Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Gritting (or the lack of it)

Options
  • 22-01-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Had to drive into Tralee today and covered a lot of the main roads into the town. Quite obvious there was little (if any at all) gritting done resulting in driving conditions on a par with an ice-rink. The council should hang their heads in shame. God forbid if somebody had a fatal accident.
    It's easy to see now where the household charge is not going. Local services - yeah right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Its because your County Councillers are too busy planning how to allow people Drink Drive as opposed to contingency planning when bad weather occours

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

nelly17 wrote: »
    Its because your County Councillers are too busy planning how to allow people Drink Drive as opposed to contingency planning when bad weather occours

Those councillors, salt of the earth, they should drop them on the roads, ice will thaw in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Those councillors, salt of the earth, they should drop them on the roads, ice will thaw in no time.

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the housing estates in Tralee were lethal! I heard a school bus couldn't get up the hill in Fairway Heights. Many people telling me they couldn't get out of their estates due to the ice & snow on the road in the estate and being stuck. Why can't the council grit estates too?? they do have plenty of grit apparently!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    the housing estates in Tralee were lethal! I heard a school bus couldn't get up the hill in Fairway Heights. Many people telling me they couldn't get out of their estates due to the ice & snow on the road in the estate and being stuck. Why can't the council grit estates too?? they do have plenty of grit apparently!

Didn't they buy a huge consignment in late 2011, because they expected another 2010 type winter which didn't materialise? Of course it could have been washed away by the rain last summer.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Didn't they buy a huge consignment in late 2011, because they expected another 2010 type winter which didn't materialise? Of course it could have been washed away by the rain last summer.:(

I believe they even built a storage unit out near the Earl of Desmond roundabout to store the salt after the 2010 freeze. Surely, it would have been readily available for very quick distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

The salt was there alright - where were the workers though???????
    Maybe they decided "Discretion is the better part of valour" and in so doing to ring in and declare a "Duvet Day". No wonder this country and more so this county is banjaxed.
    Now we're paying more taxes for "local services" lets not be afraid to scream loudly when the service is not up to scratch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The salt was there alright - where were the workers though???????
    Maybe they decided "Discretion is the better part of valour" and in so doing to ring in and declare a "Duvet Day". No wonder this country and more so this county is banjaxed.
    Now we're paying more taxes for "local services" lets not be afraid to scream loudly when the service is not up to scratch.

well when this stupid property tax is paid, I will be demanding they come into our estate and other estates in the town, and grit it like they do the main roads. That is what this tax is meant to be going towards, services, so they better do what they say they will do...

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    well when this stupid property tax is paid, I will be demanding they come into our estate and other estates in the town, and grit it like they do the main roads. That is what this tax is meant to be going towards, services, so they better do what they say they will do...

It will probably be going towards the salary and expenses increases which all of them bar Ms Ferris voted for.

.. and while I'm on the subject of councillors and what we're paying for, those idiots who voted for the "Licence to get pissed and drive" motion shouldn't see one cent of our money, and should be kicked off the Kerry gravy train.

Advertisement