Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marley Grange House

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭McCrack

Not at all. I know what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HHHMMM

Bit double standard there now D McC. You have no sympathy for residents listening to moans of the global sensation that is Jerry Fish til all hours on their own time but you have "sympathy" for SDCC workers doing their jobs. Difference is they are getting paid to listen to the moans, we weren't.......are you for real??

Btw did you bring the kids along last night, were they rocking out at 2am or is that only ok when it's other people's children being affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sounds like a great party anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't live anywhere near the area so didn't affect me in the least, but I'm really surpised that some posters think it's ok to blast music at ridiculous levels and discomfit one's neighbours, including young families, until well into the well hours. Who the hell really believes that's an alright thing to do?? Would those posters be alright about it if I moved in next door and blasted music until 2am? I imagine I'd be getting a knock on the door fairly sharply, and I wouldn't blame them in the least.

And so what if it's for charity? Unreasonable behaviour is unreasonable behaviour- regardless of the motivations behind it.

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't live anywhere near the area so didn't affect me in the least, but I'm really surpised that some posters think it's ok to blast music at ridiculous levels and discomfit one's neighbours, including young families, until well into the well hours.

All the time, definitely not OK no. But once off or once in a blue moon, til 2am.. not exactly the end of the world.

It's just a party, people have parties sometimes. That's all, nothing to see here really in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Firstly to anyone not from Rathfarnham/Dundrum/Churchtown and thinks this was a "house party" ask yourselves how many houses in Dublin could fit 500-800 people? This was a concert.
    ted1 wrote: »
    This from Jerry fish page.

At what stage does a "private event" become a public event?

Surely when tickets are on sale to the general public on an event management website (whelanslive.com) this would deem it to be a public concert?

It was ridiculous, anyone who thinks otherwise is just as ridiculous. However it was not the end of the world, life will move on. Hopefully however it will prompt a review of both noise pollution and "private party" events laws.

cart man wrote: »
    Surely when tickets are on sale to the general public on an event management website (whelanslive.com) this would deem it to be a public concert?

:confused:

Whelanslive? I just had a look at the Jerry Fish page, I think you might be confusing this thing with their gig in Whelans the night before (Friday 31st).

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing to suggest there was tickets on sale to the general public for this party. It was definitely a private party, albeit a big one as house parties go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

nm wrote: »

Whelanslive? I just had a look at the Jerry Fish page, I think you might be confusing this thing with their gig in Whelans the night before (Friday 31st).

Unless I'm missing something there is nothing to suggest there was tickets on sale to the general public for this party. It was definitely a private party, albeit a big one as house parties go.

my information regarding sale of tickets came from post #94

The attachment advertising the "Private party and fundraiser" clearly says at the top "Tickets €16.50 from whelanslive.com phone 1980200078"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HHHMMM

It was a concert not a house party NM........tickets were "sold" to attendees albeit not by Whelans. Outdoor concerts should not be permitted until 2 am. House parties are a very different matter. Bobby Healy needs to rethink next year. No-one is suggesting he can't throw a party but when planning it himself and his wife need to plan it as if his children were at home. It would be a different gig then no doubt. They would not subject their children to that kind of noise even for one night of that I am certain.

cart man wrote: »
    my information regarding sale of tickets came from post #94

The attachment advertising the "Private party and fundraiser" clearly says at the top "Tickets €16.50 from whelanslive.com phone 1980200078"

You're reading it wrong, that part refers to the gig in Whelans, which is above it and cut out from that screenshot.

http://www.jerry-fish.com/tour/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

All the time, definitely not OK no. But once off or once in a blue moon, til 2am.. not exactly the end of the world.

It's just a party, people have parties sometimes. That's all, nothing to see here really in my book.

There's about 300 houses in marley estate, if each had a party once a year then that's basically every day covered.

ted1 wrote: »
    There's about 300 houses in marley estate, if each had a party once a year then that's basically every day covered.

And if my aunt had balls.. what's your point? No one is allowed ever have a party, in case everyone in the world has one?

And if my aunt had balls.. what's your point? No one is allowed ever have a party, in case everyone in the world has one?

A house party and concert are two different things, house parties don't have several different bands playing through large sound systems. Was it even in the house or on the grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taytor

HHHMMM wrote: »
    It was a concert not a house party NM........tickets were "sold" to attendees albeit not by Whelans. Outdoor concerts should not be permitted until 2 am. House parties are a very different matter. Bobby Healy needs to rethink next year. No-one is suggesting he can't throw a party but when planning it himself and his wife need to plan it as if his children were at home. It would be a different gig then no doubt. They would not subject their children to that kind of noise even for one night of that I am certain.

Well you are wrong then because he did have his children there.. I left at midnight. I live locally I could hear the music outside my house but my child was fast asleep inside the house. Don't understand why people have to get their knickers in such a twist over some noise from a neighbour for one night in the whole year... Perhaps ye are just pissed off ye didn't get invited and are sitting in on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 psorrento

Marlay Grange house is a large house on a substantial piece of land opposite Eden House pub. The concert was outside. The Marley Grange housing estate has no relation to this house and is a residential enclave consisting of 500 houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I just read all the complaints from female sounding names in this thread in the voice of Ross O'Carroll Kelly's mother and the male sounding names in his father's.

I can see where Paul Howard gets the inspiration for his novels from!

Funderland is coming soon folks better get a committee together soon if you want it sent Northside.

psorrento wrote: »
    Marlay Grange house is a large house on a substantial piece of land opposite Eden House pub. The concert was outside. The Marley Grange housing estate has no relation to this house and is a residential enclave consisting of 500 houses.

I know that ( I lived there for 17 years) but as the sound could be heard there, you can't use the excuse that it's only once a year because if each house had a party once a year then every night would be a party

• Registered Users Posts: 3 honestjoey

Yes some people may have been inconvenienced.
    I've been there myself, kept awake by a neighbours house party with a red eye flight looming in the early hours, it's annoying and you're f*$king tired after it.

But in small note of perspective, if you look a little farther than the end of your own nose and your mild inconvenience, god forbid you were kept up all night by your fathers domestic violence, seeing your mother being repeatedly beaten to an inch of her life and then scalded with boiling water. Picking up your mothers teeth off the floor while she sits, swollen to the point of bare recognition, all while trying to hide anywhere you could to avoid being molested night after night. Forced to drink bleach and eat your own excrement, tied up for weeks at at time naked and lashed for being a 'dirty' person. Nothing in comparison to your having your spine broken from 'a fall down the stairs' and not receiving any medical attention for 6 months, crawling inch by inch to eat food from the dogs bowl because you were that hungry.

Spare a thought for those that are on altogether different level of 'inconvenience' to yours, for christ's sake.
    People... well children will benefit from the kind generosity of the organiser, I seriously, no seriously feel genuinely embarrassed for anyone that publicly kicks up sh1t about this.

Get over your selves, you actually sicken me.

Night Night x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

honestjoey wrote: »
    Yes some people may have been inconvenienced.
    I've been there myself, kept awake by a neighbours house party with a red eye flight looming in the early hours, it's annoying and you're f*$king tired after it.

But in small note of perspective, if you look a little farther than the end of your own nose and your mild inconvenience, god forbid you were kept up all night by your fathers domestic violence, seeing your mother being repeatedly beaten to an inch of her life and then scalded with boiling water. Picking up your mothers teeth off the floor while she sits, swollen to the point of bare recognition, all while trying to hide anywhere you could to avoid being molested night after night. Forced to drink bleach and eat your own excrement, tied up for weeks at at time naked and lashed for being a 'dirty' person. Nothing in comparison to your having your spine broken from 'a fall down the stairs' and not receiving any medical attention for 6 months, crawling inch by inch to eat food from the dogs bowl because you were that hungry.

Spare a thought for those that are on altogether different level of 'inconvenience' to yours, for christ's sake.
    People... well children will benefit from the kind generosity of the organiser, I seriously, no seriously feel genuinely embarrassed for anyone that publicly kicks up sh1t about this.

Get over your selves, you actually sicken me.

Night Night x

What a nonsense post. Actually, what a disgusting post.

How do you know that other posters don't contribute lots of money to Barnardos?

Here's some bloody perspective for you- many of the posters on this thread who complained about the noise are caring parents of small children, and are protesting about the fact that their kids were kept awake by the noise. Bear that in mind before you lash out using the worst forms of parental abuse in some pathetic attempt to silence them. If others had the same level of concern for their kids as that displayed here by posters, then Barnardos mightn't be needed in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 honestjoey

@Einhard 3:24 am and you're still banging on that self-righteous drum?
    Are you not tired from being kept up all night? Surely so?

Again, I'm embarrassed for you. Give it a rest or go get some counselling for the obviously huge affliction put upon you, or simply get a fe*king LIFE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dawnoshea

You have a 10 year throwing up from hearing some music??

You might have bigger problems than a neighbour's party.

Yes nm. Imagine that! Music so loud it caused a 10-year-old child to suffer such a bad migraine she spent most of the night throwing up. From your tone I'm assuming this is a trivial issue to you but something I find ironic given Barnardo's remit. Ever had a migraine nm? Ever had to care for a child who's prone to migraines?

This is not a community prone to moaning. This is the third consecutive year that Healy has held his "charity" bash. If you inquire from the local authorities I think you will find that there have never been any substantial complaints about previous events - I am only suggesting you base your comments on actual facts while simultaneously acknowledging that your ability to do so is obviously lacking.

I love a good shindig as much as the next person. Been known to host an impressive how-down myself actually. Love being so close to Marley for the Summer gigs so I can hear them from my back garden. But the sheer volume of complaints to the Gardai, DLR and DSCC (or do I need to spell those out for you dar'lin) would give the normal individual at least a hint of the distress it caused locally. But hey, don't let us ruin your 'rock on dude' buzz. Do please send us on your address and when we meet Bobby Healy's reps in Court, we'd be happy to tell him that you'd only love to have his decibels rattling your windows next year.

Party on man..

dawnoshea wrote: »
    Yes nm. Imagine that! Music so loud it caused a 10-year-old child to suffer such a bad migraine she spent most of the night throwing up. From your tone I'm assuming this is a trivial issue to you but something I find ironic given Barnardo's remit. Ever had a migraine nm? Ever had to care for a child who's prone to migraines?

Your tone is suggesting that that is something easy to imagine. In fact it's something very hard to imagine.
    As I said already though in the post you chose to ignore, if it is the case then I fully take my original post back. Don't let that get in the way of your outrage though.
    dawnoshea wrote: »
    This is not a community prone to moaning. This is the third consecutive year that Healy has held his "charity" bash. If you inquire from the local authorities I think you will find that there have never been any substantial complaints about previous events - I am only suggesting you base your comments on actual facts while simultaneously acknowledging that your ability to do so is obviously lacking.

I love a good shindig as much as the next person. Been known to host an impressive how-down myself actually. Love being so close to Marley for the Summer gigs so I can hear them from my back garden. But the sheer volume of complaints to the Gardai, DLR and DSCC (or do I need to spell those out for you dar'lin) would give the normal individual at least a hint of the distress it caused locally. But hey, don't let us ruin your 'rock on dude' buzz. Do please send us on your address and when we meet Bobby Healy's reps in Court, we'd be happy to tell him that you'd only love to have his decibels rattling your windows next year.

Party on man..

So in summary - Blah blah blah, jab jab, I need to spell everything out for you, yadda yadda, you can't acknowledge facts, insult insult, "rock on", sarcasm sarcasm.

Did I miss anything in your post worth responding to?

There is some blatant exaggeration going on in this thread, some seeming hellbent on blowing things out of proportion (and even some apparent personal beef against the organiser "showing off" and what not), all from people that just registered on this site solely to do this.

When it was just a party with music that ended at 2am, on one Saturday night. For charity as I read on this thread. Hardly "neighbours from hell" type stuff at all.

My opinion of the noise I heard, no big deal.
    Yours is that it was the end of the world as we know it and heads must roll.

As I said pages ago, difference of opinion.

And as I said also pages ago, mine is that some people should really get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It wasn't aa party, it was an outdoor concert.

You can belittle posters ask you want nm, but the fact remains that a private individual held an outdoor concert with excessively loud music until 2am and there was nothing anyone could do about it, police included.
    that's wrong in many people's opinions.

They could have equally played until 7am, would you think that's also no big deal?

GreeBo wrote: »
    It wasn't aa party, it was an outdoor concert.

You can belittle posters ask you want nm, but the fact remains that a private individual held an outdoor concert with excessively loud music until 2am and there was nothing anyone could do about it, police included.
    that's wrong in many people's opinions.

I'm belittling people? I'm the one being insulted here above by Dawn O'Shea.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    They could have equally played until 7am, would you think that's also no big deal?

That would be excessive in my eyes too alright, but they didn't.
    It's the same as the other poster that said if every house in Marley had a party that would be a problem. They didn't.

If aliens landed and dropped an atom bomb in Marley Park that would be an issue too, but they didn't.

So let's try and keep some perspective:

A party, a loud one, outdoor music, probably annoying, but once-off as far as I know, a Saturday, noise ended at 2am, no sign of it happening again.
    For charity as well we've since learnt.

That's it in a nutshell.

All the other stuff about showing off, bizarre personal digs about "cool guys" (??), 7am, parties in every house, 25k concerts, 10+ hours on the phone to a Garda station somehow over the the course of 5 hours, Whelanslive.. etc. Not accurate and neither here nor there.

Not going to take away from what it was (some noise), but a small handful of people are quite clearly running away with themselves here.
    My opinion only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Coyler

Out of curiousity, has the request to "get over it" or "get a life" ever actually worked? I'm assuming its about as successful as "calm down" is :)

And, NM, making accusations of sock puppeting is easy. Report the poster as its a serious offence on boards. I should know, been here since the boards was Quake.ie. The begrudgery claim is far harder to refute but if it helps I'm personally delighted for Bobby Healy and CarTrawler with their success. More importantly the employment the business provides in Classon House. I wish him all success as it looks like he spotted a lucrative niche.

Anyway, your protestations not withstanding, it appears that the council supported by the Super intendant are taking him to the District Court, the Gardai are reviewing permits and licences for either fireworks and alcohol* and the issue is going to be discussed by the councillors in both SDCC and DLR at their next meeting with regards to potential resolutions to the issue. If you really think it just one or two of us driving this issue, you better get on the phone to all these parties and explain that to them. Posting here on boards won't get you far.

My concern now is that others will use this event against the Summer Concerts. While they have their issues, they have proven to be well run and a great success for the area. You could add the run of the mill house parties to my concerns as well. The other residents here would do well to express those concerns when they are talking to their councillors. And if you haven't contacted them, do, but be respectful. You can't have your views express by politicians unless you express your views to them. Had a lovely conversation with some of them yesterday as those that live locally experience the same issue.

*If this was a ticketed event and alcohol was provided, it requires a licence. Don't think the Gardai haven't seen every trick in the book to get round requiring a licence.

Coyler wrote: »
    And, NM, making accusations of sock puppeting is easy. Report the poster as its a serious offence on boards.

I'm not offended or bothered enough to report anyone. I just pointing it out in response.

Opinions in this thread are obviously varied in what's excessive and what's not. A party/concert on a Saturday (won't go through details from my view again) is not excessive in my book, for others it's was, but some seemed to lose the plot over this difference of opinion and here we are/were.
    Anyway, your protestations not withstanding, it appears that the council supported by the Super intendant are taking him to the District Court, the Gardai are reviewing permits and licences for either fireworks and alcohol* and the issue is going to be discussed by the councillors in both SDCC and DLR at their next meeting with regards to potential resolutions to the issue. If you really think it just one or two of us driving this issue, you better get on the phone to all these parties and explain that to them. Posting here on boards won't get you far.

My concern now is that others will use this event against the Summer Concerts. While they have their issues, they have proven to be well run and a great success for the area. You could add the run of the mill house parties to my concerns as well. The other residents here would do well to express those concerns when they are talking to their councillors. And if you haven't contacted them, do, but be respectful. You can't have your views express by politicians unless you express your views to them. Had a lovely conversation with some of them yesterday as those that live locally experience the same issue.

*If this was a ticketed event and alcohol was provided, it requires a licence. Don't think the Gardai haven't seen every trick in the book to get round requiring a licence.

Much harder to argue well thought out and reasoned posts on the subject :).

Can't argue with any of that.

I hope all house parties aren't banned Maude Flanders style though.

Thanks even if I had a few grammatical errors :)

I appreciate your concerns that we are all Maude Flanders types, clutching our pearls but I can assure you its not the case. There are two families behind me with teenage children so we are more than familiar with the odd house party. Even been tempted to scale the back wall a few times but I'm not sure that would be appreciated by either my neighbours or my wife.

Too be very fair, I had to ask one lad from a house further up the road to move some kind of party/disco bus away from our house one night as my wife was trying to settle the baby and its engine sounded like it was in dire need of a service. I was annoyed, I'll admit, but he was more than decent about it. These things happen when people live that close together in such numbers.

And lets not dive too deep into my past. I'm a father now and I need to sustain the veneer of respectability.

See, the problem here is, Bobby Healy or Barnardos were informed, repeatedly, that they were not only nuisance to several hundred households but they reduced a Garda Station to a complaints department for quite a while and choose to ignore both. The former might be possible to dismiss but the later isn't as easy. It's actually quite serious and Bobby Healy or Barnardos are going to have to explain why they felt the need to do that to a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Too be very fair, I had to ask one lad from a house further up the road to move some kind of party/disco bus away from our house one night as my wife was trying to settle the baby and its engine sounded like it was in dire need of a service. I was annoyed, I'll admit, but he was more than decent about it. These things happen when people live that close together in such numbers.

That wasnt in Ranelagh by any chance was it?
    I had that death trap outside my bedroom window for 30 mins recently, big dirty diesel engine and lots of drunk people standing outside it smoking while roaring at someone in the house to hurry up.
    Great fun.

An occasional house party that might cause some disruption to a couple of people is nowhere near an open concert that impacts anyone within 2 miles.

The concert was loud but I think the people in Ranelagh were spared :)

No, here in Rathfarnham near Marley Park. Enjoy your sup in Birchalls, you lucky devil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JGG

I've just read through the thread and can't believe some of the posts that have been made on this topic. It's been already very well described more than once above but what happened on Saturday night was off the scale compared to anything I've experienced living in the area since 2000 in terms of noise. Not one of the Marlay Park concerts was remotely in the same league compared to the sheer volume or duration and, in any event, the Marlay concerts always end before 11pm. From what I could hear, this event seemed to get ever so slightly louder the later it went towards its 2am conclusion.

There's clearly a few who have come on here to wind people up, which is always to be expected. The attempted portrayal of anyone with the cheek to actually have an issue with what happened as something out of a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly book is ridiculous, as is the effort to simply excuse the whole thing on the basis of it being an event for charity. Laudable and all as the cause is, it cannot be used as an excuse for flouting accepted standards of behaviour to this extent in an overwhelmingly residential area. In fact, in my view, this makes it worse and I do think Barnardos could do with making some kid of statement about what happened, if even just to clear the air. As several people have pointed out, ironically local children who were either sick on the night or simply couldn't sleep were the biggest victims of the entire thing.

This isn't a case of a bunch of rich Southside stereotypes kicking off because there was a party on next door - we're talking about very average suburban dwellers here (no offence!) living in normal semi-ds and apartments scattered across several areas. I would expect an identical reaction from any other residential part of the city in the same circumstances. Another thing that might be colouring some of the reaction may be the age or stage in life of various posters. Anyone with babies or young kids was generally v badly affected by this noise, as they simply could not sleep. I had direct experience of this on the night as a parent. I would also guess that local elderly residents, of which there are many in the area, would have been badly affected. However, if I was a single 20-something, or a young couple with no kids, I may well form the view that this is a case of a load of old gits trying to 'wreck the buzz'. So, there is an element of horses for courses on an issue like this. I would be the last person to complain about something like this and like others, would support and attend the Marlay Park concerts. In this case though, I unexpectedly found myself at 11.30pm through sheer exasperation and annoyance walking to the Marlay Grange House entrance to ask what was going on and when it would be over? When I was told 2am and it was a private function, I then rang Rathfarnham Garda Station, again out of sheer annoyance. (I very rarely ring Garda Stations.)

Reading some of the posts, I'm not sure if people still get that this was not a 'house party' that a few busy bodies have decided to complain about. It was a full open air gig hosted in the grounds of a large house with full amplified sets played by several well known bands/acts over an 8 hour period. Have a look on-line/twitter/Facebook for 'Big Love for Barnardos' and you will see photos of the scale and extent of the event lest there still be any doubt this was not just a few friends drinking cans in the back garden with the stereo on. Whilst the house in question is large and on its own lands, it's unfortunately for the occupier literally across the road from hundreds of suburban dwellings and thousands of people and loud noise travels. There was no warning of the event; there was nobody at the entrance to speak with any authority to anyone asking questions (other than some Barnardos stewards who looked decidedly uncomfortable) and the Guards were, by their own admission (again I've personal experience of being told this) being ignored when they asked for the volume to be reduced. From what I can see and was told on the night, it was a clear ploy to run the event using the gap in the law surrounding noise enforcement in such circumstances. Unfortunately, this is coming across now as the fingers being given to local neighbours and the Gardaí who had the cheek to ask that the volume be turned down. From what I can see, had the volume been turned down by some noticeable degree, or the party had wrapped up at 11.00-11.30, we may not be having this conversation. Neither happened.

I'm no expert on event management but that doesn't seem to be the best way to go about running an 'event' such as this in the heart of suburbia. Some acknowledgement that things were handled badly in terms of noise impact on local residents from either Barnardos or the house owner would be a good start to move this on, as obviously attitudes will harden if its assumed that the legitimate concerns of people are being ignored.

Advertisement