Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTR Instruction

• 22-01-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, one of FTR's well known faces is stepping away from the sport. Cass has put his rifle and gear up for sale, (anyone who purchases this rifle is getting an accurate and consistent performer).

As some of you will know, I started shooting FTR about a year ago, as a totally green novice to long range (800,900 and 1000 yards), Cass took me under his wing with one or two others and has provided his time experience and guidance freely and willingly.
    Under his tutelage, I and the others he helps have move from scoring 50-55 x 75 to regularly scoring 70+ x 75. I for one think FTR has suffered a lost and he will be missed on the firing line.

I'd take this opportunity to say thanks for creating my addiction to long range and there'll always be a mat on the firing point available.

FISH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

+101 on that!

It was Cass / Ezridax who dragged me out of the shed, sold me my first long-range rifle, and set me firmly on the FTR path.

His retirement (temporarily, we hope) from FTR is a massive loss to the sport - particularly for those new shooters coming into F-Class FTR who would have benefitted from his knowledge and guidance.

There'll always be a spot on the Firing Line beside me for him and all going well, we'll see him back on the line sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

Id also like to thank cass for his help in getting me on the road to addicton to ftr..
    Thank you very much for all the help sir and i hope to see you on the line again sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

A big plus +1 to all above posts, thanks for your help and wisdom, I wish you all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

im very shocked to hear this!!!! for the short time i shot f/tr cass was a wisdom of knowaledge and an excellent teacher. i wish him well and hope he isnt away for too long as it would be a loss to the midlands and f/tr shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Cass was never slow to help out either on or off the range. Watching newbees and the likes of me, always full of advice, help and good old chat.

When I had a few bob and used to call into the range during mid-week, he and his dad were always there either shooting or helping out with the general maintenance and upkeep of the range not forgetting the huge assistance he gave during the building of the 1200yd range.

I hope this is just a short break away from shooting and hope to see you soon….

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

plus many from me too.

kevin helped me fit the Karsten cheek piece to my rifle, he had the tools and was able to help when it was needed.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

You will be back in the saddle in no time Cass.

Us novices need you and all the other seasoned shooters up n the range.

Other wise the only people we will out shoot is Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

I've only been shooting for the past 6 years but the best days shooting I've ever had was when Kevin organised the novice shoot last year.

He was one of the nicest people I've ever met and I learned a lot from him in the few short hours I spent at midlands.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to wish Cass the best of luck and I hope you get well soon.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lone hunter

hi, new to forum, being shooting with over 20 years, mainly deer and foxes, recently have got interested in FTR, shot a couple of times at 300 yard ranges but would like to get out further. I have been looking at going to the uk to get a couple of days instruction as i could not find anywhere in Ireland, from reading the previous posts it seems most of ye got instruction here, can you tell me where this can be got and maybe cost.Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Should have posted this days ago, but better late than never. :o

I want to thank everyone on here, and those that contacted me personally. The support, well wishes, and kind comments were enough to make a person blush. Seriously though thanks lads. It means a lot.

I will still be around to torment you, and poke my nose in (sometimes where it doesn't belong :D). So i'll see most of ye from time to time on the range. If anyone needs a butt crew i'm available. ;)
    I have been looking at going to the uk to get a couple of days instruction as i could not find anywhere in Ireland, from reading the previous posts it seems most of ye got instruction here, can you tell me where this can be got and maybe cost.Thanks in advance.
    A lot of lads here shoot FTr & f-open. They shoot themselves, and are happy to give instruction, tuition, advice, and tips to those interested. The cost is zero (€0). They do it happily because at one stage or another we were all in the same position when starting off.

Have a search through some old threads looking for FTR, F-Class, Long range as search words. You'll get an idea of the people here that are involved, and also have a look on the FTR Ireland Facebook page. Great information, sound lads both on it, and running it. Not to mention the amount of well known, and highly experienced shooters from abroad that visit the FB page will make it a definite stop.

FTR Ireland

There is definitely no need to go abroad. We have some of the best shooters in Europe right here. They hold medals in a lot of international competitions, and one or two hold Irish records. They will guide you on rifle, scope, gear, and general kit. How to get into it both cheaply, but effectively. Then they will arrange days when they can meet up and you can run through the mill with them in terms of learning the basics, advancing your skills to eventually giving them a run for your money.

It is an addictive sport, and the main opponent is yourself. You always feel you can outdo your last score, and it's this personal drive that pushes you more than any competition.

