Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

It says Irish Young Fantasy author Eoin Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

When the concept was first announced, at least where I read the news, it was ebooks written by well-known British children’s fiction authors. Could possibly have been misreporting at the time, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm guessing that with the scheduling of the series these days, the 50th anniversary special/s may serve as the first 'half' of series 8, with the rest
    making broadcast in Spring 2014.

Is anyone waging a bet on a regeneration come November? Or, am I taking the 'Fall of the Eleventh' stuff far too literally? I mean, it would be fitting to end the 50th anniversary of the show with the very concept that's ensured its longevity in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'm guessing that with the scheduling of the series these days, the 50th anniversary special/s may serve as the first 'half' of series 8, with the rest

The undisclosed amount of 50th anniversary episodes (though perhaps just one atum special) are not Series 8 which I don't think has been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Is anyone waging a bet on a regeneration come November? Or, am I taking the 'Fall of the Eleventh' stuff far too literally? I mean, it would be fitting to end the 50th anniversary of the show with the very concept that's ensured its longevity in the first place.

Would be a good way to end it in terms of summing up the show's history. But I personally think Matt has a few more years in him (as the Doctor I mean) - seems like no length since he came in.

Have to say I'd genuinely be sad to see him go, Tennant was the first regeneration I viewed on its first showing (watched Ecclestons' as a re-run, having got in the show around season 4) so I looked forward to that (not that I didn't like Tennant, I did).

But with Matt, I really don't want him to go.

Having said that, I thought that regeneration would be too obvious a meaning behind 'The Fall of the Eleventh'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cyndaquil wrote: »
    Would be a good way to end it in terms of summing up the show's history. But I personally think Matt has a few more years in him (as the Doctor I mean) - seems like no length since he came in.

Have to say I'd genuinely be sad to see him go, Tennant was the first regeneration I viewed on its first showing (watched Ecclestons' as a re-run, having got in the show around season 4) so I looked forward to that (not that I didn't like Tennant, I did).

But with Matt, I really don't want him to go.

Having said that, I thought that regeneration would be too obvious a meaning behind 'The Fall of the Eleventh'.

I figured it may be too literal of an interpretation, but considering Moffat's, and RTD's before it, run of baiting and switching, I imagine it'd count as a swerve if a prophecy finally came at face value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No indication if this will also get a 2D showing, but for those of us who hate the 3D fad, I hope so. Can't say this news excites me - the money could have been better spent on a 2-parter story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/A-New-Dimension-for-Doctor-Whos-Fiftieth-Anniversary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I like 3D but think this is stupid. I just want a well written story for the anniversary. I don't care about 3D or anything like that. As you said the money could have been better used.

Reece Shearsmith is to play Patrick Troughton

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a459512/reece-shearsmith-to-play-patrick-troughton-in-doctor-who-50th-biopic.html

You have to wonder will he and David Bradley just be playing the roles in An Adventure In Space And Time or perhaps in the 50th special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

from the above link it appears that the Tardis console now looks like the original Tardis console. Coming full circle ?

Maybe the doctor really is the Other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I'm not entirely sure if this belongs here or elsewhere on the forum but second Dr cast in BBC movie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Until anything concrete is announced about the anniversary celebrations (I imagine around the end of series 7), this is as good a thread as any to post info.

It would be very meta if Bradley & Sheasmith ended up playing both the actors & the actual characters, in separate productions hehe :)

The documentary is apparently due to have an actor playing Jon Pertwee aswell recreating The Three Doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Matt Smith was on Jonathan Ross tonight and he gave "Paintings" as a clue to the 50th anniversary special. He said it would make sense after you see the episode.

Coldzone wrote: »
    Matt Smith was on Jonathan Ross tonight and he gave "Paintings" as a clue to the 50th anniversary special. He said it would make sense after you see the episode.

Paintings of Older Doctors communicating with the new Doctor ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Paintings of Older Doctors communicating with the new Doctor ?

Harry Potter style? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Vincent Van Gogh must be back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

So only the current Doctor is confirmed to be in to.
    I take it they do not have to get sign-off from any of the previous actors to use already filmed footage even if it was not used in an episode already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tennant, Piper & John Hurt confirmed
    David Tennant and Billie Piper to return for blockbuster celebrations with John Hurt also confirmed.

The BBC has today revealed some of the all-star cast that will mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. David Tennant and Billie Piper will join current Doctor and companion, Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, while John Hurt (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Alien, Harry Potter) will also co-star.

Last seen as the Doctor on January 1st 2010, this will be the first time Tennant has reprised his role as the Tenth Doctor. During his reign as the Time Lord, Tennant appeared in three series as well as several specials. He was first revealed as the Doctor in the 2005 series finale, ‘The Parting of the Ways’.

