Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Laois Sprint April 6th 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

We won't feel it now. I'm in the first wave with the slower swimmers. I did the 30 lengths in 17 minutes last week, does that sound about right for wave 1? If I was a bit quicker than some of the others would I look like a right **** head overtaking people? Like if someone is quicker than me, I'd rather get out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Im in wave 4, my time is 15min for the 750. it will be fine to overtake it s a race after all.
    can anyone tell me if it is possible to have a friend register for me if i pass him on my ti card.
    save me a bit of pressure the morning of the race, he could do it on the Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Deedsie wrote: »
    We won't feel it now. I'm in the first wave with the slower swimmers. I did the 30 lengths in 17 minutes last week, does that sound about right for wave 1? If I was a bit quicker than some of the others would I look like a right **** head overtaking people? Like if someone is quicker than me, I'd rather get out of the way!

Have a chat with the guys in your lane beforehand. If they are all predicting slow times (i.e. >20mins) then tell a marshall and they will transfer you to a faster lane if one is available. The swim marshals in this tri are always very good. and in the past I've moved between lanes prior to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭widespread

I'm in wave 5 and my time at reg was 16 mins. I think they used your run time aswell to allocate lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 keatm1

Anyone know if there is a bag check or lockers available in the centre? Kinda wondering where to put keys etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

I am looking at a 24 mins for the swim but in wave 2 so i presume they are taking the run time into account as well. I expected to be in wave 1. Am a complete bag of nerves already, dreading the swim, happy man when i am on the bike...

keatm1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a bag check or lockers available in the centre? Kinda wondering where to put keys etc..

There are lockers in the leisure ctr........but then were do you put the locker key????? :) it's the type that you can wear on your wrist.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

griffin100 wrote: »
    There are lockers in the leisure ctr........but then were do you put the locker key????? :) it's the type that you can wear on your wrist.

Leave it in transition.

What kinda times are you all getting on the new bike route? I was out on it today, took me 49 minutes. Is that slow or middling? I know it's far from fast anyway. It's exactly bang on 21.5 km

What kinda times are you all getting on the new bike route? I was out on it today, took me 49 minutes. Is that slow or middling? I know it's far from fast anyway. It's exactly bang on 21.5 km

Whats the road surface like and is it hilly?

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Whats the road surface like and is it hilly?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/292731217

Road surface seems ok to me, few bumps here and there... The surface does smooth out a lot as you come back close to Portlaoise.

My cycling times have slowed down in the last month. I don't think I'm eating enough maybe! I was very sluggish on the bike yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The surface is ok, its back roads mainly and i think its downhill for the last few k. The run is hilly for the 1st 2kish but then its flat enough with a downhill finish.

6 degrees, no wind and clear blue skies............well thats Friday:D

Just to let you know that from the wind this week it will be in face on the way out on the cycle.

You can register tonight in the leisure centre in Portlaoise from 19:00 to 21:0. If you can do it i'd advise it as registration in the morning will be limited and if you're doing your first race you can see the lay out !

I'll be on site this evening from 17:15 and in the morning from 06:00 so pop over and say hello, i'll be the loud one on the mic:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

6 degrees, no wind and clear blue skies............well thats Friday:D

Just to let you know that from the wind this week it will be in face on the way out on the cycle.

You can register tonight in the leisure centre in Portlaoise from 19:00 to 21:0. If you can do it i'd advise it as registration in the morning will be limited and if you're doing your first race you can see the lay out !

I'll be on site this evening from 17:15 and in the morning from 06:00 so pop over and say hello, i'll be the loud one on the mic:cool:

Can you confirm what time registration closes in the morning.
    The website and this forum says 8.30 the race brief says 8.00

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Can you confirm what time registration closes in the morning.
    The website and this forum says 8.30 the race brief says 8.00

If you read back what i posted was a rough guide as the briefing hadn't be released. Its 8am as the junior race starts at 8:30 and senior race briefing is at 8:30 as well.

Sorry for any confusion but i was just giving an idea of the morning:)

If you read back what i posted was a rough guide as the briefing hadn't be released. Its 8am as the junior race starts at 8:30 and senior race briefing is at 8:30 as well.

Sorry for any confusion but i was just giving an idea of the morning:)

What time would you recommend people to arrive in the morning to set up? Ill be registered this evening! Swimming in wave 1 lane 4... In the pool for 09:00...

Bricking myself now!

I'd advise getting there early as you'll have to get into transition and set up. They'll be a bike check before you get into transition and this can lead to a long que. Get in, set up and go have a coffee or something. Oh and those who are there early get the best place on the racks in transition.

Remember you'll need to be there for race briefing at 8:30 !

What time would you recommend people to arrive in the morning to set up? Ill be registered this evening! Swimming in wave 1 lane 4... In the pool for 09:00...

Bricking myself now!

Been there i did my 1st race in Portlaoise 2 years ago, just smile and enjoy it !

Been there i did my 1st race in Portlaoise 2 years ago, just smile and enjoy it !

Ah I'm hoping once I get started ill be fine. The old belly rumblings are starting now. Dunno what to eat today, was thinking of a big dinner at 12:30 today and then snacks as the day goes on. Not a clue what to eat tomorrow morning either

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not a clue what to eat tomorrow morning either
    Your normal breakfast

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Your normal breakfast

I don't normally have breakfast until break time! I'm thinking a bowl of Cheerios a banana and a glass of Orange juice at seven. Have energy gels I might have just after the race brief

Don't leave it too late to get there as there may be difficulties getting parking.

Eat as normal today. Don't eat a huge meal late tonight though.

Don't drink coffee too close to the start or otherwise you might have tummy issues on the bike or run (unless you're use to drinking coffee - I'm not :))

Don't go too mad on the gels, this is only a short race. If you think you need a boost have one 20 mins before swim and maybe one at the start of the bike.

Relax and enjoy - this is a great beginners race.

I don't normally have breakfast until break time! I'm thinking a bowl of Cheerios a banana and a glass of Orange juice at seven. Have energy gels I might have just after the race brief

Unless you've used gels before i wouldn't bother with them, there's enough energy stored in your muscles for over 2 hrs of exercise so you have enough there without having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Unless you've used gels before i wouldn't bother with them, there's enough energy stored in your muscles for over 2 hrs of exercise so you have enough there without having them.

+1 on that. If you don't normally take gels then don't risk it in a race. They could leave you with stomach cramps on the run. As Elvis said, your body has enough energy so little need to supplement for a sprint distance race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Ahem....

Enough energy stored in muscles for over 2 hours of exercise???

Ah... ok I see.
    You said exercise... not Racing...

Agree with most - for a sprint a gel before swim is prob most needed.
    However if pushing to 1hr:30mins and above, then Gel's/Drinks are needed imo to have any hope of sustaining intensity.

Fazz wrote: »
    Ahem....

Enough energy stored in muscles for over 2 hours of exercise???

Ah... ok I see.
    You said exercise... not Racing...

Agree with most - for a sprint a gel before swim is prob most needed.
    However if pushing to 1hr:30mins and above, then Gel's/Drinks are needed imo to have any hope of sustaining intensity.

Agreed but for me its wine gums and not gels:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Hey there, does anybody know when I can get race belt before tomorrow? Thanks!

fibix wrote: »
    Hey there, does anybody know when I can get race belt before tomorrow? Thanks!

A local shop in Portlaoise Race Right Cycles will be on site in the morning with belts, bike stuff, gels, drinks etc :)

I think they'll also be a few students giving rub downs afterwards as well !

• Advertisement

A local shop in Portlaoise Race Right Cycles will be on site in the morning with belts, bike stuff, gels, drinks etc :)

Does that mean the Wheelworx passion wagon will not be given pride of place outside the front door of the leisure ctr? :D

Advertisement