Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I haven't been able to spell or form sentences for the past week, but I get to blame a non-sleeping newborn. :D
    Mine is at 8 weeks tomorrow, he watched his first Who episode yesterday with my wife, who is not a fan, she described it as silly but throughly enjoyable, he smiled and laughed (it is awesome when they start in response to stuff other than randomly) the whole way through. Looking for a Who babygro for christmas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

K-9 wrote: »
    The Hobbit is a bit like LOTR's that way, filming is largely done in a tranche, I'd say even if they were still filming, no problem, loved Jackson appearing in it.
    He's a huge fan, talk of him directing an episode.
    McCoy being available was a nod to the 5ish Doctors special (if you saw it you probably got it!) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mine is at 8 weeks tomorrow, he watched his first Who episode yesterday with my wife, who is not a fan, she described it as silly but throughly enjoyable, he smiled and laughed (it is awesome when they start in response to stuff other than randomly) the whole way through. Looking for a Who babygro for christmas.

Wait till you get a 15 year old pointing how stuff K-9 thought was just, well, dumb!
    ixoy wrote:
    McCoy being available was a nod to the 5ish Doctors special (if you saw it you probably got it!) tongue.png

Watched the special for the first time tonight, loads to sink in. Delightful stuff, Robert Altman wouldn't get in so many cameos.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Birthday snap. Mine's 8 weeks tomorrow too!

I've already indoctrinated his older brother, so it should be a cinch this time. James' favourite part? "When all 13 Doctors were together with their different faces. That was cooooool!"

Too flaming right.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

I asked this last night but spoilered out the whole thing in case some hadn't seen the ep at that point, I'll assume that everyone here has seen the ep now:

Has anyone any idea how all the Doctors knew the plan to capture the planet? I think 11 even said something like "you might say I've been planning for this all my lives".

Agreed! This was the one big thing I questioned as well! Anyone have any ideas/solutions? If the plan only started with John Hurt, how was everyone there from William Hartnell onwards??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Be careful where you pick up the Christmas tree, if you notice it spinning around like a drill then basically, run ;)

Am delighted that your family enjoyed the show, as it should be.

Found this, hope it's of use to ya :D

http://www.geekbabyclothes.com/dr-who/handmade-tardis-baby-creeper/

handmade-tardis-baby-grow-outfit.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

OU812 wrote: »
    Didn't like the 13th doctor's cameo as he doesn't exist yet, (also not sure if I like him as a doctor, can't warm to him at all).

But we haven't actually seen the character yet (not including the cameo of his eyes) so you haven't had a chance to warm to him. You can't judge a future character on the actors previous work since they are different characters. As much as fans want it no-one is actually expecting Capaldi's Doctor to have ****ity-bye as a catchphrase because the 13th Doctor is not Malcolm Tucker but a whole new completely different character we know practically nothing about.

Can't judge the actor's personality on his previous characters either since he's acting so don't really know what you're basing your opinion on.

As for cameos there would be no point shoving characters in for no reason. It would be sloppy and overcrowded and make for a lousy episode. Character cameos only truly work when it makes sense for the character to be there. I was really hoping for Susan (the Doctor's granddaughter) to somehow make an appearance but there was no way for her to be in it that made sense so it was better she wasn't (although the photos of her and other past companions in the Black Archive made me very happy).

As for Rose and Ten, I feel we've had more moments between them than necessary so glad they didn't interact (just how I feel though).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know this has probably been answered but the Bad Wolf bit I thought was great. Is it saying that when Rose killed the Darleks in the episode when she consumed the vortex that it was the Moment she had taken on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Agreed! This was the one big thing I questioned as well! Anyone have any ideas/solutions? If the plan only started with John Hurt, how was everyone there from William Hartnell onwards??
    I still say it is the Moment, it managed to pull the other two to show Hurts the future withour much of a stretch, Hurt and Tenant forget when it is done, so do the others. They explain the future to the past doctors, they agree given the situation, they return and forget. Simples.

• Advertisement

I know this has probably been answered but the Bad Wolf bit I thought was great. Is it saying that when Rose killed the Darleks in the episode when she consumed the vortex that it was the Moment she had taken on

Not sure, I think she also said that she could see all time and space, so it's likely that her interaction in this episode was likely just one aspect of time that she was "seeing" at the time.

Also, and it may be a daft theory, but I think that in the episode the Doctors' Wife the embodiment of the Tardis said she often confuses the future and the past (not certain on this as I've not watched it in a while but it seems to have stuck in the back of me loaf).

The conscience of the weapon said the same thing, am wondering if they're one and the same or possibly is this a general design feature to Gallifrey tech as they're both from the same place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But we haven't actually seen the character yet (not including the cameo of his eyes) so you haven't had a chance to warm to him. You can't judge a future character on the actors previous work since they are different characters. As much as fans want it no-one is actually expecting Capaldi's Doctor to have ****ity-bye as a catchphrase because the 13th Doctor is not Malcolm Tucker but a whole new completely different character we know practically nothing about.

Can't judge the actor's personality on his previous characters either since he's acting so don't really know what you're basing your opinion on.

As for cameos there would be no point shoving characters in for no reason. It would be sloppy and overcrowded and make for a lousy episode. Character cameos only truly work when it makes sense for the character to be there. I was really hoping for Susan (the Doctor's granddaughter) to somehow make an appearance but there was no way for her to be in it that made sense so it was better she wasn't (although the photos of her and other past companions in the Black Archive made me very happy).

As for Rose and Ten, I feel we've had more moments between them than necessary so glad they didn't interact (just how I feel though).

I didn't get the whoops over Capaldi either, loved the angry eyes though, plus I think John Hurt tied in nicely on what will be an older doctor.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

ixoy wrote: »
    Just watched the 5ish Doctors. Excellent stuff and especially good fun for those of us who've watched the original series. Loved the touch of the original '70s music when the actors were outside.

Anyone know how McCoy got the time - I mean he's staring in the Hobbit, directed by Oscar-winner Peter Jackson!

The very final scene, in the credits, really sold it for me. Davision and Moffat - you clever clever boys.

He must have said i'll swing something your way of a Dalek as Peter Jackson has said he'd want one as payment if he ever got to direct an ep, as he's a big fan
    I still say it is the Moment, it managed to pull the other two to show Hurts the future withour much of a stretch, Hurt and Tenant forget when it is done, so do the others. They explain the future to the past doctors, they agree given the situation, they return and forget. Simples.

This almost sounded like a Christmas special, Did anyone else think that The Moment reminded me of The Ghost of Christmas Past reminding Hurt of what could happen in the future along with the Doctor who forgets & the Doctor who regrets (Smith&Tennant) ;)
    Although i did catch last year's xmas special this morn on Watch, may have put that idea into my head, while eating custard & weetabix :D
    Chairman of the Governors: I. Chesterton
    Headmaster: W. Coburn.

vGkDyQL.png

After watching the ep again today, it probably answered a few things & some yet to materialise, inc i happen to notice the signpost at the corner of the school above was 76 Totters Lane, as i remember it from Thurs nite of An Unearthly Child was the same address used then & i'd imagine if you watch it again any excuse you'll find more nuggets like that.

So when i did watch it again, to remember how good Tennant was & to see him bounce off Matt Smith was marvellous, to watch the three Doctors strutting their stuff in slow motion out from the painting & to the point of 'All 13' was pronounced, that i almost shed a tear knowing something wonderful had been set up, although i'll not look at Cup-a-Soups the same way again. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I liked that the clock outside the school showed 5:15 which IIRC was the original air-time of An Unearthly Child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have to admit, John Hurt took to the role marvellously. Almost as if he had played the Doctor in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Geronimo! Allons-y!

OHHH FOR GOD SAKE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I read a review that suggested Ten and Eleven were so infantilised because they couldn't cope with growing up so to speak. They're last 'grown-up' incarnation had destroyed Gallifrey and they were afraid of becoming that sort of person again. Thought it was an interesting take on things. Also fits in nicely with Capaldi being older (of course his personality could still be young).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also loved Hurt's "wearing a bit thin" comment as he regenerates: a nod to the First Doctor's last words (which was also an "age" related regeneration)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its highly unlikely that John Hurt would record more TV work as the War Doctor but I'm hoping that when the BBC/Big Finish license is renewed he along with other new who doctors and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭8mv

Nice episode with some clever and funny touches. I'll leave it to the experts to decide if it all made sense in a Whovian universe. One quick question..where did this all happen in 10's timescale? I'm assuming after Donna?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

8mv wrote: »
    Nice episode with some clever and funny touches. I'll leave it to the experts to decide if it all made sense in a Whovian universe. One quick question..where did this all happen in 10's timescale? I'm assuming after Donna?

After "Waters Of Mars" before "The End Of Time"

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

One thing I don't get is how did John Hurt age? In the Night of the Doctor it shows McGann regenerating into a young John Hurt, But he's aged considerably in DOTD.

The war already started when he regenerates so how long was the gap from that till DOTD. Because they haven't aged Matt Smith and he's been around for 400 years, even more because he said he lies about his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

One thing I don't get is how did John Hurt age? In the Night of the Doctor it shows McGann regenerating into a young John Hurt, But he's aged considerably in DOTD.

The war already started when he regenerates so how long was the gap from that till DOTD. Because they haven't aged Matt Smith and he's been around for 400 years, even more because he said he lies about his age.

In an Unseen adventure the War Doctor appearance was excelerated after attempting to stop The Daleks using some weapon or something like that I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You know, I'm surprised the line about 'What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes wasn't thrown in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I took that line as meaning in later regenerations he'll take on new version of old faces (explaining why Tom looked older than he ever was as the Doctor). But then that would possibly require Tom to come back at some point depending how long the show lasts so who knows. You never can tell with Moffat. I think Eccleston is among a lot of peoples favourites. He's one of mine.

If you pardon the pun, on the face of it I think that's what the line did mean, that in future regenerations the Doctor might take on new, aged, versions of old faces. However, the way it was said could also be read as a subtle dig that some faces won't be seen again, as they're not favourites. And I didn't mean Fan favourites (I think he was a very good Doctor!), more that he might not be a favourite of the Producers / BBC.

Of course, I'm reading into it a *lot* :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Good episode that was raised to the heights of greatess in its last 10 minutes. Hurt (Looks at Tennant and Smith: "Am I having a mid life crisis?") acted the other two off the screen, Baker stole the show and the whole QEI stuff was horrible -- Joanna Page has lost the ability to act methinks.
    Preferred to have the Doctor(s) responsible for the obliteration of Gallifrey as it made him edgy but like the idea of freezing the planet in time. Sort of Poetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

seanie27 wrote: »
    Preferred to have the Doctor(s) responsible for the obliteration of Gallifrey as it made him edgy but like the idea of freezing the planet in time. Sort of Poetic.

I dunno, why must we Dark Knight all our heroes? I was ok'ish with the idea of the doctor suffering from survivors guilt; the last of his race, it was understandable he would feel a range of emotions that might make him a broader character. I was never 100% thiugh about the idea he might have pulled the trigger; that took it too far and smacked of the Cartmel Masterplan, excessively sullying the character. Besides, the "Lonely God" routine was getting too angsty by half imo...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Got to agree with Pixel bee. The time war was a good arc, it kept the series going for years, but as in all things, it's time for that part of Doctor Who to change. Angsty Who was going to get real old. Time for a change, either way. It was just an arc out of hundreds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Got to agree with Pixel bee. The time war was a good arc, it kept the series going for years, but as in all things, it's time for that part of Doctor Who to change. Angsty Who was going to get real old. Time for a change, either way. It was just an arc out of hundreds.
    Agreed with this. Hell, I stuck through loads of the dark Doctor in the books and then again, years later, on TV.
    Let's bring him back a little to a more hopeful bumbling adventurer. hat's what the great outcome here is: the Doctor has that seed of hope again. He can make something from the ruins of Gallifrey. Remove that burden and I think we'll see Capraldi as a Doctor more free of his burdens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have watched it about three times now. Even with all the great moments in it, and even with all the old versions of the Doctor helping to save Gallifrey, the bit which gives me the most chills is Capaldi's appearance. It's pure genius. Yes, it's fan service more than anything else, but it is just so well done.

Advertisement