Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to port away

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My mother rang up eircom about a month ago as she wanted to port away to UPC. At that time, she was owed €100 [initial deposit]  but she owed €101~. So she had a net liability of €1. She only has voice phone on the line. No broadband. Line to be deactivated.

She was told that she could only port away by giving written [snail mail] notice. Is this correct? She is not great at writing so has put it off for another month until I heard what happened. She now owes MORE money that she didn't want to pay.

Please clarify her position as of today. Can she ring up today, pay over the phone and port away TODAY? Or does she need to go ahead and write a letter?

I'm an authorised contact on her account but it's also a general question that doesn't need account details to be provided.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

RangeR wrote: »
    Hi,

My mother rang up eircom about a month ago as she wanted to port away to UPC. At that time, she was owed €100 [initial deposit]  but she owed €101~. So she had a net liability of €1. She only has voice phone on the line. No broadband. Line to be deactivated.

She was told that she could only port away by giving written [snail mail] notice. Is this correct? She is not great at writing so has put it off for another month until I heard what happened. She now owes MORE money that she didn't want to pay.

Please clarify her position as of today. Can she ring up today, pay over the phone and port away TODAY? Or does she need to go ahead and write a letter?

I'm an authorised contact on her account but it's also a general question that doesn't need account details to be provided.

Hi RangeR

I have looked into this and I can confirm a written notice is required 30 days prior to cancellation of services with eircom which includes moving to another operator. If notice is not made and a move to another operator occurs, a one month line rental charge applies. If indeed you wish to inform eircom of your intention to leave by email you can do so and if you would like to do this please let me know and I shall include the email address in a private message. Also, please note that a call to our cancellations team (on 1901) is required before you arrange the discussed letter/email.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi RangeR

I have looked into this and I can confirm a written notice is required 30 days prior to cancellation of services with eircom which includes moving to another operator. If notice is not made and a move to another operator occurs, a one month line rental charge applies. If indeed you wish to inform eircom of your intention to leave by email you can do so and if you would like to do this please let me know and I shall include the email address in a private message. Also, please note that a call to our cancellations team (on 1901) is required before you arrange the discussed letter/email.

Regards

Al

Al,

It seems that what you are saying is at odds to what my mother was told over the phone. The agent INSISTED that a written [snail mail] letter be posted. Because of this, and because of a disability, this written letter hasn't been sent yet and has cost my mother a further month [the previous 30 days] AND NEXT MONTH [30 days notice as of today].

Under the Data Protection Act, Do you record calls? If so, I'll present the Account details via PM and would like the recording and/or the transcript.

Al,

It seems that what you are saying is at odds to what my mother was told over the phone. The agent INSISTED that a written [snail mail] letter be posted. Because of this, and because of a disability, this written letter hasn't been sent yet and has cost my mother a further month [the previous 30 days] AND NEXT MONTH [30 days notice as of today].

Under the Data Protection Act, Do you record calls? If so, I'll present the Account details via PM and would like the recording and/or the transcript.

Hi RangeR

I can advise that previously written notice is required however we have an updated process where a customer can now email notification of intent to port to another provider/cease services.

Also, If you would like to PM me the account details I can arrange the email to be sent for you.

Regards

Al

PM Sent

PM Sent

Hi RangeR

Unfortunately I have not yet received a PM from you yet. Have you sent it to another boards.ie verified eircom representative? Can you please check your sent items in PMs and get back to me?

Thanks,

Al

• Advertisement

Apologies. I definitely sent it but it's not showing up in my sent items. I'll send another one now.

Apologies. I definitely sent it but it's not showing up in my sent items. I'll send another one now.
    Hi RangeR

I have sent you a DM in relation to this.

Thanks

Al

Replied

Issue resolved. Thanks

Issue resolved. Thanks
    Hi RangeR

Happy to help and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

Alan,

I have a concern. I snail mailed the cancellation letter about 2 weeks ago, or there abouts. In the last few days, my mother receives a "Welcome to eircom" letter, addressed to herself and myself.

Just a little strange. Can you have a look?

Alan,

I have a concern. I snail mailed the cancellation letter about 2 weeks ago, or there abouts. In the last few days, my mother receives a "Welcome to eircom" letter, addressed to herself and myself.

Just a little strange. Can you have a look?

Hi RangeR

Yes that does seem quite odd, I will look into this and get back to you as soon as I have information on this.

Regards

Al

Hey Alan,

I have another concern. My mother received another bill today [a good bit out of the 30 day notice]. We still have dial tone etc. I rang 1901 and went through to cancellations. They had no record of my letter and kept insisting that the last contact was back in Oct-Nov in relation to cancelling the broadband. After a good 5 or 10 minute conversation, she agreed to go have a look at the "physical folder" and eventually found the letter I sent in.

I was expecting the bill, that was received today, to be a final bill. It wasn't. The account wasn't even flagged for cancellation as they didn't record receipt of my cancellation letter.

The agent made a reference that the updated bill was for March rental. Is this correct?

Hey Alan,

I have another concern. My mother received another bill today [a good bit out of the 30 day notice]. We still have dial tone etc. I rang 1901 and went through to cancellations. They had no record of my letter and kept insisting that the last contact was back in Oct-Nov in relation to cancelling the broadband. After a good 5 or 10 minute conversation, she agreed to go have a look at the "physical folder" and eventually found the letter I sent in.

I was expecting the bill, that was received today, to be a final bill. It wasn't. The account wasn't even flagged for cancellation as they didn't record receipt of my cancellation letter.

The agent made a reference that the updated bill was for March rental. Is this correct?

Hi Keith,

As discussed, I shall investigate this and call you back this afternoon.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement