Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marley Grange House

• 22-01-2013 3:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Anybody know the plans for Marley Grange House. From the article below is says that it was bought last March after it was destroyed by fire in 2010. There seems to be renovation work being carried out on the house near to the main gate. Be great to see this building restored. A complete disgrace it was burnt down.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0329/1224314041894.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wouldn't say it's a disgrace , that implies it was let or intentionally burnt down,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I think the disgrace is that it was uninsured at the time it burnt down and then sat idle to further decay. It was a beautiful house, I was up there when there was a content's sale on some years ago and can clearly remember the beautiful tiling and fireplaces.

OP, here's a link to the planning permission documents http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144®ref=SD12A/0189&type=apps&dateoptions=any&area=Any&keywordtype=location&term=marlay

If that doesn't work on the PP page, search marlay in location. All the floor plans etc are there. Nice to see something happening there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

ted1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say it's a disgrace , that implies it was let or intentionally burnt down,

The building is a listed structure built in the 1860's.
    For whatever reason malicious or otherwise destroying it by setting fire to it was a disgrace.

It was unoccupied didn't set fire to itself. Read the article.

WildRosie wrote: »
    I think the disgrace is that it was uninsured at the time it burnt down and then sat idle to further decay. It was a beautiful house, I was up there when there was a content's sale on some years ago and can clearly remember the beautiful tiling and fireplaces.

OP, here's a link to the planning permission documents http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144®ref=SD12A/0189&type=apps&dateoptions=any&area=Any&keywordtype=location&term=marlay

If that doesn't work on the PP page, search marlay in location. All the floor plans etc are there. Nice to see something happening there.

Thanks Rosie

At the time it was uninsured the owner was minted and running a successful building company. He could have made any repairs himself with cash.
    No need for insurance.
    I was actually in school with the guys that owned it and lived in it during the 90s and 80s.
    Back then we thought they were made living in a castle.

• Advertisement

At the time it was uninsured the owner was minted and running a successful building company. He could have made any repairs himself with cash.
    No need for insurance.
    At the time he bought it, he was minted and running a successful building company, but three months after the house burned down, he wasn't. Reading that article, I highly doubt he would have been in a position to restore himself.
    Mr Mellon recently revealed it would be fair to say he was "a little financially challenged at the moment".
    Link: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hardpressed-niall-mellon-puts-his-country-mansion-up-for-sale-2392432.html

It should have been insured and there should have been someone on site, like there is down the road in Loreto Abbey. The point is, no amount of cash is going to restore that house to what it was.

I'm sure the new owner/owners will spare no expense.

True will never be the same.Crazy it was not insured. But will be interesting to see the end result when refurbished

At the time he bought it, he was minted and running a successful building company, but three months after the house burned down, he wasn't. Reading that article, I highly doubt he would have been in a position to restore himself.

Link: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hardpressed-niall-mellon-puts-his-country-mansion-up-for-sale-2392432.html

It should have been insured and there should have been someone on site, like there is down the road in Loreto Abbey. The point is, no amount of cash is going to restore that house to what it was.

We'll agree to differ, but in my view if you have the cash, staff and contacts to replace then there is no need for insurance. The abbey is very different in size and potential.

It would be presumptuous to assume that he would have had the resources, cash or otherwise, at some future date to restore it in the event of fire etc. Having said that, there could have been a number of reasons why it wasn't insured. But we'll agree to disagree :)

OT: Have you been in the Abbey? It's beautiful - I really hope it's preserved and put to good use someday.

Years and years ago, I grew up in Marley so being an adventorus youngster there's not many places in rathfarnham I've not being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

That place has changed hands for alot of money over the years when was the last time it was used as a fulltime home? I seen a bit of work been done recently to the smaller house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gregd1

hi guys. I used to be a security guard there it was the best job I ever had. I stayed in a mobile home beside the stables. I fell in love with the house. there is a big family of badgers living on the grounds I used to go out at 3 to 4 am with a spotlight and follow them they didn't mind me. I know every square inch of the house and the ground. I was working there when the British embassy owned it. I had a few spooky experiences there to. I always sad id love to work and live there as a grounds keeper and security guard when the fixed it up. its a shame what happened to it I really hope it gets fixed up. would be great as something the public could visit. I miss Marley grange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gfarnan

My ex-boss owns that now, he's making a great job up there now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What's he doing with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was actually in school with the guys that owned it and lived in it during the 90s and 80s.

Likewise...and I wouldnt have said that the house was in stunning condition on the inside. I seem to remember it being in quite a bit of disrepair, as these old buildings often are.
    The McGranes still made a fair bit out of selling it though!

The gate house has been beautifully done up to a high standard, a fair amount of cash dropped on that. Bit of a busy road these days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gfarnan

Zascar wrote: »
    What's he doing with it?

Exactly what it is says on the planning permission doc, at least small house is finished as his brother has moved in. He'll have to have it finished (or a lot done) by october, massive Halloween party there

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LPeaceLawrence

Luckycharm wrote: »
    That place has changed hands for alot of money over the years when was the last time it was used as a fulltime home? I seen a bit of work been done recently to the smaller house.

My grandparents owned and lived in Marlay Grange from 1961-1973. My grandfather bred and raced thoroughbreds and at that time Marlay Grange extended across the Grange Road down by the entrance to the stables and gardner's house. The main gate where there is still a home was a large green wooden carriage entry gate with a pedestrian gate as well. During these years my grandparents restored, loved, lived and maintained Marlay Grange to all of it's true glory! I lived with them and attended Stratford College and seeing Marlay Grange in the condition it has been in is one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen and felt. We truly loved our home there....

This having been my home is a horrifying and tragic video. The people who burned Marlay Grange down, the ones who destroyed her beauty, who placed cement blocks to make a wall where once there were windows and doors to the gardens... These people are terrible people.
    She needs to be restored to her full beauty or respectfully taken down and something new built, but not to be treated as she has been these last forty years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Behalf

Hi LPeaceLawrence,
    Fear not the house has been restored to it's former glory, as have the gardens. Would love to get any old photos you might have of the gardens or house?
    Rgds,
    Bobby

Oh, you've no idea what great news that is! I've been up all night with the house and all the gardens, everything on my mind. Really, still unable to sleep and it's 3:25 in the morning! I do have a few that I was able to find when my grandmother died and I took care of all of my grandparents belongings. I will have some copies made and forward them to you if you like. Someday, if I've the fortitude it would be lovely to stop by for a visit. The years spent there were, without doubt some of my happiest! I'd love to give you some more history of my grandfather and his horse racing history if you'd like as well as that of Marlay Grange.
    Thank you for letting me know that she's back together...I really have been hurting all day. Let me know how to get the photos I do have to you.
    Sincerely,
    Leslie Peace Lawrence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

gfarnan wrote: »
    Exactly what it is says on the planning permission doc, at least small house is finished as his brother has moved in. He'll have to have it finished (or a lot done) by october, massive Halloween party there

Open boards.ie invitation to this party I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Nice fireworks show just finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

Pity the party is still going on. I live about a mile away and the noise is bloody awful. Can't sleep, kids still awake with it. Gardai can't/wont do anything about it. Really p****d off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dawnoshea

Can you please tell them to shut the f**k up. I predict some serious payback from the local community tomorrow and especially when the council office opens Monday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Has anyone rang the guards?? It's unreal - and I'm as far down as the esso on grange road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dawnoshea

Several of my neighbours have been on to rathfarnham garda station. They say there's nothing they can do because it's private property. They've been up several times to ask them to turn it down but they're obviously giving them and us the 2 fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks I tried calling the guards and its constantly busy. There'll be murder tomorrow - I'm going to write to them - not that they'll give a sh1t.

• Advertisement

I Persume that your taking the piss👎 I grew up on dargle valley I marley and we had a bonfire there every year along with plenty of fireworks. There's was also other bonfires in the estate, for people to complain about a private party on Halloween is not only comical but un justified

Advertisement