Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plants as air purifiers

• 22-01-2013 3:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one any suggestions for house plants that can be used as air purifiers?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well that's interesting. I knew the spider plant was one of the purifiers, but I thought it was more effective than the list suggests. Chrysanths are useful according to the list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

This article I read recently might be helpful, I think they sell them in Ikea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The plants from Ikea are fantastic quality indeed.

Myself and my girlfriend have bought many a plant from Ikea and have the house transformed with them.

Thread here on potting up indoor plants that I posted in the past (with some pics too).

Might be usefull to some people here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79435352

DSCF9968.jpg

• Advertisement

Indoor plants also make for a pleasent atmosphere and make a room seem and feel very relaxing and nice too.They also bring the outdoors indoors too,and bring in some colour too.

Oh and dont forget the open jar or bottle of water too,so that the plants can absorb the moisture.

Depending on the plant.......A regular and good misting (spray bottle in Lidl for 3 euro) of the leaves every 2 days or so is alao a good idea.

Spray/mist the leaves in the morning so that they dry out and absorb the water during the daytime and by the evening time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for the great advice. Im in Dublin in a couple of weeks so will be diverting via Ikea.
    Thanks again

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Thanks for the great advice. Im in Dublin in a couple of weeks so will be diverting via Ikea.
    Thanks again

Ikea have a great selection of indoor plants,trees and catus aswell.

Also some lovely quirky plant pots too

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Thanks again

Ikea just got in a big stock of various plants this morning.

Went up and bought some more for our house.

My Girlfriend must be sorry that she got me into gardening and plants now.:pac::D

1.2 litre plastic watering jug for 50 cents....YES PLEASE..bought 2 of them for the house plants.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

paddy147 wrote: »
    Oh and dont forget the open jar or bottle of water too,so that the plants can absorb the moisture.

Depending on the plant.......A regular and good misting (spray bottle in Lidl for 3 euro) of the leaves every 2 days or so is alao a good idea.

Spray/mist the leaves in the morning so that they dry out and absorb the water during the daytime and by the evening time.

We have a new house that is supposedly pretty airtight and has a MHRV system. My other half has a number of fresh herb plants on the utility room window cill .. pretty much covers the entire window cill. I have noticed that the bottom of this window is often covered with condensation and I wondered if the plants were contributing to this problem. The utility room is not big and has a MHRV extract in the room.

creedp wrote: »
    We have a new house that is supposedly pretty airtight and has a MHRV system. My other half has a number of fresh herb plants on the utility room window cill .. pretty much covers the entire window cill. I have noticed that the bottom of this window is often covered with condensation and I wondered if the plants were contributing to this problem. The utility room is not big and has a MHRV extract in the room.

I wouldnt really know to be honest with you.

Could be a lack of air circulation/ventilation and the plant pots also dripping water out the bottom of them in the utility room,if there is water/condensation at the window.

All our house plants come from/originate from tropical counteries and humid climates,so thats why we mist/spray them on a regular basis with tepid water,and we also put down open jars of water near any rads to keep some moisture and humidity in the air for the plants to take in and grow.

We have all the palms,trees and plants in drip trays with capillary matting too.

Works very well too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wouldnt really know to be honest with you.

Could be a lack of air circulation/ventilation and the plant pots also dripping water out the bottom of them in the utility room,if there is water/condensation at the window.

All our house plants come from/originate from tropical counteries and humid climates,so thats why we mist/spray them on a regular basis with tepid water,and we also put down open jars of water near any rads to keep some moisture and humidity in the air for the plants to take in and grow.

We have all the palms,trees and plants in drip trays with capillary matting too.

Works very well too.:)

Thanks for the info. It may well not be the source of the condensation but it is the only room in the house with that level of condensation on the window so there must be some source.

Advertisement