Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advise on what to get

• 22-01-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello

i have 3 to 4k to spend on a sport bike and i have a couple in mind but i want to get other peoples advise to. like what are they like to live with any possible problem i should look out for down the road ect. i was looking at

cbr600rr 2004
    cbr 929, 1000rr
    gsxr 600, 750, 1000
    busa
    sports bike would what im after. i want something i can take to work in the morning, something i can have a bit of fun on and im looking in to take it to france in the summer touring around drinking in the sights for 2 maybe 3 weeks.

ive rang ahead about the insurance and its affordable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

From the ones you listed, I'd recommend the Busa. I had a K2 last year and you can't take anything away from them, they do everything well and are very comfortable on long spins after you tune into them. Just watch out for the front brakes. Make sure you show them some love to keep them in good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

a question for you about the busa i have no idea about service costs. like how quickly do i need to change tyres,chain and sprocket. that they hard ride in and around town? ive always loved them. but been a bit weary of them at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

a question for you about the busa i have no idea about service costs. like how quickly do i need to change tyres,chain and sprocket. that they hard ride in and around town? ive always loved them. but been a bit weary of them at the same time.

It depends on a lot of individual factors. They are no more commitment than any other big bike, IME. I didn't have mine long enough to really come to terms with the service and maintenance because I left Ireland and would have gladly kept it if I were staying but what other owners always said that if you aren't ragging it everywhere you go, the rule is still two back tyres to a front. Between 3k and 5k miles depending on your tyre choice and riding style (unless you exclusively use it for hooning about in which case you could get less than 1k out of that back tyre). Anecdotally, I've heard you could be doing a C&S every time you do the front tyre. I remember someone suggesting doing the C&S with the single back tyre to spread the cost.

They are a great bike around town except for hot days when you'll have case of betty swollocks but really they're a surprisingly easy bike to live with. Just make sure you have enough money to buy a good example with the gear you need from a mature owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

vfr800 would tick all the boxes too?

VFR_800_4_A4_5_A5_04-05_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

not listed, but I'd be taking a 954 fireblade personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

What have you had in the past? What have you got now?

there are so many bikes that could be the 954 is a cracking looking bike never riden one . i think im just going to have sit down with donedeal is there any other good sites to look on?

leppla wrote: »
    What have you had in the past? What have you got now?

moped
    intruder 125
    bandit 400
    sv650
    sv1000 new shape didnt like the seating position at all lovely noise though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Guessing the sv1000 seating position is closer to a sports bike than anything else you've had. You may want to consider that.

it felt like it was putting pressure on lower back it was a lot better when i put a jack up kit on. it raised the back by about 30mm. but i think im just going to have to go some where like mega bike and sit on every thing that takes my fancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

it felt like it was putting pressure on lower back it was a lot better when i put a jack up kit on. it raised the back by about 30mm. but i think im just going to have to go some where like mega bike and sit on every thing that takes my fancy

Thats exactly what you will have to do. I love the look of some bikes but would never be able to have them due to the position/size of them. Well actually I could have them but would never get the use out of them and there is no point in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fazer 1000 is a great bike too plenty of power and good riding position. My particular fave is the Triumph Sprint GT 1050 which is just yummy.....you can get a tidy CBR1100 Blackbird aswell for that money and they sell themselves really.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Fazer 1000 is a great bike too plenty of power and good riding position. My particular fave is the Triumph Sprint GT 1050 which is just yummy.....you can get a tidy CBR1100 Blackbird aswell for that money and they sell themselves really.

I have a fazer 1000, great bike comfy but quick, and a gsxr 1000 with full comfort kit comfy and quicker, and a zzr1400 comfy and quickest!....gonna sell 1 of em in Feb......they are all black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

The problem is they are all great bikes....

I have a Cbr 600 F3 and the seat breaks my arse doing anything over 150k. When I get off the bike I look like have received bum love....

I did 600k round trip up and down the coast here over Christmas and had to resort to putting a towel on the seat and nearly stopped to buy a cushion..

I think my point is check the seats for comfort especially if you want to cover distance....

I have a Cbr 600 F3 and the seat breaks my arse doing anything over 150k. When I get off the bike I look like have received bum love....

I did 600k round trip up and down the coast here over Christmas and had to resort to putting a towel on the seat and nearly stopped to buy a cushion..

I think my point is check the seats for comfort especially if you want to cover distance....

i did a trip to mayo on my mates hornet and the same thing i end up sitting on my wet suit. the bars seemed to buzz makin my hands go numb after an hour

i sat on a busa last night and ill be honest shes a big bruiser of a bike but quit comfy. all i need now is to talk the misses around the idea of it and to let me stick on some gp style pipes. im going to do a lot more reading about them coz although i know they eat rear tyres and they go like a hot snot thats about it.

Well the fella I go out and about with has both a Busa and a Blackbird and I think he perfers the Bird, as it does everything really well and lacks nothing. It really is a uber good all round bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

If you have an Airhawk I don't think it'll matter what seat the bike has. They're the best thing for long journeys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fatbast wrote: »
    I have a fazer 1000, great bike comfy but quick, and a gsxr 1000 with full comfort kit comfy and quicker, and a zzr1400 comfy and quickest!....gonna sell 1 of em in Feb......they are all black.
    Drop me a PM with details on the FZ1 when you go to sell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

heres a pic of the fzs1000 and also a pic of the gsxr1000 for humans eh........the fazer is 03 26k good condition lots of tasteful extras, the gixxer is 04 with full comfort kit and all original bits. both are black with yoshimura pipes and both are taxed with virtually new tyres and brake pads! also have cbr600 f, with very low mileage wifes bike...

Fazer is very clean for the year...kudos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Foam is probably knackered.
    I had an F3 and went all around Ireland, UK and Europe on it doing 2-300 miles a day most days for 3 weeks at a time, no problems with the seat, most I did on a proper trip was ~500 miles Cherbourg - Bordeaux on the autoroute in a day

Most I ever did was 1000 miles/24 hours (charity run) now that was sore :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

i did a trip to mayo on my mates hornet and the same thing i end up sitting on my wet suit. the bars seemed to buzz makin my hands go numb after an hour

Carbs / throttle bodies way out of balance maybe?
    I think a Hornet has rubber mounted bars so it would have to be pretty bad to numb your hands.
    The older CBR6s had the same engine, no rubber mounted bars, I never noticed vibes through the bars at all.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement