Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Does this mean in Season 8 we could now see:

The Nightmare Child

The Would Be King, and his army of neverweres

((Was I the only one, that thought the Weeping Angels were under the cloths??)) ((Pretty sure that was the 'Blink' song))

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I'm looking forward to Capaldi coming in now. All the possible Galifrey/Time Lord stories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

jelly-babies-lineup.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Outstanding. I usually avoid 3D stuff but I'm really glad I saw this one in the cinema, the 3D was done really well. The bit with Strax at the start telling us to turn off phones and stay quiet was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Jaysus, the afterparty has taken a ****ing turn off a cliff XD

Was watching it, looked great at first, but then they went 'live' to the 1D
    unce, in case Niall's fans are watching :P
    Party in LA, went horribly wrong, with the 10s time delay & the echoes that came :o i'd say a lot of people turned off by then!

Even in the section where past cast members couldnt make it, not even then could Eccleston muster up a 'Sorry, couldnt make it'
    Anyone see the clip on the afterparty of Peter Davidson's "The Five(ish) Doctors"?

Looks awesome and will be online in 5 minutes.

Press the red button on the sky remote, just watching it now its hilarious
    Doctors 4 Justice, inc RTD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

C*****************************NTS!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm looking forward to Capaldi coming in now. All the possible Galifrey/Time Lord stories!

Well there's the thing; if the Time Lords are brought back I think it's highly unlikely they'll return as the stuffy, bureaucratic observers they were. The time war made it clear they had sullied their reputation and The End of Time (spit) showed they had become megalomaniac nutjobs. I foresee a future story-arc already & it'd be a neat throwback to the original concept of the Doctor; that he was on the run from the Time Lords, albeit this time because they were aggressive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The only major thing I had an issue with was
    the fact that it appeared that the Doc's Tardisesssss was/were the only one left. Surely they being "timelords" and all that had Tardisesssss aplenty? Where were all the other ones? Stuck on holiday in Benidorm? Only recently we had the scene where our hero nicks one of many from a garage for dodgy ones. That presumes a load more non dodgy ones, later more advanced ones flitting about?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Imagine using that pic as an image with your projection alarm in the morning :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was a small bit awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wibbs wrote: »
    The only major thing I had an issue with was
    the fact that it appeared that the Doc's Tardisesssss was/were the only one left. Surely they being "timelords" and all that had Tardisesssss aplenty? Where were all the other ones? Stuck on holiday in Benidorm? Only recently we had the scene where our hero nicks one of many from a garage for dodgy ones. That presumes a load more non dodgy ones, later more advanced ones flitting about?

I think we should dispense with the spoiler-text considering the episode had a simultaneous release. Anyone who hasn't watched it yet should absolutely not be on this thread! Just until the admins change the title though:
    Considering the daleks had Gallifrey utterly encircled, I think it's fair to suggest the Time Lords were on the verge of losing the war and being wiped out. If so, then I imagine the power they could wield using the TARDISes was probably spent and for all we know they had all been destroyed. The Doctor's own looked like it was on its last legs... Considering one of the generals said they had emptied the Omega archives of its forbidden weapons, they were clearly desperate for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That was absolutely superb!

Decided at the last minute to pay a visit to the cinema to watch it, and met T-Bird while I was there. Said to him I honestly thought the screen would be empty but it was probably 3/4 full. Not a whole lot of cosplay, but a few kids dressed up and spotted a girl wearing a fez.

There was some one or two serious fans of Ecclestone in there as any allusion to him or shot of him would result in a cheers on one side of the screen.. was never really a huge fan of Ecclestone to be fair.

But while we're on the topic - I had completely forgotten how amazing David Tennant was.. he slipped back into that role so comfortably. The scenes with him and Matt Smith were a highlight.. very funny and great chemistry between the two.

And let's not forgot John Hurt who really was just amazing. Troubled, stern and hard-faced but brilliant!

Billie Piper's appearance interesting.. but didn't leave much of an impression tbh.

I had high expectations for the episode and they were exceeded... in Moff we trust!

And Capaldi's fleeting appearance was great.. I had a feeling they would at least allude to it but it was a great moment.

Roll on Christmas.. will be sad to see the back of Matt Smith but Capaldi will be great I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"GERONIMO!"
    "ALLONS-Y!"
    "GALLIFREY STANDS!"
    "FUKITY-BYE!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chairman of the Governors: I. Chesterton
    Headmaster: W. Coburn.

vGkDyQL.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

A hint to the christmas episode too. Clara has to go to the black room for the "first time"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    So am I the only one that is looking forward to both the 50th episode tomorrow and the premiere of season 4 of My Little Pony just a few hours later...
    Not just you. Today has been a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Everyone who was in screen 8 in the Eye, thank you. Best Experience Ever.

Ok, I ... acquired ... the episode and skipped right to the end and Tom Baker's cameo. That voice. The twinkle in the eye. The mannerisms. The tics such as when he starts a sentence with that rumbling 'ohhhh...'. Absolutely marvellous. He's as mad as a bag of snakes but damnit the man was glorious.

And you know what? Most of Baker's stories made little sense and had plotholes wide enough to park a truck in, an argument made by most of Moffat's detractors. But it's Baker's force of personality that stays in the memory, making those old stories so cherished and I think in time the same will be said of Smith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

to answer the questions on the *end of time* conflict.

Essentially the events of the end of time is the linking of the *final* moments of galifry with the master. Which means those events pretty much run parallel to the initial segments of this episode. So the throwaway line at the start of the episode is the point where galifry links to the master and that link barely lasts a moment and the timelords are sent back to that point to *then* be hidden away at time.

Which means Yes this opens it up for the Master etc to all return to the series directly once galifry is freed.

Some further thoughts one thing I actually preferred about the end of time over this one is simply that the timelords were shown to be as potentially evil and corrupt as the daleks and this one kind of whitewashes the time lords side of the conflict.

In fact the issue of *saving galifrey* is that it goes against the reasoning previously stated as to why the doctor did what he did. Both sides had been consumed by war. Not just the daleks and the doctor was forced to end it wholly, not just defeat the daleks.

Also this change might explain why we suddenly have the daleks back as an empire at the start of the last season perhaps?

I did enjoy the special, I just found the Paul McGann special really got me excited for something different.

Also did everyone get the same pre-special 3D and cinema etiquette messages?

to answer the questions on the *end of time* conflict.

Essentially the events of the end of time is the linking of the *final* moments of galifry with the master. Which means those events pretty much run parallel to the initial segments of this episode. So the throwaway line at the start of the episode is the point where galifry links to the master and that link barely lasts a moment and the timelords are sent back to that point to *then* be hidden away at time.

Which means Yes this opens it up for the Master etc to all return to the series directly once galifry is freed.

Some further thoughts one thing I actually preferred about the end of time over this one is simply that the timelords were shown to be as potentially evil and corrupt as the daleks and this one kind of whitewashes the time lords side of the conflict.

In fact the issue of *saving galifrey* is that it goes against the reasoning previously stated as to why the doctor did what he did. Both sides had been consumed by war. Not just the daleks and the doctor was forced to end it wholly, not just defeat the daleks.

Also this change might explain why we suddenly have the daleks back as an empire at the start of the last season perhaps?

I did enjoy the special, I just found the Paul McGann special really got me excited for something different.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

We did in Carlow It got everyone in the mood very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,011 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh.. oh.. oh..

.. I loved the fact they used the old titles!

If anyone is Holland and has Netflix I am told it just went up on it now. If you want to see it.

-I never forget a face.
    -I know you don't. And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few. Just the old favourites of course.

Has Tom Baker played two Doctors? Fourth and now a far future version?

-I never forget a face.
    -I know you don't. And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few. Just the old favourites of course.

Has Tom Baker played two Doctors? Fourth and now a far future version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

"Oh look, the round things"
    "I love the round things"
    "What do they do?"
    "No idea"

:)

The way Tennent and Smith sparked off each other was amazing!

And oh my god...
    Tom Baker!

I loved the scene where the 3 Docs were figuring out how to bust out of the dungeon

Doc: "I'll tell you what boys; we are incredibly clever."
    *Clara opens the door*
    Doc: "How did you do that?"
    Clara: "It was unlocked"
    :D

• Advertisement

Oh and I know this is nitpicking...

but the daleks all shooting each other cause galifrey disapears...It is a tad cartoonish way to remove the problem.

Advertisement