Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granite worktop with hob

• 22-01-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I recently had a kitchen installed with a granite worktop. The worktop is 30mm thick and 600mm depth. It looks great but I have a problem with my hob - it was placed too far back - too close to the wall which makes the back rings pretty unusable - i.e. it is no possible to center a pan over the flame because of how close it is to the wall.
    The hob depth is 51cm (width is 72 cm). The cutout is depth of 480 (width 560).
    Kitchen man is saying that he will replace the worktop and move the hob closer to the front (by ~25mm) but he doesn't recommend it and could not guarantee the worktop as there would be a finger of about 40mm unsupported granite at the front which could crack. As the hob has been installed I obviously can't return it to the shop.
    One thought I had was to glue a thin strip of steel to the underside of the thin finger of granite at the front (from a cosmetic point of view that would not be a problem, but would it provide much support?)
    Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Your solution is pretty close to what I've seen done- they should cut a shallow groove in the underside at the vulnerable locations and drop some stainless steel rod in these, glued in place with epoxy, making ensure the rod is fully embedded in epoxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kaveman

thanks a lot.

Advertisement