Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Ascend P1 sim free 249.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

That looks like a good price to buy from an Irish company. I had quick look on aliexpress and $349 (€261) looked to be the going rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

They have just released a new 4.5 inch (1280x720), quad core phone for €299 which is probably the reason for the drop in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

groom wrote: »
    That looks like a good price to buy from an Irish company. I had quick look on aliexpress and $349 (€261) looked to be the going rate.

That's a different phone I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mememo wrote: »
    Expansys have the great looking Huawei Ascend P1 sim free for 249.99 http://www.expansys.ie/huawei-ascend-p1-228060/ . Not a bad price at all for this phone sim free
    they are not Irish. Just use country specific domains

Neither phone seems to come with LTE. Think I'll hold onto my Desire for a another few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

Neither phone seems to come with LTE. Think I'll hold onto my Desire for a another few months

Thought we were not going to get LTE for 2-3 more years ?

Thought we were not going to get LTE for 2-3 more years ?

First half of 2013
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056810402/1#post81810128

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/o2-ireland-4g-network-675504-Nov2012/
    THE COMPANY which operates the O2 phone network in Ireland has said it will begin rolling out its next generation, high-speed mobile broadband connections in the first half of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

We'll have LTE GTi in another few years so it might be worth waiting for that as well.

54kroc wrote: »
    We'll have LTE GTi in another few years so it might be worth waiting for that as well.

There aren't any phones with this future standard while LTE is currently in commercial use and will be in Ireland hopefully in a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If you're just going to be using LTE on your mobile I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll notice fúck all difference from 3G. If you're tethering a lot it might be worth it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Will there be €250 sim free LTE phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wouldn't be waiting about for LTE myself

Might wait for jellybean though. Could be stuck with 4.0 for a while if manufacturer decides not to update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats a risk for all Android phones that they set stalled for a long time on an older OS.

Looking it up all i could find was an official jelly bean beta and a rooted version so chances are it will probably be getting jelly bean sometime maybe lol you never can tell with android

Wouldn't be waiting about for LTE myself

Might wait for jellybean though. Could be stuck with 4.0 for a while if manufacturer decides not to update

I'm not waiting for JellyBean. Had it on my 3yo Desire for about 3 months or so. Will probably give 4.2 a whirl in the next week or so

I'm genuinely interested why people are being so dismissive of LTE. It promises to be a multiple of times faster than 3g from what I've read about it and from talking to people in the US about it. LTE should be in Ireland in a few months. I don't see any more desirable feature for up and coming phones on the horizon. Why do people believe it so unimportant?

In addition there could be a rash of new Chinese phones supporting LTE in the coming months. There'll likely be some near the €250 mark.

The original posted phone looks like decent value for someone needing a phone now but I think LTE will be worth waiting for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

LTE is like saorview, it's something alot of people thing they need to have but when it actually comes down to it alot of people will never actually need it's use.

Looking it up all i could find was an official jelly bean beta and a rooted version so chances are it will probably be getting jelly bean sometime maybe lol you never can tell with android

Huawei apparently use stock versions of Android with a few tweaks and there looks to be a few custom roms for it so I'd say it'd be a fine for keeping updated for the near future

LTE is like saorview, it's something alot of people thing they need to have but when it actually comes down to it alot of people will never actually need it's use.

I get your comparison but believe it supports my point. I don't use Saorview but I keep threatening to dump Sky and will need it one of these days. It is a standard feature if buying a modern TV and doesn't cost any more. Much like LTE will be in coming months. It'd be foolish to buy a TV that doesn't support it.

3G speeds are poor in comparison to wifi. If it's the case that LTE will as promised provide speeds and connection reliability promised that is near wifi quality and will be available in the coming months for little or no extra cost then it's worth waiting for.

It might not deliver what's promised but then again it probably be a vast improvement on 3G

For me at least LTE is just one of these flash words to get people to spend more money on new contracts and new phones it not something you will use very much . It wont matter in everyday browsing as its the phone its self that it causing most of the slow load times on wedpages . The only thing i can see it being usefull for is downloading large files which 99% of people wont be doing on there phone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I know they're tricky to get but a nexus 4 is only 50 quid more (no LTE here either before someone says it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

do u need LTE?no
    do u need China stuff here?no
    say no to Chinese expansion in Europe.

faral wrote: »
    do u need LTE?no

I for one am ok buying from China at least Chinese company's dont charge you more for a brand name than what is actually in the phone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm genuinely interested why people are being so dismissive of LTE. It promises to be a multiple of times faster than 3g from what I've read about it and from talking to people in the US about it. LTE should be in Ireland in a few months. I don't see any more desirable feature for up and coming phones on the horizon. Why do people believe it so unimportant?

In addition there could be a rash of new Chinese phones supporting LTE in the coming months. There'll likely be some near the €250 mark.

The original posted phone looks like decent value for someone needing a phone now but I think LTE will be worth waiting for

I just think it's one of those things that will eventually be phased in but you could be waiting a long time if things don't go to schedule like they normally don't. Even if roll out begins early this year, how many months before switch on or coverage going to be significant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

do u need LTE?no
    Its all made in china, dude....cheap labour for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

do u need LTE?no
    So... don't buy any electronics at all? Or just don't buy directly from China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Don't buy directly from China.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I really wouldn't worry about LTE. It will likely be at least 2 years before it is widely deployed in Ireland and starts coming down from a premium price *

By then you will likely be looking to buy a new phone anyway.

Don't forget there is always something newer/better coming just around the corner. For instance LTE Advanced, the next standard after LTE.

If you need a phone now, buy one of these and enjoy it.

* Look at the prices of LTE in the UK, very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

3G remains miles ahead of home broadband in a lot of areas in terms of speed. If and when 4G has saturation coverage at a decent price it will probably be far more important as an in-home replacement than as a feature on a handset. It certainly wouldn't be a feature I'd even enter into the purchase equation at this end of the market.

3G is far more than enough for me in main when I'm on the move and I'd hazard I'm in the overwhelming majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Don't buy directly from China.

Why not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as others have said, you probably won't notice much difference between LTE and HSPDA on a phone in terms of speed, but the coverage for LTE might be better as its less sensitive to distance and goes through objects better (as I understand it).

My experience from the G300 is that Huawei's stock ROMs are terrible (and any custom ROMs available are generally based on stock) and I'd be reluctant to buy another phone from them.

Advertisement