Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a smart phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

It sounds like an Android phone would suit you best. As a reasonably priced, all-round package, you can't go wrong. Also, given your requirements, it doesn't sound like you would even need to spend the €500 for a Samsung Galaxy 3 or an iPhone 5. Even a Sony Xperia J (which will only cost about €200 on Pay As You Go) will tick all your boxes and run Android 4.0.

What kind of money are you thinking of spending? Are you pre-pay or pay monthly?

its a bill phone (work pays for it, its unlimited usage for a flat fee) but they only supply with a basic touch screen nokias at best

i like the sound of the galaxy s3 but i am finding it hard to justify spending over €400 on it, i'd be more comfortable around €200ish tbh

i'll google the sony you mentioned thanks :)

i'm on information overload here but thanks for all the info everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

At that price i'd recommend a Lumia 800. Nice phone!

The CPU is faster than the Xperia J and windows phone is a lot smoother than android on that kind of hardware.

TBi wrote: »
    At that price i'd recommend a Lumia 800. Nice phone!

The CPU is faster than the Xperia J and windows phone is a lot smoother than android on that kind of hardware.

Lumia 800 spec seems to be the most appealing to me, the windows OS has support/selection of apps similar to andriod/apple?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

davet82 wrote: »
    Lumia 800 spec seems to be the most appealing to me, the windows OS has support/selection of apps similar to andriod/apple?
    It is stuck on a legacy version of WP and the apps selection is well behind that of Android/iOS.

It is stuck on a legacy version of WP and the apps selection is well behind that of Android/iOS.

ok i understand the selection is poor which is a con but what version of WP and what effect or how is that bad?

• Advertisement

ok i understand the selection is poor which is a con but what version of WP and what effect or how is that bad?

Latest you'll get is 7.8, it'll never move onto WP8. That means in the future some apps might not work if they are only built for WP8 (although same happens on Android and iPhone if they don't release a software update for your phone).

Not as many apps but generally the popular ones are available, i never found myself lacking and i came from an iPhone. It has so much functionality built in that i rarely needed other apps. That was my impression anyway. There is also a big thread about it on boards.ie.

Remember as well the Xperia J (and similar phones) are sub €200 phones selling at sub €200 euro prices, the 800 was a 500 euro phone which is now selling for a lot less. A few of my friends have them and are impressed.

WP7 is a year and a half old and has already been succeeded, it's an old platform and you would expect developer support to start dropping off now.

WP7 is a year and a half old and has already been succeeded, it's an old platform and you would expect developer support to start dropping off now.

hence the nice price... can it be upgraded?

TBi wrote: »
    Latest you'll get is 7.8, it'll never move onto WP8. That means in the future some apps might not work if they are only built for WP8 (although same happens on Android and iPhone if they don't release a software update for your phone).

Not as many apps but generally the popular ones are available, i never found myself lacking and i came from an iPhone. It has so much functionality built in that i rarely needed other apps. That was my impression anyway. There is also a big thread about it on boards.ie.

Remember as well the Xperia J (and similar phones) are sub €200 phones selling at sub €200 euro prices, the 800 was a 500 euro phone which is now selling for a lot less. A few of my friends have them and are impressed.
    Like I have said a few times, my wife has a Lumia 800 and she's happy with it as the only apps she cares about are Whatsapp and Facebook. If apps are important to you and you want a fuller smartphone experience though, the Lumia 800 is well behind iOS and Android.

That's the choice you have to make.

Danger781 wrote: »
    I would personally choose the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 over an Xperia J at around the same price. It's a better phone overall.
    The J was just a budget phone I picked off the top of my head. Samsung would probably be the better choice. I read recently there that the 3 year old Samsung Galaxy S can be upgraded to the latest version of 4.2.1 and still run great - http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/411129/20121204/install-android421-hellybean-jellybean-rom-samsung-galaxys.htm

Amazing considering that the Lumia 800 was obsolete in less than a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Danger781 wrote: »
    I would personally choose the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 over an Xperia J at around the same price. It's a better phone overall.

+1 I thought the Ace 2 is very good. Its stuck on 2.3 at the moment but an upgrade to 4.1 I think is meant to be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I agree with what Danger said on the first page, I have used both iPhone and Android, and I much prefer Android, thats not to say iPhones are useless or anything, they are very good, quick and easy to use.

However, I way prefer Android due to the ability to do pretty much whatever you like with it in terms of customisation, you would have to look pretty hard to find two Androids that look the same or have the same layout and colours etc.

Whereas get two people one from Wexford and one from Donegal who have iPhone 5's and put the two phones together and chances are you wont know whos is whos.

As for music well iTunes is great but there are plenty of alternatives on Android too, I have an app that lets me get any music I like for free, dont think I can give the name here but PM me if you want to. Plus with my Android I can set these songs as my ringtone in a second, whereas when I had an iPhone I had to go to iTunes and copy and past a song and change its file type and blah blah blah then sync everything again. With Android on the actual phone I can get a song pick any section of that song and set that section as my ring tone all in under a minute. Thats one of the examples of why I love Android and will never go Apple again.

Samsung or HTC would be my choice.

Dont bother spending a fortune. The galaxy Mini 2 is fine and does all of those things. Got mine for 100 quid.
    I'm quite happy with mine. Perfect for internet and facebook messenger etc. My OH has the S2 and i really dont see whats so good about it compared to mine. basically the difference in price isnt justified i feel.

Makes you less of a target for thieves as well i would imagine.

The differences are pretty obvious.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3621&idPhone2=3883

Ok i'm gonna try this...

You have just lost you're phone, you have €200 which phone would you buy?

(and no you don't have insurance :p )

Ok i'm gonna try this...

(and no you don't have insurance :p )

Bill or pay as you go.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Bill or pay as you go.

pay as you go / sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

pay as you go / sim free

Happened to me bought an Ascend G330

Does the job for 150, PAYG

For that price the only one I can see (had quick look on Vodafone and O2) is the Sony Xperia J, I would go for the HTC Desire X either which is about €230 (but then I am on my second HTC and like them alot)

Nokia lumia 800 in a heart beat. Only 149 RTG so 50 euro to spend on credit and hours saved not worrying about potential android problems.

OLED screen, 8MP camera, 16GB storage and the speed of WP7.8.

The biggest problem i found with customisation is that i was forever customising, never actually using the item for what it's supposed to be used for.

Any problems unlocking the 330 or 800?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

BostonB wrote: »
    Any problems unlocking the 330 or 800?
    No idea, i was/am on Meteor, there is a thread on this forum worth checking out,

I dont think its an issue on the 330

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Nokia Lumia 800 / Samsung Galaxy Ace II / HTC Desire X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Second hand phones maybe ?

Could get a top-end Samsung Galaxy S1/S2 or HTC (don't know the older models) for that price.
    They can be reset to factory software is anybody has been customising it, and you can upgrade the android software once you buy a pre-pay SIM one of the mobile phone providers.

Advertisement