Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marley Grange House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Coyler

Surely you have some physical evidence? A photograph? An invite? Not too worry, I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cherrybaby

Hi all, I am really blown away by all the comments here, seriously people, I have three small children, that slept soundly last night. If this concert was for charity, well then I take my hat off to Bobby Healy. Our young people of Ireland are crying out for help, you all complain about your children unable to sleep, (for one night!! One night!!!) when for a vast amount of children suffering from sleep deprivation, starvation, poverty is life. One man says he gives a donation silently to charity, bravo, but I imagine, if one person heard jerry fish, another the strypes, serious money must be getting made for this charity. Ps go easy on me I'm new to boards.ie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Coyler wrote: »
    Surely you have some physical evidence? A photograph? An invite? Not too worry, I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow.

This from Jerry fish page.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lector

Looks like Jerry Fish can confirm it... check out his facbook page (can't seem to post link here)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

In aid of Bernardos, I'm fairly sure they are just beneficiaries of the event and had no involvement in the organisation.
    There hardly gonna turn down a €40k donation just because the event is going to cause some light disruption to locals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Sylvius

cherrybaby wrote: »
    Hi all, I am really blown away by all the comments here, seriously people, I have three small children, that slept soundly last night. If this concert was for charity, well then I take my hat off to Bobby Healy. Our young people of Ireland are crying out for help, you all complain about your children unable to sleep, (for one night!! One night!!!) when for a vast amount of children suffering from sleep deprivation, starvation, poverty is life. One man says he gives a donation silently to charity, bravo, but I imagine, if one person heard jerry fish, another the strypes, serious money must be getting made for this charity. Ps go easy on me I'm new to boards.ie!!

Really. It was necessary to generate enough noise to result in 600 complaints to the Gardai. I heard Jerry Fish too. He uses quite colourful language on a loudspeaker in a residential area at 1:00 am in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sylvius wrote: »
    Really. It was necessary to generate enough noise to result in 600 complaints to the Gardai. I heard Jerry Fish too. He uses quite colourful language on a loudspeaker in a residential area at 1:00 am in the morning.

You've nothing to back up this 600 figure at all, it's just your word.

Simply put, I don't believe it.

Along with the charity event was just for some guy to "show his pals what a cool guy he was", and that Barnados were embarrassed by the money they received (bizarre statement).

All complete rubbish most likely, please don't present this stuff as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ismiseauds

Just because an event is held under the banner of a charity event, regardless of the cause or money raised does not make it acceptable to become a public nuisance and disturb hundreds of people in their homes into the early hours of the morning. I am sure any reputable charity organisation would agree, and would not welcome the bad pr it generates.

Hundreds of complaints were made, the Garda were up there time after time and yet the music level was not altered one bit so as far as charity goes how about being charitable to the surrounding neighbours, they didn't give a flying f@@€; about people complaining which shows exactly what this evening was about.

nm wrote: »

Simply put, phone Dundrum Gardai (like I did at 1:45 this morning when I couldn't get through to Rathfarnham as it was continuously engaged).

Along with the charity event was just for some guy to "show his pals what a cool guy he was", and that Barnados were embarrassed by the money they received (bizarre statement).

All complete rubbish most likely, please don't present this stuff as fact.

So the Garda I spoke to was lying? Were they just blocking up their own switch so no one could get through for the craic then? Seems lots of people have been given the same figures too, guess they were all lied to as well, cause we all know the Garda have nothing better to be doing with their time right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Simply put, phone Dundrum Gardai (like I did at 1:45 this morning when I couldn't get through to Rathfarnham as it was continuously engaged).

So because the phone was engaged 600 people complained? Like where is your proof, did you personally collect this data? Stop throwing around a made up number.

Maybe they left it off the hook because you wouldn't stop calling them? Who knows.

Look at this way, 600 calls - last I heard most garda stations didn't have a call centre in them.

Even if each call took just 1 minute, that's 10 hours on the phone. How long was the music on for, 3, maybe 4 hours?

As I said, complete rubbish, and these sort of outlandish claims do nothing for your cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

It was necessary. It was a private party on a saturday night with live bands.

You simply cannot please all the people all the time.

Few hundred were put out by the noise they felt it necessary to phone the police, another few hundreds enjoyed them selves and others simply couldn't give a ****e about it.

I think the enjoyment of the party and money raised for charity outweighs the few hours inconvenience felt by some.

Ismiseauds wrote: »
    So the Garda I spoke to was lying? Were they just blocking up their own switch so no one could get through for the craic then? Seems lots of people have been given the same figures too, guess they were all lied to as well, cause we all know the Garda have nothing better to be doing with their time right?

The Gardai have plenty better things to be doing than taking hundreds of calls from moaning people.

Noise coming from a private party doesnt concern the Gardai. It has nothing to do with them. Its not police business & people should not be wasting their time & wrecking their heads by calling in to them to give out.

I heard music coming from there at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Then I went out and came back at 10.30, it was still going on and as we all know now, continued until 2am, so yes, I guess that's 9 or 10 hours.

Lector wrote: »
    I heard music coming from there at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Then I went out and came back at 10.30, it was still going on and as we all know now, continued until 2am, so yes, I guess that's 9 or 10 hours.

I was home at 5 and heard absolutely nothing, and even if that was true why in gods name would you complain about noise from a neighbours house at 4 in the afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Lector wrote: »

Just lying through your teeth now.

Maybe they left it off the hook because you wouldn't stop calling them? Who knows.

Look at this way, 600 calls - last I heard most garda stations didn't have a call centre in them.