Meanwhile Billie Piper, who played companion Rose Tyler for two series following the reboot in 2005, will appear in the show for the first time since featuring in Tennant’s last episode, ‘The End of Time’ in 2010.

Also confirmed to join the cast is John Hurt who will also co-star in the 3D anniversary special that will form part of blockbuster celebrations, set to take over the BBC. Produced by BBC Cymru Wales for BBC One, the 50th anniversary will be written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Nick Hurran.

Filming for the 50th anniversary starts this week. Meanwhile a brand new series starts on BBC ONE today (30 March) at 6:15pm for a run of eight epic episodes, which officially introduces the Doctor’s newest companion, Clara Oswald, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/DOCTOR-WHO-ANNOUNCES-ALL-STAR-CAST-FOR-50th-ANNIVERSARY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Oh bloody Rose..

Chinpool wrote: »
    If Piper's returning, then one guess might be that Tennant will play the one-hearted human clone last seen stuck with Rose in that alternate dimension.

I wonder who else may yet be announced...

Well thats bloody ruined now with the god awful Rose.

What's wrong with rose :o

Pixel I'd say you're right, he'll be the clone one!

bluewolf wrote: »

Pixel I'd say you're right, he'll be the clone one!

Rose was interesting at first, but from series 2 onwards she became a sort of clingy, possessive, jealous if not plain obnoxious girlfriend & it just descended from there. Her entire plot arc also made her come across as a little selfish; she pretty much got her family back (after nearly destroying the universe the first time) & a life of luxury, yet she still wanted the doctor all to herself.

That said, meeting 11 could make for an interesting / awkward reunion; he's not exactly the dashing rogue she knew and he's now married to someone a bit more of an equal than Rose ever was.. Shame Amy isn't about, I could easily see her giving rose short shrift.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ditto. Never really caught the anti Rose stuff TBH. On the other hand though I dug Rory(and his dad :)), Amy I could never warm to and River song really passed me by. Go figure. :D

But yea like Pixel said sounds like the clone other dimensional Doc alright(I think I mused before that's one way he could do a guest appearance as there wouldn't be a timeline issue and such). "Living a life day after day" etc You never know maybe him and Rose split up in the interim. Or they've six kids. :eek: If it is the clone chap, it could make for some interesting backstory, what does an ex timelord with the knowledge and memories of a thousand years do in suburbia with a wife and kids, with only the odd day in their version of Torchwood/UNIT office to distract him? Though maybe he was growing a Tardis and it went all Pete Tong and that's how they meet. Inter dimensional apocalypse oops moment. Maybe throw in the voices of the other incarnations that get roused from their respective timelines because of it. Badda bing, all the ducks lined up. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Oh bloody Rose..
    And her teeth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I don't dislike Rose so much as her story has been completely done to death. Moffat says he doesn't like bringing people back without reason but I can not see any conceivable reason to being Rose back. Ten going to tell her about her great year to come was too much never mind bringing her back for this. A year or so ago I'd have trusted Moffat to have good reason but I feel he's lost perspective now and buys into his own hype. I'm starting to fear for Sherlock...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moffat says he doesn't like bringing people back without reason but I can not see any conceivable reason to being Rose back.
    Maybe he has a reason? Though I'd reckon it's for much more prosaic reasons KB. If they're looking for past doctors to come back, the older ones are well... older or sadly passed away, Ecclestone probably wouldn't do it anyway, so Tennant is the obvious choice. Plus he's still crazily popular. I saw some poll or other in my e travels as to who would people like to be the next Doc after Matt hangs up the screwdriver and Tennant came second. Plus there's the handy plot device that he's another current "Doctor" stuck in another universe.

Rose? She comes along for the ride as it were :) And again she is crazily popular. Whovians might not like her much if at all, but in the wider world audience of those just sitting on the sofa of a Saturday night wanting a bit of Dr Who fun she's very popular. I'd reckon if you asked the "man on the street" non clued in fan to name one of the reboot assistants she'd get the nod by a comfortable margin.

You see this in other areas too. EG the Daleks. Whovians again tend to be so so on them and could live without seeing them for a while, but ask the man in the street to name the Docs enemies and they'd be easily top of the list.

So yea, easy plot device, availability of actors and wider popularity and Tennant and Piper are obvious choices.

Personally while I generally liked Rose and preferred her to a couple who came after(TBH I couldn't stand Martha), I'd agree that story is real thin at this stage. Especially after the last Tennant episode. That whole thing was cringy in the extreme and her showing up at the end really did my head in. I actually missed the "I don't wanna go" bit as I had changed channel and the remote had survived Tennant free falling a couple of hundred feet through a glass ceiling and landing on solid marble. Less killed Tom Bakers Doc Grrr :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'm I the one one who thinks both Roses and Gwens smiles are really cute?
    Ginny wrote: »
    And her teeth....

Advertisement