Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL International Co-op

Options
  • 22-01-2013 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm only in first year and it's along way away, but I was thinking of doing my Co-op in Spain, Germany or even the USA.

However, I'm unsure on how the places are selected. As in . . . is it only those with the highest QCA's that get the placements in places like Spain etc or are these International places in high demand at all? I mean, do most students that apply to go abroad, actually get to do it? Or Is it just the straight A students that get the honor of International Coop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Hello,

You choose yourself if you want to go abroad for co op or not. The only criteria that need to be met is that you have a QCA of 2.6 or above (might be 2.7, i can't remember!).

You will choose a country where you would like to go, and the coop office will send your cv to companies which they have dealt with before in that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

^ QCA of 2.6 minimum is what we were told last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 engineer94

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    ^ QCA of 2.6 minimum is what we were told last year.
    So if you have QCA > 2.6 you can go for definite?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

engineer94 wrote: »
    So if you have QCA > 2.6 you can go for definite?

It means you can apply to go.

An employer still has to hire you, which is never guaranteed regardless of whether you go international or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 engineer94

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It means you can apply to go.

An employer still has to hire you, which is never guaranteed regardless of whether you go international or not.
    Does QCA matter when it comes to the hiring part of the process? Or is it just the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

The min qca of 2.6 isn't for all courses. I know of numerous people who have went on international co op with qca of less than 2.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

engineer94 wrote: »
    Does QCA matter when it comes to the hiring part of the process? Or is it just the interview.

Well, obviously the employer will want to see how you have been doing academically so if you're only scraping 2.0 then they might ask why.

Advertisement