Even if each call took just 1 minute, that's 10 hours on the phone. How long was the music on for, 3, maybe 4 hours?

As I said, complete rubbish, and these sort of outlandish claims do nothing for your cause.

We are talking about multiple calls to multiple Garda stations, not just Rathfarnham. They had a pain in their back side with the whole thing as much as the residents did so what reason would they have to lie and why then are Rathfarnham Garda station themselves filing an official complaint with the Co council tomorrow morning. If you doubt me call them and ask for yourself. 01 - 6666500.

I was home at 5 and heard absolutely nothing, and even if that was true why in gods name would you complain about noise from a neighbours house at 4 in the afternoon?

So that explains it. You're either deaf or you don't live that close to Marley Grange because the noise was going from late afternoon.

??? who DID compain of noise at 4 in the afternoon... no one on here I reckon

• Advertisement

We are talking about multiple calls to multiple Garda stations, not just Rathfarnham. They had a pain in their back side with the whole thing as much as the residents did so what reason would they have to lie and why then are Rathfarnham Garda station themselves filing an official complaint with the Co council tomorrow morning. If you doubt me call them and ask for yourself. 01 - 6666500.

So one garda that you spoke to had correlated all the calls from all stations and reported the final count back to you? Really?

Obviously I'm not bothered calling the council, one poster said a couple of hundred, you say 600, I reckon 10, no one knows any of this as fact at all. As I said I'll wait for the breaking news special.

So one garda that you spoke to had correlated all the calls from all stations and reported the final count back to you? Really?

Obviously I'm not bothered calling the council, one poster said a couple of hundred, you say 600, I reckon 10, no one knows any of this as fact at all. As I said I'll wait for the breaking news special.

Eh No..I called dundrum and my partner called rathfarnham, I can add 400 + 200 on my own thanks.

The reason why we ended up speaking to two was because we couldn't get through to begin with.

Eh No..I called dundrum and my partner called rathfarnham, I can add 400 + 200 on my own thanks.

The reason why we ended up speaking to two was because we couldn't get through to begin with.

So the other poster is your partner? And you both registered on boards.ie just to complain about this party?

McCrack wrote: »
    The Gardai have plenty better things to be doing than taking hundreds of calls from moaning people.

Noise coming from a private party doesnt concern the Gardai. It has nothing to do with them. Its not police business & people should not be wasting their time & wrecking their heads by calling in to them to give out.

And I'm sure they have better things to be doing than driving up there and asking that the noise level be reduced only to be smugly given the proverbial two fingers. The Garda seem concerned enough however to be making an official complaint about it themselves tomorrow, so I'm sure it won't be the last that will be heard on the matter.

So the other poster is your partner? And you both registered on boards.ie just to complain about this party?

Nope sorry to disappoint, my partner is asleep in bed as we were up all night with some house party.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 addda

I wasn't aware that is was in aid of charity and if I knew that last night I might have been more relaxed about it. This is where I have a problem with it. I live across the road and there was no advance warning about this party/concert or advance apology for the noise. At least with the concerts we are aware of them in advance and have been given notification of times and inconveniences. Secondly it was VERY loud for what has been deemed as a private resident party and anyone saying otherwise mustn't live near the house. If I knew such an event was on last night I probably would have just gone out myself.

I did ring Rathfarnham Garda station shortly after 12, not so much to complain but more to see what was going on as I thought it was coming from the hockey club. The Garda I was speaking to told me that they had already received over 400 calls at that stage and they had been up a few times to ask them to turn down the music. While I have no issue with people holding such an event, the fact that the organisers could be so ignorant to the complaints and the Gardaí is appalling. There was no need for such an event to be at such a high decibel and they could have turned it down but they chose not to. As a result Barnados are getting a bad name and such an event most likely will not go ahead next year as I know the Residence Associations are planning on complaining to the county council. With a few issues surrounding the concerts this year the CoCo will want to keep the Residence Associations happy.

On a side note, can anyone clarify if tickets were sold for this event and if alcohol was sold at it? If there was, do they not need some kind of licence or can the Gardaí not intervene as technically in that case it is a public event? More curious than anything else about that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

no alcohol sold and people donated to Bernardos to get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Coyler

Thanks for the confirmation up thread. Appreciated. Got confirmation from Barnardos as well.

As for the topic, I actually went to Rathfarnham Garda station at 1am and can confirm that the Garda said "at least 400 complaints" at that stage. In fact she said the phones were blocked with complaints and urged me to make a formal complaint to the council.

As others said, call the station if you're so sure we are all making it up.

And I'm sure they have better things to be doing than driving up there and asking that the noise level be reduced only to be smugly given the proverbial two fingers. The Garda seem concerned enough however to be making an official complaint about it themselves tomorrow, so I'm sure it won't be the last that will be heard on the matter.

I find that difficult to accept that the Gardai are going to make an "official complaint" to DLR council on behalf of upset local residents.

A few hours noise from private property once a year is not grounds to invoke any civil remedy. The Gardai know that & DLR council know that.

I feel sorry for the council staff tomorrow morning that are going to have to deal with the moaning phonecalls.

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    I find that difficult to accept that the Gardai are going to make an "official complaint" to DLR council on behalf of upset local residents.

A few hours noise from private property once a year is not grounds to invoke any civil remedy. The Gardai know that & DLR council know that.

I feel sorry for the council staff tomorrow morning that are going to have to deal with the moaning phonecalls.

Their words not mine, if you want to call and confirm that with them then go ahead.

Advertisement