Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners for slight overpronation

Options
  • 22-01-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what runners the experts here would recommend for a slight overpronation. I am currently wearing Nike Pegasus after getting my gait analysed last year. I was told at the time that I had a slight overpronation, but not enough to warrant a support shoe. However I started getting blisters on the inside of my foot arch after about 100 miles in the Pegasus and I don’t feel they offer me enough support. Also, they have netting around the toe and my toe broke through after a very short length of time. I would prefer something more waterproof also as I find my feet get soaked if I happen to hit a puddle.

I plan to get my gait analysed in John Buckley’s in Cork next week, but would like to have an idea of what to look for before I go in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    I am just wondering what runners the experts here would recommend for a slight overpronation. I am currently wearing Nike Pegasus after getting my gait analysed last year. I was told at the time that I had a slight overpronation, but not enough to warrant a support shoe. However I started getting blisters on the inside of my foot arch after about 100 miles in the Pegasus and I don’t feel they offer me enough support. Also, they have netting around the toe and my toe broke through after a very short length of time. I would prefer something more waterproof also as I find my feet get soaked if I happen to hit a puddle.

I plan to get my gait analysed in John Buckley’s in Cork next week, but would like to have an idea of what to look for before I go in.

Nike Lunarglides are good for both Neutral runners and mild Pronators. If you are used to running in Nikes then they might be a good bet for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

ncmc wrote: »

Here's a few answers...

Toe breaking through: probably due to shoe too small. Size up by 1/2 or a full size to prevent this. Sizing will vary between brands, so try them on to see. I'm a 7 in a standard shoe, but an 8 in runners.

Waterproof: Don't even think about it, the more waterproof your shoe the harder it is to get water back out once it gets in. And lets face it, in this country, your feet will get wet. You probably won't find waterproof running shoes anyway, though some offroad shoes come in Goretex, avoid like the plague if intended for running/racing in.

Blisters: Are you using the right socks, is there a hotspot in the shoes causing the problem? This could be any manner of things, though a good pair of socks can help.

Recommendations: I would leave it up to whoever is providing the gait analysis down in Cork, or someone like AKW who has a better knowledge of the range of mild support shoes available at the moment. Its very personal, so what suits one person might not another. Try as many as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Asics 1000 : a shoe that has improved over the last 12months
    Brooks Ravena: (very mixed reviews)
    Saucony Guide (8mm heelto toe drop) Now Sauconys best selling shoe
    Mizuno Elixer: (Can be alittle light for some and outsole not as hard wearing as some others)
    Nike elite: used to be a cracking shoe but now gone to lunar im not a big fan
    Adidas tempo: (very similar to the elixer and agood crossover as a first race shoe and for a lighter runner who wants something light weight with small amount of support.
    New Balance 870: getting some great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I over-pronate slightly, and for a good few years have been using the Kayano as my main runner and the Mizuno Elixir for the occasional session and all races. From the new year, I've been running entirely in the Elixir, and it seems to be perfectly adequate. I don't think it wears particularly badly, I've a pair of Elixir 3s I bought in 2008, that must have close to 400 miles on them, and they're still in great condition. Possibly if your weight is more than maybe 80kg, the shoe might be a bit on the light side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nike Lunarglides are good for both Neutral runners and mild Pronators. If you are used to running in Nikes then they might be a good bet for you.
    Thanks for all the great replies!
    I think I want to move away from the Nike, I have had three pairs now and each time, I felt they lost support very quickly, I got blisters in the exact same place and my toe came through the mesh!
    Here's a few answers...

Toe breaking through: probably due to shoe too small. Size up by 1/2 or a full size to prevent this. Sizing will vary between brands, so try them on to see. I'm a 7 in a standard shoe, but an 8 in runners.

Waterproof: Don't even think about it, the more waterproof your shoe the harder it is to get water back out once it gets in. And lets face it, in this country, your feet will get wet. You probably won't find waterproof running shoes anyway, though some offroad shoes come in Goretex, avoid like the plague if intended for running/racing in.
    Definitely not the wrong size, I just find the mesh on the toe of the Nike very flimsy. I don’t mean fully waterproof, but again, the mesh on the Nike is very open, so even a drop of water gets through. I have seen some brands that look like they are made of more substantial mesh.
    Asics 1000 : a shoe that has improved over the last 12months
    Brooks Ravena: (very mixed reviews)
    Saucony Guide (8mm heelto toe drop) Now Sauconys best selling shoe
    Mizuno Elixer: (Can be alittle light for some and outsole not as hard wearing as some others)
    Nike elite: used to be a cracking shoe but now gone to lunar im not a big fan
    Adidas tempo: (very similar to the elixer and agood crossover as a first race shoe and for a lighter runner who wants something light weight with small amount of support.
    New Balance 870: getting some great reviews
    I have heard good things about Mizuno before and will definitely try a pair of them on, it worries me that you say they aren’t as hard wearing as others. My primary training at the moment is on roads/paths but as the weather improves, I will be doing more training on my local forest path which can be a little rough, so I would need something quite hard wearing.
    I over-pronate slightly, and for a good few years have been using the Kayano as my main runner and the Mizuno Elixir for the occasional session and all races. From the new year, I've been running entirely in the Elixir, and it seems to be perfectly adequate. I don't think it wears particularly badly, I've a pair of Elixir 3s I bought in 2008, that must have close to 400 miles on them, and they're still in great condition. Possibly if your weight is more than maybe 80kg, the shoe might be a bit on the light side.
    Well I found my current Nike started to wear after about 150 miles, so if you are getting 400 miles plus out of your Mizuno then they can’t be too bad! I would be delighted to get that out of a pair of trainers. Definitely not over 80kg, closer to 62/63 though if I keep eating like I am at the moment, then you never know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement