Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread banned in AH

Options
  • 22-01-2013 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

I have been thread banned permanently by drbollocko for this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82818981&postcount=5008

Which I believe to be unfair.

I have read the charter now several times, and I cannot see where I'm in breach of it.

That post was neither off topic, personally abusive, nor any of the other rules listed in the charter.

I'd like this thread ban reversed please, if someone could point me towards a specific rule in the forum charter that has been broken, I will not question the decision and will take my medicine.

If however no forum rule has been broken,I would like the decision reversed and will promise to stick to the charter rules rigidly, as I always try to do regardless.

It is not against forum charter as far as I'm aware to challenge another posters statements. If it is, please point it out on the charter.

The moderators decision on this looks very one sided, I for one would view been branded a tax evader as a personal form of abuse, and that is merely scraping the surface of this particular thread by the same posters.

I've used boards now for close to seven years, this is the first instance I've been thread banned.

Ghandee

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP, since this isn't DRP related.

As per the charter, have you PM'd the mods yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Spear wrote: »
    Moved from DRP, since this isn't DRP related.

As per the charter, have you PM'd the mods yet?

Yes.

Reason given was 'off topic digs' on a thread relating to the household charge?

Refused to point out if I've broken charter rules, and told me to appeal if I wished, he'd not change his mind.

Looks like making rules up as they go along.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then have you PM'd the cmods for the rec category?

Hi,

Sorry, yes I've pm'd the c-mod who told me I was thread banned.

Above was his response, I'm now appealing as per his suggestion.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi Ghandee,

You were infracted on the 19/01 for posts relating to that thread. We had a PM convo where you assure me you would post more thoughtfully. This general warning was issued on the same day.
    Mod

Do not call people out as trolls or re-reg's please. Report.

Do not keep on harping on about what people believe or work at. There are 25,000 posts on this subject over three seperate threads, feel feel to qoute from any of those to make a point. It's creepy to stalk people across other fora or use data in their profile.

The stupid digs and double teaming is tiresome, stop it please.

A few posters infracted. From here on it, it is straight thread ban.

Think very very carefully before you post.

Fair warning.

We can not be fairer then that. It is clear as day.

I am of the opinion you have no basis on which to appeal.

• Advertisement

Hi Ghandee,

You were infracted on the 19/01 for posts relating to that thread. We had a PM convo where you assure me you would post more thoughtfully. This general warning was issued on the same day.

We can not be fairer then that. It is clear as day.

I am of the opinion you have no basis on which to appeal.

Hi Mickey.

That's all fair enough, no argument from me.

My only problem lies here.
    Do not call people out as trolls or re-reg's please. Report.

Do not keep on harping on about what people believe or work at. There are 25,000 posts on this subject over three seperate threads, feel feel to qoute from any of those to make a point. It's creepy to stalk people across other fora or use data in their profile.

The stupid digs and double teaming is tiresome, stop it please.

I've not did any of the things listed in the above warning?

Like I've asked in the OP, if my post that seen me banned from the thread contradicted/ignored any of that instruction, please point it out to me.

What I challenged the poster in question on, was on topic, very civil, and I had every right to ask him to clarify his position, and point out his hypocrisy.

I think I've every ground to appeal here, I've stuck to what was asked of me, seems to me I got thread banned for no other reason than someone felt like it.

Not fair, not warranted.

I would like the ban reversed amicably between us , if it can't, I'd like an admin investigation .

Lastly, calling people tax evaders most definitely could be classed as personal abuse, though no infractions/no bans?

Like I say, if someone can point out a rule in the charter I've breached in the post that got me banned, I'll suck it up.

Ghandee

No further contact in over 24 hrs now.

Sent drbollocko several pm's, no replies.

Hereby request admin investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What I challenged the poster in question on, was on topic, very civil, and I had every right to ask him to clarify his position, and point out his hypocrisy.

This, here, is what strikes me as the issue. What you consider "civil" comes across quite differently to others. Having read some of your posts, particularily on this topic, you come across as verging on the agressive and confrontational. That in turn impacts others, and their reactions..and this is how thread derailments begin. Such postings generate more, and then they grow and so on, so forth.

I appreciate that it's not always possible for you or anyone else to sometimes step back from their own postings and review it and see them how others do, but take it from someone who's looked at a few, you might need to do the virtual "step back, take a breath" move before positing in emotive threads.

I'm quite happy with the actions taken here by the Mods. Hopefully you'll take this as a flag, not a slap. It's perfectly possible to partake in discussions without the baggage some of your postings bring. You might even get more out of it if you do.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    This, here, is what strikes me as the issue. What you consider "civil" comes across quite differently to others. Having read some of your posts, particularily on this topic, you come across as verging on the agressive and confrontational. That in turn impacts others, and their reactions..and this is how thread derailments begin. Such postings generate more, and then they grow and so on, so forth.

I appreciate that it's not always possible for you or anyone else to sometimes step back from their own postings and review it and see them how others do, but take it from someone who's looked at a few, you might need to do the virtual "step back, take a breath" move before positing in emotive threads.

I'm quite happy with the actions taken here by the Mods. Hopefully you'll take this as a flag, not a slap. It's perfectly possible to partake in discussions without the baggage some of your postings bring. You might even get more out of it if you do.

Thanks for your response BuffyBot.

A lot of points taken on board, I can see from your point how some of my posts could come across in ways described, I do however try to keep it civil and on topic as best I can.

A few closing points I'd like to get across however.

I don't think moderators, making on the spot, nilly-wily rules, on thread, as we go along does the sites reputation any favours, it may even come across as one sided at times.

I also think that it's terribly bad form for a c-mod to blatantly ignore pm's sent to him, all in an extremely civil tone, simply requesting them to point if I've gone against charter? That does not do the forums they rule over any favours IMO.

Lastly, if someone referred to you as a 'tax evader' repeatedly on thread, would you yourself consider that a form of personal abuse?

I'll take my medicine as promised though.

Thanks again for the input.

Ghandee

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thank you for your reply.

I'll mark this as resolved.

With regard to your comments: Moderation isn't a tick box, action A = result B process. I dread to think how boards.ie would be if that ever became the case. I think a lot of people fail to realise how good things are here, in comparison to some sites/community products.

That said, no system is perfect. We accept that perfection (whatever that may be) will be probably never be achieved. There simply is no way to make every one happy, all of the time.

With regards to PM's: I'm not privy to them, but I know that many times when you've repeatedly made a point there comes a stage where responding simply becomes a waste of time. You can't provide an answer that will satisfy the other party, and you just end up in a loop. That's not productive for anyone, never mind someone volunteering their time.

With regards to the "tax evader" comment: it's depends. Context is king. Regardless the "he started it"/"he did it first" approach doesn't wash with me at all. That's not directed at you: I've said it to many complainants before, and will again. You can report the posts. You can PM the mods, and you can PM the CMods in turn and if eventually it comes to that stage, an Admin.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement