Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 56-year-old British woman has been sentenced to death in Indonesia for drugs

• 22-01-2013 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

A 56-year-old British woman has been sentenced to death in Indonesia for drug trafficking.

Police said they found 4.8kg of cocaine in Lindsay Sandiford's suitcase

Lindsay Sandiford, who is originally from Redcar in Teesside, was arrested last May after police in Bali said they found 4.8kg of cocaine in the lining of her suitcase.

A spokeswoman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We can confirm that a British national is facing the death penalty in Indonesia.
    "We remain in close contact with that national and continue to provide consular assistance.

"The UK remains strongly opposed to the death penalty in all circumstances."

Sandiford was sentenced after being found guilty of violating the country's strict drug laws by the Denpasar District Court.

In the court's verdict, a judge panel headed by Amser Simanjuntak, concluded that Sandiford has damaged the image of Bali as a tourism destination and weakened the government's programme of drug annihilation.

The cocaine she smuggled was worth around US$2.5 million, the Associated Press reported.

Prosecutors had said during the trial last month that they were seeking a 15-year prison term, and not pursuing the maximum penalty for drug trafficking which is death.

Sandiford previously told the court she became involved only because "the lives of my children were in danger".

In her witness statement, she said: "I would like to begin by apologising to the Republic of Indonesia and the Indonesian people for my involvement.

"I would never have become involved in something like this but the lives of my children were in danger and I felt I had to protect them."

During the trial, Sandiford's lawyer read out a statement from her son in which he said: "I love my mother very much and have a very close relationship with her.

"I know that she would do anything to protect me. I cannot imagine what I would do if she was sentenced to death in relation to these charges."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

A BRITISH housewife was today sentenced to death in Indonesia for trafficking cocaine worth more than £1.6million.

Gran and mother of two Lindsay Sandiford, 56, was arrested after an X-ray machine detected 10.6lb (4.8Kg) of the Class A drug in in the lining of her suitcase.
    She could now face death in Indonesia by a 10-man firing squad.
    Sandiford, originally from Redcar in Teesside, claimed she was forced to become a drugs mule after her sons were threatened with death at home in England.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4757187/British-housewife-sentenced-to-death-in-Indonesia.html#ixzz2IhKOpYFP

I'm against the death penalty but I can see why people may feel otherwise when it comes to murder or rape, not for this type of crime though

anyways any sympathy for this woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Break the law, expect the consequences. Where ever it is, what ever country it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

She won't get to appear on Banged up Abroad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

She'll be in an episode of banged up abroad in 2020 after her case is appealed and she gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time............ Death penalties are usually the punishment in places like this yet people still break the law. No excuses really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So :confused:

Lumbo wrote: »
    She won't get to appear on Banged up Abroad :(

Maybe idiots abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Thats what I was thinking she knew what she was doing at the time but do you think the death penalty is too harsh?

Im on the fence with this one i agree she should get life in jail but should her life be taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

She won't be executed.

Apparently they haven't executed anyone over there in years. She'll most probably end up on death row for the rest of her life though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xwave7000

irish-stew wrote: »
    Break the law, expect the consequences. Where ever it is, what ever country it is.

This.

The amount of stupidity in the world today is shocking. However, she will more than likely end up in jail for 15 years, and make some money from that god awful tv show...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

thats a hard line on drugs. wonder if Indonesia is winning the war on drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time............ Death penalties are usually the punishment in places like this yet people still break the law. No excuses really.
    Straight from the horse's mouth folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

snubbleste wrote: »
    So :confused:

She stashed a bag (big as it was) of cocaine and tried to get it past customs. Hardly a fucking hanging offense now?

Savages is all they are, hanging people for murder or rape is one thing but for a few ks of powder........

hollster2 wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking she knew what she was doing at the time but do you think the death penalty is too harsh?

Im on the fence with this one i agree she should get life in jail but should her life be taken?

Not for you or me to decide - I'm not going to argue about the death penalty in another country. Fact is it's in place. End of.

I think people break the law because they think they won't get caught (stupid I know) but I don't think any deterent seems to work when you have idiots like her willing to take a chance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's crazy that people keep doing this knowing what happens if caught. The amount of times it's come up now is unreal.

I've no sympathy for her. Being a grandmother is of no relevance and is simply used to tear jerk and inflame sensationalist emotive responses.

Give me the gun, the lethal injection or the trip switch for the electric chair. I'd execute her myself.

I've no sympathy for her. Being a grandmother is of no relevance and is simply used to tear jerk and inflame sensationalist emotive responses.

the granny bit actually made me laugh... :o

theres somethin' wrong with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Why the thread title? Surely it should read "Convicted drug trafficker sentenced to death"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

She stashed a bag (big as it was) of cocaine and tried to get it past customs. Hardly a fucking hanging offense now?

Savages is all they are, hanging people for murder or rape is one thing but for a few ks of powder........

Who are you to dictate to another country and another culture what approach they should take towards drugs? What an arrogant opinion that is.

Its beside the point anyway. The laws on drugs in these countries are extremely well known, as are the potential consequences. She did it anyway. She can have no complaints now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

People do it knowing the consequences, which is tragic in itself, but the bigger tragedy is a country willing to murder people over a bit of powder. It's a case of dumb and dumber. Personally I don't think any crime justifies the death sentence, certainly not drug related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, one thing's for sure, She won't do it again. Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

hollster2 wrote: »

Not at all.

Drugs have absolutely ruined modern society with more muggings, burglaries, drug crazed attacks, murders etc.

I think the death sentence should be introduced in more countries for drug dealing.

