Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet without UPC box on the wall?

• 22-01-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

I moved house recently and the previous tenant removed the UPC box from the wall. So now there's just a coaxial cable hanging on the inside and running out through the wall on the outside. Not sure if it's male or femals coax.
    I don't need tv, just internet, but will the internet work with just a coax cable, and no upc white box on the wall?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd imagine not but you should probably ring UPC and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Call UPC and tell them you need an engineer install.

They will send one to replace the box and get you set up with the modem etc.

(providing that the address is suitable for UPC Internet obviously)

Oh and no to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They quoted me €60 for the install, so I was hoping I could sort something myself

They quoted me €60 for the install, so I was hoping I could sort something myself

Unfortunately no, unless you have access to one of the wall boxes ? and can put that in its place.

60 isnt too bad though.

I can possibly get the box from my old address and fit it-should that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

All that gear is their property, so I don't think you can move it around willy-nilly from one address to another. Get them to install it (€60 isn't that bad) and they will have to stand over their work. If you're an exisiting customer that has moved address, they might do something for you on the engineer / activation fees (ask to speak to their Customer Loyalty dept), but you can't connect gear yourself or move stuff from one house to another - it's effectively trespass and theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Bear in mind that cable installations are not identical all over Ireland, and some practices were different in certain areas as the networks were built and designed by different companies over the decades.

UPC has standardised things and now puts the isolator in that box on the wall.

However, in Cork for example, it wasn't unusual to find a separate isolator installed at the point where the cable entered the house. In our place it was at the fuse box in the utility room and there were just unbranded cable sockets without any electronics in them at various points around the house.

If the cable installation has been working to this point, you could try and just connect the modem to the coax (assuming it has a socket on it) that was in place.

If there's a problem or, you suspect someone has removed part of the installation, definitely call UPC. They'll have to resolve it.

If it's an old installation, it might need the wiring looked at / replaced anyway. Some of the older coax wasn't really specified for anything beyond analogue cable services.

Yakuza wrote: »
    All that gear is their property, so I don't think you can move it around willy-nilly from one address to another. Get them to install it (€60 isn't that bad) and they will have to stand over their work. If you're an exisiting customer that has moved address, they might do something for you on the engineer / activation fees (ask to speak to their Customer Loyalty dept), but you can't connect gear yourself or move stuff from one house to another - it's effectively trespass and theft.

Of course you can connect the gear yourself. (the box) no offence to some of the engineers but ive found myself assisting them more than they have assisted me in the past.

technically speaking you shouldnt be moving the wall boxes (but this is whats happenened to you) so you are passing the problem on.

If it were me.. well... :)

Obviously you will need an address change on their systems for billing purposes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cable systems need an isolator though to prevent risk of shock should the network become live. It also prevents you accidentally feeding voltages back into the network too.

Got through to cancellations/customer loyalty and they offered me the install for €30, so went with that

• Advertisement

Got through to cancellations/customer loyalty and they offered me the install for €30, so went with that

Just realised that UPC actually charged me €60, rather than the €30 we agreed. Very sly. They used this to stop me cancelling, yet did not honour the agreement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

Just realised that UPC actually charged me €60, rather than the €30 we agreed. Very sly. They used this to stop me cancelling, yet did not honour the agreement

The calls are usually recorded. Get on to them and complain..

No actually, they had docked the €30 off a previous bill I didn't spot, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion there, and I am sorry for sullying their good name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

No actually, they had docked the €30 off a previous bill I didn't spot, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion there, and I am sorry for sullying their good name

To be fair to you, it's an easy mistake to make. Their bills can be somewhat complex and hard to interpret if you make a change to a package during a billing period. Every time I did so, the subsequent bill is a mish-mash of partial package charges and refund credits which can be quite confusing to try and parse.

Advertisement