Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where has all the Yellow Bean Sauce gone???

Options
  • 22-01-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Once upon a time it was easy to find Yellow Bean Sauce in the major supermakets - brnads like Sharwoods, Amoy etc... but recently I can't find anything in the major stores. I know I can get it in Asian markets, but was wondering if there was some reason it is not generally on sale (In Cork & Mayo at least).

Is there an associated food scare or something?

BTW: Same thing seems to have happended to uncooked prawn crackers - can only seem to find pre-cooked ones in the supermarkets?

Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

IRCA wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Once upon a time it was easy to find Yellow Bean Sauce in the major supermakets - brnads like Sharwoods, Amoy etc... but recently I can't find anything in the major stores. I know I can get it in Asian markets, but was wondering if there was some reason it is not generally on sale (In Cork & Mayo at least).

Is there an associated food scare or something?

BTW: Same thing seems to have happended to uncooked prawn crackers - can only seem to find pre-cooked ones in the supermarkets?

Any info appreciated!

Maybe the supermarkets have copped on that people are going to Asian shops for such items where they get more choice and cheaper prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you asked in the supermarket, or checked if they have other sections. e.g. in my tesco there are at least 3 places, maybe 4, with stuff I would have stacked all together if it was my shop. Like a Japanese section, a "foods of the world" section, very far apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you asked in the supermarket, or checked if they have other sections. e.g. in my tesco there are at least 3 places, maybe 4, with stuff I would have stacked all together if it was my shop. Like a Japanese section, a "foods of the world" section, very far apart.

that a bit headwrecking alright, they have nuts (almonds & cashews) in the fruit and veg section, the vegertaion/healthfood section, the baking section and now the ethnic section, all in different sizes and and price per kg....i think the Aasani 750g big bags are best value in the ethnic section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Next time you are home mr . Bell in the English market has good sized tubs of yellow Thai paste

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Next time you are home mr . Bell in the English market has good sized tubs of yellow Thai paste
    Presumably, that's a Thai yellow curry paste. OP is looking for yellow bean sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I've been looking for some to (in Mayo) and couldn't find it. Been using black bean paste! If you come across it in mayo post back here ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

idunno78 wrote: »
    I've been looking for some to (in Mayo) and couldn't find it. Been using black bean paste! If you come across it in mayo post back here ;)
    Did you try the ethnic food shop on Linenhall Street in Castlebar? I haven't looked for yellow bean sauce in there, but they've had damn near everything I've ever gone in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Curry past is on the specials for Lidl this week

Advertisement