Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimated bills deviate hugely from consumption

Options
  • 22-01-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone in EE will be able to cast some light on this.
    I just had a direct debit for over €400 come ouf of my account. This is somewhere in the region of €140 more than my usual bills. My provider has told me that this is because it is an estimate. 

I'm pretty confident that I know how statistical methods like standard deviation and inter/extrapolation work, and can't think of any valid means whereby a bill could deviate by >50% from the usual consumption figures.

Neither my provider, nor the poor girl on the front-line at EE wre able to provide any clarity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Gerry,

While ESB Networks (which operates separately to Electric Ireland) is responsible for actual readings, estimates are at the discretion of the individual supplier. We do not know what criteria have been used in this instance.

Electric Ireland estimates are based on factors like previous consumption patterns (at the address in question) and seasonal changes, but we cannot speak for other suppliers.

We would advise taking a reading and submitting it to your supplier in order to have an accurate bill generated.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hmm... this differs from what my provider told me. According to them, ESB Networks, who apparently aren't the same as Electric Ireland, deliver 6 readings a year, two of which are estimated, based on some criteria/calculation of their own derivation.

Seems like all the information I have is either incomplete or inaccurate. Nonetheless, Una, thanks for your response. I will try to find the right person at whom to direct my queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Gerry,

ESB Networks and Electric Ireland are both under the ESB Group umbrella but operate as separate organisations - differing functions and systems. ESB Networks deals with maintenance of the grid, technical queries, outage queries etc; we at Electric Ireland deal with customer accounts, sales (price-plans), Home Energy Services.

ESB Networks endeavours to read a customer meter four times per year; estimates are suggested by ESB Networks, but are ultimately at the supplier's discretion as they are open to amendment by the supplier.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

That explains why, when I was an ESB customer, I was able to get non-estimated bills.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

You can put your own reading in online/over the phone?

Even when the bill comes - I've received bills that have been estimated both over/under my usage and I've put in a new customer reading the same day. About two days later I get an updated invoice. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement