Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Doesnt that make it
    If that makes Smith 12 and Capaldi 13 shouldnt we see The Valeyard soon or maybe John Hurt becomes The Valeyard?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Coldzone wrote: »
    Doesnt that make it
    If that makes Smith 12 and Capaldi 13 shouldnt we see The Valeyard soon or maybe John Hurt becomes The Valeyard?
    It means the Valeyard should burst into existence between Smith's and Capaldi's Doctor. Meaning, perhaps, the Dreamlord could actually be the Valeyard...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Master wrote: »
    Current rumor is that
    doctor 10.5 (the hand regeneration) will count as a regeneration as will Hurt's Doctor, meaning Matt Smith is the 13th and final regeneration. The xmass special will see Capaldi becoming the first in a new cycle of regenerations

Oooh, wasn't thinking of that. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Current rumor is that
    doctor 10.5 (the hand regeneration) will count as a regeneration as will Hurt's Doctor, meaning Matt Smith is the 13th and final regeneration. The xmass special will see Capaldi becoming the first in a new cycle of regenerations

And there is
    Moffat did say there's something we've all missed with the regenerations and we should go back and count

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Coldzone wrote: »
    Doesnt that make it
    It means the Valeyard should burst into existence between Smith's and Capaldi's Doctor. Meaning, perhaps, the Dreamlord could actually be the Valeyard...
    xmass special supposedly shows the battle on Trenzalore that goes on for a millennia, with Matts doc finally dieing of old age. Plenty of time for Valeyard et all to show up etc..

• Advertisement

There's 15 people checking this forum right now, is that the busiest it's been? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

blogtorwho has some great screen caps for anyone looking - SPOILERS though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It gives me hope
    That all living Doctors may have a part to play on screen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's McGann! Doc #8 finally gets another crack and also a regeneration! Wooo!
    Wow, so you could say that technically McGann was never lying about his involvement - he's not part of the full anniversary story but even so, the BBC really know how to tease the fans somtimes.

Also: the Sisterhood on Karn. Another surprise, it took me a moment to remember where they're from but it was a nice subsequent nod to the classic series. So then we can presume that the Time War engulfed the universe, and the Doc was apparently avoiding it as much as possible, and chose to regenerate into Hurt as an exasperated resignation to his fate. Interesting.

So the question of lives: I'd be inclined to agree with some of the above, that perhaps Smith will be the 'final' regeneration. There has been another theory knocking about that the TimeLords will be reincarnated at some point, with Moffat in particular never happy they were all bumped off; so perhaps if they come back & reassert control over their species, the Doc's regenerative cycle will be reset as a result? It'd neatly avoid the problem of the 13 lives while at the same time not ignoring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well that was just..awesome :D
    So glad we got to see 8 again. He deserved at least some canon closure and and a re-generation scene to boot! Now I want to see at least another couple of McGann episodes :D

Well done to the production team for keeping that one under wraps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

That video made me shout....MORE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Well that was just..awesome :D
    So glad we got to see 8 again. He deserved at least some canon closure and and a re-generation scene to boot! Now I want to see at least another couple of McGann episodes :D

Well done to the production team for keeping that one under wraps!

Yeah. In many ways it's validation that even in this time of cameraphone-set-photos and endless leaks on the internet, you can still keep a secret hidden from the masses. It's a rare pleasure to be genuinely surprised by TV these days :)

But yeah, I guarantee in the coming days those involved will have to clarify future involvement after that minisode :D

@Mods: Can we consider this minisode the first salvo of the 50th Anniversary and add ***SPOILERS*** (and maybe a note about this minisode) to the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Perhaps, this also serves as indicator to how little we truly know.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

My thoughts on Night of The Doctor beneath heavy SPOILER tags below:

- For all his perceived sexism etc as the fans see it, moffat just made it EXPLICITLY canon again for a second time (neil gaiman did it first) that you can easily regenerate into a woman if you want to. Fantastic news for the vitality of the series going ahead that this option has been definitely, 100% opened now to future creators of the show.

- the explicit shoutout to big finish and to everything that they’ve done was just lovely

- “Young or old? Fat or thin?” is a reference to when the Second Doctor regenerated into the third I think, love it :)

- ”because you are a Good Man, as you call it?”

SAID AT THE EXACT MOMENT WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR

- I love that The Brain of Morbius got a nod, it’s one of my absolute favourite Fourth Doctor stories. Doctor Who does a hammer horror pastiche, what’s not to like? :)

- Hopefully this’ll shut down the “Moffat hates Classic fans, waah waah waah!!” crowd. Moffat is the biggest fanboy going, guys, he just wants the biggest episode possible.

Having this separate from the 50th means McGann doesn’t get lost in the shuffle and he gets his own unique shining moment (and finally the chance to regenerate, no less!) AND has all of his audio adventures made canon. The rest of the Classic Doctors got THEIR big shoutout in The Name of The Doctor, without us having to watch present-day Colin Baker try to fit into his costume. No-one can complain now about "McGann only getting five minutes at the start!!!" or whatever like if they had included it next week, he has his own moment in the sun special to him now and TBH he really deserves it :)

- And now that's done the 50th itself can be used as a way of setting up the FUTURE of the franchise, rather than simply being an overcrowded checklist of previous Doctors and companions with no life to it like other anniversary episodes of the show *coughTheFiveDoctorscough* have been.

Really, really like the way the series has been handled lately, with all the hoopla. Lots of deft touches and nods of the head to the fans. Can’t wait for An Adventure In Space and Time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It also means that War Doctor has either lived a full life, and the Time War was some sort of massively spanning affair, or merely, a rapidly ageing event.

Clever get-around with the re-gen. It worked on 3-levels: Avoids completely blowing the spectacle given 11's is near, and concealed Hurt's aged form, and BOOM! McGann regeneration.

Calm down lads and lassies, while yes this is a lovely nod to Big Finish and all the sterling work they and McGann have done, it doesn't make the audio plays canon, it makes the characters canon.

The Triskelion was mentioned in SHIELD this week, that doesn't make the Ultimates canon in the Marvel cinematic universe...

50th Anniversary plot speculation below
    Was just thinking there, Eccleson (as far as we know) won't be involved next week, which is fine. These things don't always pan out, and it means we get JOHN HURT instead as a grizzled war veteran so I'm over-the-moon.

However, to get around this, I'd love for the last few minutes of the 50th to be John Hurt regenerating, and maybe a swish of a black jacket or something (so we know who it is), and then for it to end on a condensed version of the previously shot footage from series one :)

"Hello Rose Tyler - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

THE END

:p

Who says we won't get Ecclestone? They said we wouldn't be getting any classic Doctors either and that was clearly a (much appreciated right now tbh) lie... maybe, just maybe, we'll get a wee cameo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I enjoyed that more than some full length episodes...

This also shows that
    McGann's doctor lived long enough to have aged the equivalent of 19 human years which leaves plenty of scope for more 8th Doctor adventures

Beautiful!!

SPOILER IN THE ATTACHMENT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It does give them a nice reasoning not to involve the 9th Dr. Memories too raw and all that.
    That was incredible. I'm hopping up and down here. Holy smokes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I loved that. Too short :( The nods to the old days were brill. Loved
    the sisters. I remembered them from when I was a kid. Brilliant. Loved the titles as they were a nod to the past too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I will have a little girl fan-gasim if this shows McGann regenerating into Hurt
    So... Did you? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    So... Did you? :D

Still wiping down my seat here in work :D

Is it only me or is it odd to have The Master announce this stuff? It's a plot I tells ya. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    Is it only me or is it odd to have The Master announce this stuff? It's a plot I tells ya. :D

If you read some of the fanfic on the net- no, not odd at all :D

Guys after today I just couldn't be more excited!

Is anyone else going to the Celebrations weekend on the Sunday??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jenda wrote: »
    50th Anniversary plot speculation below
    However, to get around this, I'd love for the last few minutes of the 50th to be John Hurt regenerating, and maybe a swish of a black jacket or something (so we know who it is), and then for it to end on a condensed version of the previously shot footage from series one :)

"Hello Rose Tyler - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

Not sure if this needs spoiler tags, but in case....

Something that just hit me then is that we know
    Hurt has scenes filmed with Billie Piper, so it means the Doctor knew Rose (of sorts) before they meet in Episode One...

Not sure if this needs spoiler tags, but in case....

Something that just hit me then is that we know
    Hurt has scenes filmed with Billie Piper, so it means the Doctor knew Rose (of sorts) before they meet in Episode One...

That's a really good point. Of course the Doctor wouldn't be above lying to her about that the first time she remembers meeting him...

• Advertisement

That's a really good point. Of course the Doctor wouldn't be above lying to her about that the first time she remembers meeting him...
    There's definitely memory distortion stuff going on as well though - it could mean he leaves this without knowing about her subsequently.

Advertisement