Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odlums chocolate biscuit cake recipe.

Options
  • 22-01-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Hey guys made this cake following the odlums recipe, and it turned out very good and tasty, but it was a bit hard ?

Any ideas, it ended up like a giant solid block of choclate with biscuits through it :D was a bit hard to slice

I used Green and Blacks milk chocolate and followed the recipe, any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I made the same recipe over the weekend with Galaxy chocolate and it was fine! It's hard enough to cut through, but that is the biscuit I think? The important ingredient is the golden syrup- that's what keeps it soft and slicable. Maybe if you added a tiny bit more syrup it might soften for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Don't use Green & Blacks, too expensive! Use a mix of Lidl or Aldi milk chocolate and dark chocolate, half and half, and the dark should be 60%-80%, you need the cocoa solids of dark chocolate for flavour and the right texture. Galaxy chocolate is an eating chocolate, not great quality and VERY soft, so it would be much softer. You need the right amount of butter and golden syrup, and in fairness the weather at the moment would keep it very hard, practically frozen at room temp at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don't use Green & Blacks, too expensive! Use a mix of Lidl or Aldi milk chocolate and dark chocolate, half and half, and the dark should be 60%-80%, you need the cocoa solids of dark chocolate for flavour and the right texture. Galaxy chocolate is an eating chocolate, not great quality and VERY soft, so it would be much softer. You need the right amount of butter and golden syrup, and in fairness the weather at the moment would keep it very hard, practically frozen at room temp at the moment.
    I like the flavour of the green and blacks, i dont make cakes too often so when i do i always go with my favourite expensive choc :D

I think your right about the golden syrup, i got it in the new squeeezy bottles, and when squeezing it out it looked like a third of the bottle at the time, but now that i look at the bottle i only used about 1/5 of the bottle which is a good bit too little.

I think its cause in the squeezy bottle it sticks to the sides of the bottle loads so it looks like you squeezed out more than you did and when the bottle settles you can see you squeezed out less than you thought you did :)

Did you not weigh the golden syrup?

Did you not weigh the golden syrup?
    No, it says 150ml and i didnt fancy getting my measuring jug syrupy:D

I think theres something like 450ml in the bottle so i said if squeeze 1/3 of the bottle in thats that sorted................ as i explained previously the thickness of the syrup and how well it clings to the bottle were underestimated by me i believe, as its only when i looked at it today after it all settling to a level line that i see it was nowhere near 1/3 of a bottle i put in :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, that's why you can't cut it, because you didn't use enough golden syrup.

FYI, you could just put the bowl/pot on the scales and weigh the syrup that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If honey has to be poured from a squeezy bottle. I heat it just a little bit and it becomes more runny. I haven't done it with g.syrup but probably would work too. I feel squeezy bottles are a bit wasteful as there is a lot of the product you can't get at in them.

Yep what Faith said. I also have a little plastic measuring jug that I use to measure syrup, I just run a butter knife along the sides then and almost all of it comes off, no more is left than if I had melted chocolate in it. Takes seconds to wash it off, better option than making a cake that can't be cut!

Yep what Faith said. I also have a little plastic measuring jug that I use to measure syrup, I just run a butter knife along the sides then and almost all of it comes off, no more is left than if I had melted chocolate in it. Takes seconds to wash it off, better option than making a cake that can't be cut!
    The cake could be cut it just needed some persuasion :D

Yeah its the golden syrup allright, thanks for the suggestions folks.

Advertisement