffee...this has been tried by those in the know and has failed.
    Yer man, Bobby Kerr from Insomnia Coffee has some good info on this.

It's going to be an all-ages gig venue. And as most of the people behind it are under 18 they can't get a drink licence. It's to replace an spailpin fanach, after they closed. Eventually they will have to get the licence to attract other users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

calnand wrote: »
    It's going to be an all-ages gig venue. And as most of the people behind it are under 18 they can't get a drink licence. It's to replace an spailpin fanach, after they closed. Eventually they will have to get the licence to attract other users.

The spailpin fanach is closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The last time I was in the Kino it was falling down, hopefully there will be some building work before they re-open, or perhaps that is the health and safety issues.

Fair play for trying something down there though, it is a real empty part of the city, the building that were FX/Keg and the Maltings bar have been vacant for years as well.

Ludo wrote: »

The spailpin fanach is closing?

Sorry I meant cruiscin lan, im always getting them mixed up. And they're doing work to the building soon, chairs were taken out and given away, still a few left I think. Knocking down a wall inside and making it open also have to put in a ventilation system which they got a quote of 5000 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Have they sorted out insurance?, I'd say public indemnity insurance won't be cheap for an U18's venue.

If I'd rented the place I would have liked to keep it as an alt. cinema.
    Open from 10 until 2am featuring late & midnight showings of Cult films like:
    Blue Velvet, Pink Flamingos, The Warriors, Army of Darkness, Rock Horror etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

Excellent news. Hopefully it will be a re-established landmark of cork city again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

it's lacking an alternative night out department because those who moan about an alternative night out collectively cannot agree on what they want. A late night venue with a late license and all the costs that go with it won't survive on selling nice coffee...this has been tried by those in the know and has failed.
    Yer man, Bobby Kerr from Insomnia Coffee has some good info on this.

Yup, the population in Cork isn't quite there to support an alternative night out venue. As you say, everyone wants something different. I don't think there's been anything on offer though since... that place on Tuckey streey... can't remember the name closed down a few years ago. It'd be good to have something new to try out. It'll be a gamble but I think Cork is getting more diverse with it's tastes (there's been a boom of new, cool cafes in the past 2 years) so the timing is right IMO. Places like the Bodega, Crane Lane and Arthur Maynes that carry a slight "alternative" vibe are doing very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Doesn't seem like there's going to be any sort of alcohol licence whatsoever if it's an all ages venue. Would that put 'overage' people off going to gigs? The half moon does the occasional dry gig and that seems to work. If the right artist is there would over 18s go?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

TheChizler wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like there's going to be any sort of alcohol licence whatsoever if it's an all ages venue. Would that put 'overage' people off going to gigs? The half moon does the occasional dry gig and that seems to work. If the right artist is there would over 18s go?

what sort of loser would go to a gig without booze tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

They used to do all ages gigs in the Half Moon years ago and I went to 'em. Variety of aged people at it too. Sunday afternoons being deafened by The Redneck Manifesto, good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Could be an idea to run "bring your own beer" nights in there (for those over 18's, of course), if people really can't stand watching some one preform without a pint in their hand. There seems to have been a good few gigs doing this lately, but seems like they are one off type events, so don't really know how it would work for a place that is going to be a full time all-ages venue.

I also have no idea if there still are regular under ages gigs in Cork any more, but as Fuzz McG said, the Half Moon used to have gigs every Sunday (think it was called Blast) and they used to be fairly packed, so this could venture work.

Could be an idea to run "bring your own beer" nights in there (for those over 18's, of course), if people really can't stand watching some one preform without a pint in their hand. There seems to have been a good few gigs doing this lately, but seems like they are one off type events, so don't really know how it would work for a place that is going to be a full time all-ages venue.

I also have no idea if there still are regular under ages gigs in Cork any more, but as Fuzz McG said, the Half Moon used to have gigs every Sunday (think it was called Blast) and they used to be fairly packed, so this could venture work.
    Ah the good old Blast days... Problem was the only over 18 people there were creepy old men with cameras...
    I'm liking the byob idea, but it would be a nightmare to enforce the no under 18s drinking and I can't imagine it would be popular with the Gardaí. Wasn't that what the leisureplex byob venture got shut down for?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

I don't think its legal to have a venue like that where there's alcohol and children past a certain time, to be honest. And yeah, would definitely lead to problems with the Gardai regardless. You could always just do two gigs in the one day: one all-ages earlier on and then a later one in the day.

Or you know, just don't drink. Every other venue is essentially a bar/club that has live music, I don't see the harm in having just one alcohol-free live music venue.

I wasn't so much referring to the Blast gigs actually. The ones I went to in the Half Moon tended to be run by the venue itself, from what I recall. Blast was a BOTB type thing, pretty sure it ended up ripping off a lot of the bands involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    I wasn't so much referring to the Blast gigs actually. The ones I went to in the Half Moon tended to be run by the venue itself, from what I recall. Blast was a BOTB type thing, pretty sure it ended up ripping off a lot of the bands involved!

I think you're thinking of Blast Beat there, which was a battle of the bands competition for under age bands and sponsored by Coke. There was a couple of heats held in the Half Moon though. Dunno who ran Blast, but it was a monthly event in the Half Moon. Many good times were had at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

theglobe wrote: »

what sort of loser would go to a gig without booze tbf
    Not everyone needs alcohol in their system to have a good time. And before you ask, yes I do drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

I know they were running fundraisers etc. but is there any solid word on this opening yet? Would be great place for kids to get to know local music and hopefully would still be fans of at least some of the bands as they get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Splainc wrote: »
    I know they were running fundraisers etc. but is there any solid word on this opening yet? Would be great place for kids to get to know local music and hopefully would still be fans of at least some of the bands as they get older.

Must be opening soon just heard something briefly mentioned today on Red FM

Really? Can you remember what was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

The owners are all in leaving cert aren't they? Probably won't open till after then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's opening next month, according to the Echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Really? Can you remember what was said?

Sorry wasnt really listening to all just heard Kino reopening as music venue

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Sorry wasnt really listening to all just heard Kino reopening as music venue
    Cool cool heard it myself later, sounds pretty exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Very happy to hear it's reopening, it would be nice to see a bit life back in Cork

Advertisement