Uses the search i suggested, and the link i provided. Make contact, and then get yourself along to the range to see it happen.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

As Cass said - we all started somewhere. Tuition (such as it is) is informal and free. Most of the top FTR shooters are more than happy to help out, give advice, and help you along your way. In fact, the 'helping out' is ongoing and continuous - we're never finished learning and there's always someone who'll give any shooter good advice when needed (the ability to discern between good advice and bad advice is something you'll learn quickly! :) )

thanks for the reply dCorbus, where would you advise i go?

thanks for the reply dCorbus, where would you advise i go?

Great advice from Cass. As he said, check out the FTR in Ireland facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FTRIreland

That FB page is 'unofficial' and independent, i.e. not supported by nor aligned with any shooting organisations, but is pretty much one of the better sources of FTR info out there and is updated *reasonably* regularly (of course, I'm biased on that score, so I'll let you decide if the information is of any help to you :) )

You'll find most, if not all, of the top Irish shooters are on there, in addition to top class FTR and long-range shooters from Europe and around the World. You'll be in good company! :)

As well as news from the global F-Class FTR community, there's also equipment reviews, how-to and FAQ type 'notes', results, photos and a bunch of other stuff, which should give you an overview of the sport of FTR shooting.

So if you're online, head that way and check it out. You'll need to become a 'friend' to see some of the more interesting information. (Apologies to the Mods for the shameless plug - Feel free to edit this post if necessary :) )

Best,

dC

thanks again dcorbus

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

sorry if this is not the place to ask just wondering what exactly FTR stands for:o .... it would be something i would like to get into in the future when god willing i could commit the time it deserves .

George Farquharson founded FTR (F-Class) shooting. He found he needed a scope because his eyesight failing him, and unable to compete in normal TR. Once he received approval from ICFRA they named the class after the man that founded it.

Sometimes it is referred to as field tagret rifle, but this is not the true meaning of the word.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks Cass . I take it Cass that TR is without a scope with just ordinary sights that come with rifle ?

TR is shot with a rifle fitted with Iron/Aperture sights, sling, and jacket. The one in the picture is an air rifle bit they use the same sights as in fullbore and ISSF Olympic shooting.

waltherairriflex345.jpg

Here is a post i done before explaining the different classes.
    Start with the two most popular in Ireland, and the two fastest growing classes.

F-Open - This is shooting done with a rifle, scope, front rest and back bag. Typical calibers include, 7mm, 6.5x284, but any caliber is allowed. It would be unusual, but not unheard off to use another caliber simply because these seem to be the tried and tested ones. The rifle cannot exceed 22lbs in weight. This includes rifle, scope, mounts, bolt. The front rest can be of any size and make, but must have a sand bag between the forestock of the rifle and the rest. The back back must also be of "simple" design and have sand between butt stock and rest/bag. Any power scope can be used.

FTR - This is shooting also done with a rifle, and scope, but has a bipod instead of a rest and a rear sandbag as with F-Open. The discipline is limited to .223, and .308 caliber rifles ONLY. The distances vary between 600 yards to a max of 1,000 yards. The setup for FTR shooting is usually cheaper than F-Open, but depending on your taste and customising of your rifle can be more expensive. The majority (if not all) of shooters use .308 caliber rifles. The vary from TRGs, Remingtons to the popular Savage. Thereason for them being so popular is they have excellent accuracy, but come in (price wise) cheaper than most/all factory rifles but is able to outshoot them from the off requiring no modifications.

The only limit in either class is the size of your wallet. . For €3,500 you could have a brand new rifle, scope and all gear for FTR. The F-open would be slightly more expensive, but not by enough to put you off and all setups could be got second hand.

The other three disciplines are Benchrest, Target rifle, and Match rifle.

TR shooting is open/aperture sight shooting. Done from 300 yards out to 1,000 it requires a good degree of skill and is a great sport. Your have rifle, sights, sling, jacket. No rests, bags or bipods.

Benchrest. This is shooting done with a rifle, scope, front rest and back bag all done in a seated position of a Bench. The rifles have over time become bigger, and more highly tuned than most things you would see on an average range. Have a look at this to see how it goes.

Match Rifle. This shooting done with a .308 caliber rifle at distances of 1,000 / 1,100 / 1,200 yards. In other words where normal F-Class shooting stops. The shooter can use a front rest but no back bag. It is generally shot from the prone position but can also be done "back gunning"

Thanks Cass .. wow now thats what you call an education , very interesting i can see myself been busy the next while watching them vids :D...

Advertisement