Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Restaurant

Options
  • 22-01-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I am playing with the idea of opening a German Restaurant in Dublin City area. There will be your traditional offerings, as well as freezer stuff to bring home. I am German and a very good Chef.

Do you think that this is a good idea or a bad business idea.

All comments are welcome.

Kind regards

Oliver

Is this a good business idea? 30 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    63% 19 votes
    Maybe
    36% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Tried to vote on smartphone but won't for some reason, but yes go for it,a cuisine i would love to try!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's not much of a cuisine, there's a place here in London called Katzenjammer, google it to have a look, but it's more about the beer than anything else. I think a German style place that sold beer in Mass, would be the main appeal to Irish people, but currywurst and noodeln etc aren't exactly haute cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's not much of a cuisine, there's a place here in London called Katzenjammer, google it to have a look, but it's more about the beer than anything else. I think a German style place that sold beer in Mass, would be the main appeal to Irish people, but currywurst and noodeln etc aren't exactly haute cuisine.
    Thanks for the comments and votes.
    Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I've got to agree with BraziliaNZ here. Having spent the last 3 years in Berlin, I don't miss any of the German food at all now that I'm back here. The drinks on the other hand, they're a different story :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Oliver, after living a number of years in beautiful Germany, I miss the food, beer, everything. If I was not setting up a new business I would move back to Berlin. In a few weeks I am going back for a little holiday and can't wait to eat the cheap kebaps (million times better then Abrakedebra) currywurst mit pommes frites und mayo, and schnitzel & sauerkraut. I love German food so if you need any advise or help pls get onto me but definitely I would love a German restaurant in Dublin. I certainly wud be in a few times a week. Bis bald!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

There's actually a significant German community in Dublin. If you tapped into that, you'd do well, I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Maybe.

First question I'd have to ask is what German cuisine; more southern (Swabian, Bavarian, Austrian or even Swiss), more northern (which involves far more fish, hence the disparaging term Fischkopf), influenced by the ex-DDR (I've noticed they have a fondness for a few products that hark back to the 'good old days', like Bautzner Senf) or pan-Germanic, bit of everything.

That's probably important because if you're going to be the cook, your skills may be limited as far as range are concerned.

As a negative, Germany is not really noted for its cuisine, beyond a handful of stereotypical dishes, compared to many other nations. As such many dishes would appear pretty alien to the Irish, who would principally think of beer rather than food when they think of Germany. Some dishes, such as Matjes, probably wouldn't work very well.

As a positive, there would hardly be a lot of competition in the area and there are plenty of Germans in Ireland (although they come from all over Germany). Also the propensity for potatoes in many German dishes would fit well with the Irish palette.

Overall, My guess is there is a market there, but it very much depends on how to package your offering; something akin to a Kneipe may work better than a restaurant proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I honestly don't think it's that great of an idea, what food would you offer, it's not as thought there's alot of things that Germans eat that you can't get/make here.

I reckon you'd be better off with a German themed pub and and offer "pub grub", but not a German restaurant (just my 0,02€)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP even in Germany they don't have German restaurants.

As a restaurant person possibly the last type of restaurant I would choose to eat in is a German restaurant. However if there is enough of a german community to tap into in ireland there could be enough business in it for you food wise. Getting groups of germans in for friday and saturday would be your core business for the food I guess. If you could figure out something for lunchtime trade - maybe hotdog, hotwurst! related that could be the difference

And like everyone else is saying the Paddys will sink the german beer and lots of the other tourists will too if its in the right spot. Could have your own little octoberfest beer promos and stuff like that.
    So despite my first negative point it could well work. But you need to have serious stones to open up a restaurant now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Would I go out of my way to visit a German restaurant...probably not.

I think there is potential for a German "beer keller / weinstube" type place but having frothy german beer on tap will be costly. This means your prices will probably have to be premium level.

As for the tapping into natives who want to visit a bit of the fatherland
    in Dublin...their numbers are not that high here and they can be an extremely frugal bunch.

And lastly, to tap into the tourist market will probably mean a good location and that (alas) will come at a cost.

Your idea ticks a lot of boxes, it is different, it has good opportunities for mini beerfest-type events, it would tap into consumers demand for more
    "fancy" beer types. But as others have pointed out, the recession is not being very kind to the hospitality industry. This economic climate would mean a giganteum effort (and overdraft) would be needed to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I will take all on board.
    Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Pork schnitzel, saugages + sauerkraut, pork hocks these are the dishes that may bring some Polish nationals in.

But careful not to overdo with German decor

Advertisement