Anyone wrote: »
    Why the thread title? Surely it should read "Convicted drug trafficker sentenced to death"

because i'm a big shít stirrer :D

Well in Indonesia, and many eastern countries, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I wonder what would happen if we introduced the death penalty for drug smuggling in Ireland? No sympathy for the woman, complete idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has nobody seen Midnight Express?

Doing drugs is one thing. Selling them is another.

Trying to smuggle them is on a whole other level of idiocy, especially in Asia and the Middle East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why 2 threads? She's not worth it:cool:.

OP do you have a comment on this..or do you just copy and paste stuff from newspapers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not at all.

Drugs have absolutely ruined modern society with more muggings, burglaries, drug crazed attacks, murders etc.

I think the death sentence should be introduced in more countries for drug dealing.

Actually, despite the moral hysteria modern society is much less violent than in the past. If one was to be completely disingenuous it could be claimed that there is a link between violence declining and drug use increasing - but that would be silly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Who are you to dictate to another country and another culture what approach they should take towards drugs? What an arrogant opinion that is.

Its beside the point anyway. The laws on drugs in these countries are extremely well known, as are the potential consequences. She did it anyway. She can have no complaints now.

Its a powder and hanging someone for importing it to your country is a neanderthal approach, sort out the customers first. They have to ask themselves why so many people in their country are on drugs?

You may think the death sentence ()for this tyope of thing)is fine but I dont,

Not at all.

I think the death sentence should be introduced in more countries for drug dealing.[/QUOT
    when you say it that way I suppose they took the right approach shell probably end up on death row for the rest of her life, maybe its just a part of me because shes a grandmother but she wast exactly thinking of that will the amount of drugs she had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

It's cool to be merciless on the internet.

I wonder what would happen if we introduced the death penalty for drug smuggling in Ireland?

We'd execute more people than Texas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads merged.

By accident, I took a small bag of skunk all the way from Perth to Buenos Aires, via Kuala Lumpur. I only found it in my jeans a week later. I wonder what would have happened if I was nicked in Malaysia?

• Advertisement

Its a powder and hanging someone for importing it to your country is a neanderthal approach, sort out the customers first. They have to ask themselves why so many people in their country are on drugs?

You may think the death sentence ()for this tyope of thing)is fine but I dont,

So you're a racist now then Father???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

davet82 wrote: »
    I'm against the death penalty but I can see why people may feel otherwise when it comes to murder or rape, not for this type of crime though

anyways any sympathy for this woman?

Why do you consider drug smugling less serious than murder or rape? Do you not realise how many people's lives are destroyed by drugs, how many families are torn apart, how may crimes are comitted by drug addicts, how many people are murdered by drug dealing gangs? People involved in the distribution of class A drugs do an unbelieveable amount of damage to our society. Anyone involved in this business deserves the death penalty.

Would people care less if she was not a grandmother and white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Surely stuff like this proves that the death penalty is not a deterrent? People know the risks in countries like this and still go ahead and do it.

And no, I don't think she should be executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Oh the naivety... think of how many murders, assaults, threats, gang warfare and corruption are behind the drugs trade on a daily basis worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Indonesia - Death penalty for Drug smuggling.
    Ireland - Father pleads guilty to prolonged Incest and rape of his own daughter over a ten year period, walks straight out the door of the court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

HowAreWe wrote: »
    It's cool to be merciless on the internet.

Are you talking about being merciless to all the victims of drug dealing and drug related crime.

Oh the naivety... think of how many murders, assaults, threats, gang warfare and corruption are behind the drugs trade on a daily basis worldwide.

Let's not get into a debate, but that's purely down to prohibition. I like to party every now and again, I don't feel any guilt over it though.

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP do you have a comment on this..or do you just copy and paste stuff from newspapers?

I did comment on this next page i didnt think it was the right thing to decide to sentence the woman but if that there laws

like I said the part of me thinking of her because shes a grandmother, but she obviously wasnt thinking of that and like a poster said the amount of damage drugs has done on the street made me come back down to earth

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not one comment on her remark that she did it because her kids' lives were in danger?
    Do we know any more about that or should we just ignore it and laugh and point a bit more?

Why do you consider drug smugling less serious than murder or rape? Do you not realise how many people's lives are destroyed by drugs, how many families are torn apart, how may crimes are comitted by drug addicts, how many people are murdered by drug dealing gangs? People involved in the distribution of class A drugs do an unbelieveable amount of damage to our society. Anyone involved in this business deserves the death penalty.

the woman is just as much a victim here, i agree with point you are trying to make but the type of sentence you are talking about should only be reserved for the big drug barons not desperate stupid people that take a chance

Indonesia - Death penalty for Drug smuggling.
    Ireland - Father pleads guilty to prolonged Incest and rape of his own daughter over a ten year period, walks straight out the door of the court.

That just shows the inherent flaws in our judicial system. Throwing stones and criticising another nation for their laws is hypocritical IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

“I would never have become involved in something like this but the lives of my children were in danger and I felt I had to protect them.”

I don't get this part, how were the children in danger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    By accident, I took a small bag of skunk all the way from Perth to Buenos Aires, via Kuala Lumpur. I only found it in my jeans a week later. I wonder what would have happened if I was nicked in Malaysia?

You would have been arrested and probably convicted. It would have been nobodies fault but your own and I would not have had an ounce of sympathy for you. The laws still apply despite the fact people are idiots.

You would have been arrested and probably convicted. It would have been nobodies fault but your own and I would not have had an ounce of sympathy for you. The laws still apply despite the fact people are idiots.

Some laws are made by idiots. I'd really hate to be as black and white as you are. Here check this out you might like it - www.dailymail.co.uk

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement