Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Obama for Wexford ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

He'll surely join me for a pint of Guinness somewhere no?

Finally fulfill my dream death of being shot to pieces by the Secret Service as I just try to shake his hand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

He's going to the G8 in Fermanagh in June .. That should be an interesting 2 days .......I hope they have all the flags flying high.

Then he has to visit his 8th generation cousin in Moneygall .

Can't see how it would be worth his while visiting Wexford ........All the Kennedy's are coming over , should be enough .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Hope he does come. I'd love a chance to get close to Michelle. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He's going to the G8 in Fermanagh in June .. That should be an interesting 2 days .......I hope they have all the flags flying high.

Then he has to visit his 8th generation cousin in Moneygall .

Can't see how it would be worth his while visiting Wexford ........All the Kennedy's are coming over , should be enough .

I don't think ALL the Kennedys are coming :D;)

I think it would be phenomenol for Wexford to have Barack in the county, and in particular New Ross. Wexford would love to get him in town I'll bet.

Can't buy that type of publicity in the good ole U.S. of A. !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I'm just curious as to what people think, but, besides costing us a fortune, what is this visit going to bring to Wexford ? Has Moneygall benefited in an way ?

• Advertisement

paulaa wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to what people think, but, besides costing us a fortune, what is this visit going to bring to Wexford ? Has Moneygall benefited in an way ?

Can't do any harm, might promote tourism in the county, it's "the gathering" year so maybe the folk in the USA might take a spin to Wexford when in Ireland.

There is always going to be costs.

From Paul Kehoe
    Minister of State Paul Kehoe announced this weekend that Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of the late U.S.A President John F Kennedy will be guest of honour at the JFK50 celebrations in Ireland and New Ross next June.

Minister Kehoe said;” I was requested by an Taoiseach Enda Kenny to co-ordinate the national events surrounding the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of President Kennedy’s visit to Ireland in 1963 and to liaise with the Kennedy family about their participation. I am delighted that Caroline has accepted the Taoiseach’s invitation to attend. I can also confirm that former Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith will also be attending as a special guest, along with the likely attendance of newly elected Congressman Joseph Kennedy. I am sure many other members of the Kennedy family will also be in New Ross next June and young Bobby Kennedy has already indicated to me that he will be back to New Ross for the JFK50 celebrations”.
    In the days leading up to the celebrations in New Ross in June , Minister Kehoe has confirmed that there will be a dinner in Caroline Kennedy’s honour hosted by the Taoiseach in Iveagh House on the 20th of June which will replicate the State Dinner held to welcome President Kennedy at the same venue in 1963. “The settings and the menus from that occasion are being reproduced.” Minister Kehoe said.

http://www.paulkehoe.com/?p=854

just to let ye know that there is a delegation from New Ross in Washington , and their job is to meet senior White House officials and deliver a formal invitation to Obama .
    A TRIP by New Ross Town Council to the USA later this month in the hope of securing investment has the potential to bring ' thousands of euro and thousands of people' to the town.

This trip is billed to be 'the best opportunity this town has had in two generations' by Cllr. Michael Sheehan, who will be travelling to Washington DC on January 21 with Cathaoirleach Paul Crowdle and another delegate to be chosen by the County Manager.

This is a turning point in the history of New Ross. It will open many opportunities for New Ross and will ensure that the JFK50 events, our town, our county are highlighted on an international stage. It has the potential to ensure we get our messages to millions which in turn could see thousands of people from overseas visit New Ross. It means tourism, commerce, trade, jobs investment in, and promotion of New Ross,' said Cllr. Sheehan

So much negativity around here, can people not see this as a positive instead of a negative;)

I would see it as a positive if he came with the promise of US investment in the county , rather than a photo op to keep the Irish American votes onside.

I think I'm not the only one that has a healthy cynicism of all politicians and their motives

• Advertisement

So who's going to the JFK Homestead tomorrow , to meet our Minister Brian Hayes TD . ?

So who's going to the JFK Homestead tomorrow , to meet our Minister Brian Hayes TD . ?

Who?:D WTF is he doing there? A reci mission?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Who?:D WTF is he doing there? A reci mission?

Only found out he was coming when our Government Chief Whip and Minister of State , Mr. PK tweeted me :).
    @govchiefwhip
    Minister for OPW, Brian Hayes TD will visit the JFK Homestead in New Ross tomorrow to see the progress on the new visitor centre

I'm sure he has more important appointments in Co. Wexford tomorrow .

Maybe he's going to turn the sod , on some new advance factories / Technology Parks .( who knows )

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

paulaa wrote: »
    Free American flags for all!

Nice to see the weather obliged Mr Hayes today :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

vicwatson wrote: »
    So much negativity around here, can people not see this as a positive instead of a negative;)

would you really blame people for being negitve about anything to do with politics just a pity didnt give out a bit more .

rossit wrote: »
    would you really blame people for being negitve about anything to do with politics just a pity didnt give out a bit more .

Politicians aren't gonna do it for us, the sooner we realise this the better, they look after number 1 and it's that simple.

But looking at this barack visit as an opportunity and to hell with the politics of it.

Maybe B&B's, Guesthouses, restaurants, tourist attractions, small business etc etc will all benefit in some manner - they are the people I hope get some benefit through tourism.

Forget politicians, it'll just give you road rage if you dwell on them

Advertisement