Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marley Grange House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Angry Local Resident

A point that maybe hasn't been considered fully is how the placement of speakers at the event would have affected the perceived volume of the party around the neighborhood.

From my conversations with people living closer to Rathfarnham on the Grange Road and further along the Taylor's Lane direction, towards Moyville etc, it seems that the impact was much less than for those living in the Eden Apartments, through Marley Grange estate and out across Churchtown. Looking at the map, you can trace a triangle out from the house out across the most badly affected areas. People may have lived much closer to the house as the crow flies yet heard less. Given that those I've spoken to who attended the gig didn't seem to think it overly loud, I have to assume that the speakers were turned out facing across the residential area, rather than in towards the crowd.

If that's the case, it makes a sort of bizarre sense of both the events of the evening and the range of reactions on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

A point that maybe hasn't been considered fully is how the placement of speakers at the event would have affected the perceived volume of the party around the neighborhood.
    +1
    I've left gigs early from Marlay Park and heard next to nothing outside the front gate. It was the direction the speakers were pointing + the type of walls that kept the sound in.

For Marlay Grange House they should have pointed the speakers towards the Golf Club. Use the geography and stone walls to keep the sound inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

aphex™ wrote: »
    +1
    I've left gigs early from Marlay Park and heard next to nothing outside the front gate. It was the direction the speakers were pointing + the type of walls that kept the sound in.

For Marlay Grange House they should have pointed the speakers towards the Golf Club. Use the geography and stone walls to keep the sound inside.

they should have had a bit of cop on but instead rich lads wanted to show off to their mates on a grande scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1

The should have pointed them towards the M50/Dublin Mountains.

GreeBo wrote: »
    The should have pointed them towards the M50/Dublin Mountains.

The golf club goes in that direction for a mile, they bought the land belonging to Marlay Grange in the 90s to expand it and it runs behind it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The golf club goes in that direction for a mile, they bought the land belonging to Marlay Grange in the 90s to expand it and it runs behind it

Not too many playing Golf at 2am. :pac:

No it doesnt, not even close, I'm a member and live in Marley estate all my life.

Its less than half a mile (600M) from the house to the junction at Taylors lane and Whitechurch road and thousands of residents. In fact Taylors lane is closer than my house in Marley.

The lands bought in the 90's are adjacent to Marley Park and have no impact to the distance from Marlay House.

The residents of Ballyboden dont deserve the noise either, send it towards Columbus (which is a mile away) and has very few residents beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Angry Local Resident

Ranchu wrote: »
    they should have had a bit of cop on but instead rich lads wanted to show off to their mates on a grande scale.

If it was just a couple of rich lads setting it up it would be an understandable mistake but I've been told that an event management company ran the event. It seems like an incredibly amateur mistake for professionals to make.

Frankly, if I knew which company it was I'd far rather ring them up and give them an earful than be bothering the council or the guards.

GreeBo wrote: »
    No it doesnt, not even close, I'm a member and live in Marley estate all my life.

Its less than half a mile (600M) from the house to the junction at Taylors lane and Whitechurch road and thousands of residents. In fact Taylors lane is closer than my house in Marley.

See attached map which quite clearly shows the land behind Marlay Grange House heading towards the Golf Club, which runs behind it and towards the M50 mountains, towards Columbus College.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-8sg6mAjU5FbnBRT1ZmYk8tTGc/view?usp=sharing

See attached map which quite clearly shows the land behind Marlay Grange House heading towards the Golf Club, which runs behind it and towards the M50 mountains, towards Columbus College.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-8sg6mAjU5FbnBRT1ZmYk8tTGc/view?usp=sharing

It hits some of the club lands, but the vast majority of the club is in the other direction, towards Ballyboden.

I had misread your earlier post as "The golf club goes in that direction for a mile" meaning a mile towards Taylors junction with Whitechurch, apologies.

In any case, it seems we are agreeing on the direction the speakers should have faced, not towards town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Does anyone know if the house is still derelict since it went on fire or has it been rebuilt? From the photos posted on this thread a while back it looks like a very dodgy place to run an event!

gozunda wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the house is still derelict since it went on fire or has it been rebuilt? From the photos posted on this thread a while back it looks like a very dodgy place to run an event!

Yes it's done up AFAIK. Maybe the council let them have a late party to celebrate as reward for doing up a historical house. They would have had to work closely with the council to get it up to spec and keep original features.

Still under work.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

They were back at it last night too. This is what I found when I searched for "loud concert marlay park". Anyone know what the outcome of last year's complaints was?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 orlaithmum

After last year's debacle they liaised with the Marlay Grange Residents Assoc. about this years concert. You can check out what was agreed upon on their website, but it included directional loudspeakers, maximum noise levels, measurement processes, finishing loud music by 12mn & a DJ with smaller speakers after and a dedicated complaints line.
    Have to say (from my point of view) it worked really well.

I'm about 600-700 meters away & last year, with all my windows and doors closed, I could hear practically every word of songs being sung right up until 2am. This year - nothing, nada!

Thank you Healys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JGG

Yep, a massive improvement on last year. Barely audible from within the heart of Marley Grange estate anyway. Whatever changes were made in terms of controlling/directing the noise worked. Hopefully a good night for Barnardos.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great fireworks display too!

Fairly sure its Cathy Davey.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Are these guys at it again? Extremely loud music coming from somewhere in the area tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

Yes it is on again. As usual the Gardai can’t do anything. The hosts and the charity benefitting don’t care about children and families in this area not able to sleep due to the noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Yeah Marley Grange House, louder than Longitude, with a massive fireworks display. Very obnoxious

• Registered Users Posts: 19 orkyorky

I wonder how many residents got the urge to go and buy cathy davey, Neil hannon music after this.

A media stunt I think this might have been, before the big pay days Electric Picnic festival.

Smart people Cathy and Neil are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lisgoole

Lads, I'm in Loreto, beside Nutgrove, & they might as well have been playing live in my bedroom. I clocked it as live music finishing at 1.05am. I called Gardai Rathfarnham as well. Cant understand why they cant do anything.

I have sent a letter of complaint to SDCC & to Tallaght Garda Station, the Divisional HQ for Rathfarnham. I want to know if an Occasional Licence, that for an event that is 'special' was applied for. Such a licence must only be granted to a 'structure' , not an outdoor event, until 10pm!

Can I please urge you all to complain to both. This is about the 6th year of this & I have a pain in me arse (ears...lol!) With them getting away with it.

Dublin live.ie reported the organisers as saying it was a private event so maybe people who didn't get to go felt hard done by.....or some such....they also said they were happy for people to contact them if they had a problem....but they didn't give the contact details. I have requested those from DublinLive. I'll keep u updated.

Lads, I'm in Loreto, beside Nutgrove, & they might as well have been playing live in my bedroom. I clocked it as live music finishing at 1.05am. I called Gardai Rathfarnham as well. Cant understand why they cant do anything.

I have sent a letter of complaint to SDCC & to Tallaght Garda Station, the Divisional HQ for Rathfarnham. I want to know if an Occasional Licence, that for an event that is 'special' was applied for. Such a licence must only be granted to a 'structure' , not an outdoor event, until 10pm!

Can I please urge you all to complain to both. This is about the 6th year of this & I have a pain in me arse (ears...lol!) With them getting away with it.

Dublin live.ie reported the organisers as saying it was a private event so maybe people who didn't get to go felt hard done by.....or some such....they also said they were happy for people to contact them if they had a problem....but they didn't give the contact details. I have requested those from DublinLive. I'll keep u updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lisgoole wrote: »

Is that not DLR area not SDCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

No, and I think this is part of the problem, but whilst Marlay Park is in DLRCOCO, Marley (note the “e” instead of a second “a”!) Grange House, where the concert took place, is in SDCC. See the county boundaries per the link below. I mailed DLRCC and they advised me to SDCC. Waiting to hear back from the latter.

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/south-dublin-county-boundary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Surprised at that as effectively they are in the same walled area and was originally all part of the same demesne.

Yep, checked with local councillor in DLRCOCO and was advised the other. I await replies from both. Meantime, please get as many people as you can to make complaints - this can't go on another year. No real problem with the event, just the time it goes on til & people in the locality should be informed in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Few hours noise (subjective) on a sat night, once a year. .. Get over yourselves

PS It's not a garda matter and it's not a planning or licensing matter, it's an organised event which does not sell alcohol on private property and raises a lot of money for charity

• Advertisement

1am on a Saturday night is hardly hard-core?

Advertisement