Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Door - Large Dog - Magnetic Collar / Micro Chip?

• 22-01-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I would really appreciate some help on this. I know very little about dog doors but we are going to be in the market soon for one for a large dog (breed as yet unknown)

I'm a bit concerned about other animals (not ours) paying a visit through our door if we just get a standard door. Is this an issue that many here have experienced?

I know that you can get doors where your pet wears a collar with a magnetic tag on it and the door only opens for a pet wearing the collar. Has anyone any experience with these? Are they just a gimmick or do they work well? They are a good bit more expensive that the standard doors.

Any suggestions as to the best door brand to go for. Petsafe seem to be the main one I see online.

Thanks for any advice you can pass my way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The only thing I can say about dog doors, especially large ones, is to be careful. I know a lady in the UK who had her dog door kicked in and her house robbed. I've seen some great ideas where the door goes through the wall, with a kennel being built on the outside to disguise it. ?You may want to check with your insurers as having a dog door could be seen as you not taking every precaution to secure your house, and they may not pay out in the event that you are robbed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have a medium sized dog flap which a child can get through (and have been dispatched thusly in locked-out-of-house situations). And even with the medium size, you've to be careful where you leave the key... An adult could reach up and unlock the door if the key is left in the door. Also, my OH managed to use a sweeping brush to knock the key off a shelf and drag it over to the door (we really did our research with this dog flap!) Never had even an inkling of a threat of another animal coming in through it either.
    A larger flap is an easy route for an adult into your house, and as kylith says, you'd want to be sure it wouldn't affect a claim made on your house insurance for burglary. Then again, there is a theory that a burglar might think that if you need a dog flap THAT big, there must be one help of a dog inside!
    After all I've said, I don't know how large your new dog will be, but my 40kg German Shepherd can get through it in amoeba-like movements, despite the flap being put in for a Cocker x and a westie!

Advertisement