Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about sale of house without notification

• 22-01-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

A friend of mine was left one sixth share in a property, and it was put up for sale and sold without ANY notification from both Executors of any offers being made on the house or the sale having been being completed.

The two executors did not notify the other 4 of the final sale at all, but the one sixth share IS forthcoming.

But, at this point, with the new owner starting renovation on the property, what rights have been breached as regards non disclosure of the sale by the Executors to the other 4 beneficiaries and can any action be taken or any recompense sought?

Also, the executors solicitor failed (and does he have a duty to) to inform the beneficiaries of the impending sale.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

that sounds complex and seems like legal forum would be best to answer your question. I thought executors could liquidate all assets but having said that, I also thought all owners had to sign the contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

go to a solicitor. An online forum is not the place to seek advise on such a complex matter

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

well I'm hoping someone can help and if the thread needs to moved, that's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Pretty sure the executor can do as they like with things given split ownership. They can decide to sell and split the proceeds if they so choose.
    Normally it is to avoid arguments. Odd they wouldn't have mentioned first but their choice. What did you plan to do with a 6 th of a property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah i believe its up to the executors to have the final say on what goes on without going right into the ins and outs.

If this is in dispute then go seek advice from a solictor in person.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Pretty sure the executor can do as they like with things given split ownership. They can decide to sell and split the proceeds if they so choose.
    Normally it is to avoid arguments. Odd they wouldn't have mentioned first but their choice. What did you plan to do with a 6 th of a property?

the property is sold, they'll get a sixth of the proceeds. It's just 4 didn't want to sell, but the other 2 who had a share and were executors decided to sell. I thought a majority of 4 against 2 would have some bearing, but maybe not.

Thanks for replies.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The executors can sell the house. (The other 4 could have bid on the house if they wished).

However if a beneficiary of a will considers that the executor is not fulfilling their obligations appropriately, then they can sue that executor
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/the_deceaseds_estate/dealing_with_the_deceaseds_estate.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

malene wrote: »
    the property is sold, they'll get a sixth of the proceeds. It's just 4 didn't want to sell, but the other 2 who had a share and were executors decided to sell. I thought a majority of 4 against 2 would have some bearing, but maybe not.

Thanks for replies.

M

The executors are only obliged to take into account the wishes of the beneficiaries but are not obliged to follow majority rule. If 4 didn't want it sold they should have offered to buy out the shares of the two who did want to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Thanks for replies.

M
    Majority rule doesn't apply. The executors should probably have discussed it more. An offer to buy the 2 out should have come up. As mentioned they can sue the executors.
    Family stuff is delicate and I would never want to be an executor again. Don't be so sure that 4 really wanted to keep it, they may have said something different in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want legal advice, you need to speak to a solicitor.

Based on what you have said, the sale might have been imprudent, but not necessarily improper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It's the executors duty and responsibility to realise assets of the Estate and disperse them, be it property, shares, insurance or cash. I don't think they have any duty to consult with beneficiaries on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

well I'm hoping someone can help and if the thread needs to moved, that's fine.

Someone can help. That 'someone' is a solicitor.

Advice from randoms on the interweb is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Thanks to those that contributed. You can lock the thread now if you wish.

M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement