Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Penn wrote: »
    Have watched it about three times now. Even with all the great moments in it, and even with all the old versions of the Doctor helping to save Gallifrey, the bit which gives me the most chills is Capaldi's appearance. It's pure genius. Yes, it's fan service more than anything else, but it is just so well done.

No sir... all THIRTEEN!

*pensive stare*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Achilles wrote: »
    No sir... all THIRTEEN!

*pensive stare*

282002.png

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

ixoy wrote: »
    Agreed with this. Hell, I stuck through loads of the dark Doctor in the books and then again, years later, on TV.
    Let's bring him back a little to a more hopeful bumbling adventurer. hat's what the great outcome here is: the Doctor has that seed of hope again. He can make something from the ruins of Gallifrey. Remove that burden and I think we'll see Capraldi as a Doctor more free of his burdens.

Sounds like Matt Smith's doctor to me. I don't want to Dark Knight him as someone mentioned and there's no need for him to whine and moan constantly about it just have it as something he has to carry. Just because this is essentially a kids programme that adults can also watch must he be so wishy washy?
    Having said all that I do like that Moffat has repositioned the series with that episode. And really looking forward to Capaldi. I've had enough of exuberant youth. Now for some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No sir... all THIRTEEN!

*pensive stare*

I don't know why, but it just felt like "12 Doctors... Will that be enough?.... Oh, the 13th Doctor is here, now they'll definitely be able to do it!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As Steven Moffat has said this a kid's show in name only. If you hear the intro theme and don't start getting a ll giddy like a child then you've rather missed the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

As Steven Moffat has said this a kid's show in name only. If you hear the intro theme and don't start getting a ll giddy like a child then you've rather missed the point.

Well let's say it's a family show. It's about enjoying it, judging each episode on its merits and not regressing you back to five (though I'm sure at some subconcious level when the theme tune hits in that could happen). It's still a kids show but it's cleverly enough written to appeal to the adults. Unless it's my wife who thinks it's complete childish,preposterous twaddle and hasn't been good good since Tom Baker left.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Penn wrote: »
    I don't know why, but it just felt like "12 Doctors... Will that be enough?.... Oh, the 13th Doctor is here, now they'll definitely be able to do it!" :D
    Well, 13 has always been rather a key number in mythology and fantasy...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, 13 has always been rather a key number in mythology and fantasy...

Id say that was more a key factor in the number being chosen originally, rather than why it was used right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Master wrote: »
    282002.png

Found a gif of it:
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-30730-1385398863-7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

The Master wrote: »
    After "Waters Of Mars" before "The End Of Time"

Confused though (timely wimey?) What is / was the time lock on the time war if not being frozen in a moment of time. I always gotvthe impression that they were stuck at that last point (albeit one that ends with a dalek fleet falling on them)

And surely all the horrors of the time war should still be out there now? Unless they weren't previously because the doctor actually used the moment previously but future doctor changed things so they only think they did ( in which case the horrors only come back post the change) :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

tritium wrote: »
    Confused though (timely wimey?) What is / was the time lock on the time war if not being frozen in a moment of time. I always gotvthe impression that they were stuck at that last point (albeit one that ends with a dalek fleet falling on them)

And surely all the horrors of the time war should still be out there now? Unless they weren't previously because the doctor actually used the moment previously but future doctor changed things so they only think they did ( in which case the horrors only come back post the change) :)

Well, I kinda think Moffat was intending that the reason we see the time lords at all in the end of time is that the Doctor succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well, I kinda think Moffat was intending that the reason we see the time lords at all in the end of time is that the Doctor succeeded.

I was thinking this too.

It's now reasonable to believe that the Doctor always did manage to simply lock out the Timelords instead of killing them, but the Doctor may not have realised that this was the case and thought they came from before he killed them all.

Moffat is a far better story-teller than RTD was, who suffered a bit with his over-the-topness.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

One thing I don't get is how did John Hurt age? In the Night of the Doctor it shows McGann regenerating into a young John Hurt, But he's aged considerably in DOTD.

The war already started when he regenerates so how long was the gap from that till DOTD. Because they haven't aged Matt Smith and he's been around for 400 years, even more because he said he lies about his age.
    McLoughlin wrote: »
    In an Unseen adventure the War Doctor appearance was excelerated after attempting to stop The Daleks using some weapon or something like that I guess

Doctor Who Monthly may have the answer.
    Fan:
    How could Melody grow up at the same rate as Amy and Rory, if she regenerated into that body in 1970? Is it something to do with Time Lord ageing systems, or did somebody slip her a vortex manipulator?

Steven Moffat:
    Well, in that episode [Let's Kill Hitler], River remarks of her new regeneration that she might want to take the age down a bit "just gradually, to freak people out." Most people thought that was to account for Alex ageing in the role, but since she gets younger every year, that's clearly unnecessary. No, really, it was to let you know that Time Lords can control their own ageing, to a degree. You will note, that the Doctors have had good manners to age in sync with their companions. No, really, go back and look--the work we've put into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

BBC America's Anglophenia hit on a brilliant point that somewhat salvages 10's last words (or, well, yes, now 11, or 10, discounting War Doctor) with the 'I don't want to go'.
    Aside from being a cute nod to what would become the Tenth Doctor’s last words, we could theorize that they add new meaning to the moment he originally delivered them, back in “The End of Time”. Perhaps, as he tearfully said it, it wasn’t just that he didn’t want to stop being the Tenth, but that he knew that by becoming the Eleventh, he was bringing ever-closer the time when he would have to go to Trenzalore…

Granted, it's a bit of a stretch, and it's a theory that'll need some work to align with the prior Doctors not fully recalling the interaction with their successor, but frankly, it is a joy to have that miserable 'I don't want to go' recontextualized as something less damaging to the long-term Who canon.

When RTD mentioned that he'd 'hand Who over in the condition I got it in' I didn't read it as 'yep, they'll need to be coming from ever-so-slightly behind'.
    I'm an overly outspoken RTD-fanboy, but that one 'I don't want to go' still sits tremendously at odds with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the way, in case anyone's wondering how well the episode did at the cinemas, the UK's BFI released their box office figures for that weekend; there's no way of knowing how much the BBC spent distributing the episode, but you'd think making just under 2 million (for a single weekend release) & finishing #3 in the charts would equate a success all round. Can't see the Irish figures anyway, but you'd imagine it'll be broadly similar.

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (12,189,733)
    2. Gravity (2,389,193)
    3. Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor (1,798,629)
    4. Thor: The Dark World (722,811)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭bren2001

pixelburp wrote: »
    By the way, in case anyone's wondering how well the episode did at the cinemas, the UK's BFI released their box office figures for that weekend; there's no way of knowing how much the BBC spent distributing the episode, but you'd think making just under 2 million (for a single weekend release) & finishing #3 in the charts would equate a success all round. Can't see the Irish figures anyway, but you'd imagine it'll be broadly similar.

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (12,189,733)
    2. Gravity (2,389,193)
    3. Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor (1,798,629)
    4. Thor: The Dark World (722,811)

Not the figures for Ireland and just Odeon but:

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    2. Gravity
    3. Doctor Who: The Day Of The Doctor
    4. Philomena
    5. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs

(Taken from Odeon Facebook page). I would expect a similar ratio of numbers there, excellent to see really.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    BBC America's Anglophenia hit on a brilliant point that somewhat salvages 10's last words (or, well, yes, now 11, or 10, discounting War Doctor) with the 'I don't want to go'.

Granted, it's a bit of a stretch, and it's a theory that'll need some work to align with the prior Doctors not fully recalling the interaction with their successor, but frankly, it is a joy to have that miserable 'I don't want to go' recontextualized as something less damaging to the long-term Who canon.

When RTD mentioned that he'd 'hand Who over in the condition I got it in' I didn't read it as 'yep, they'll need to be coming from ever-so-slightly behind'.
    I'm an overly outspoken RTD-fanboy, but that one 'I don't want to go' still sits tremendously at odds with me.

To be honest that was my first thought after the movie - that it now was actually referring to "i dont want to go to trenzalore"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

AFAIA The Box office charts are usually for UK and Ireland combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wholock123

I don't really get why Ten was slagging eleven over saying Timey Wimey :) in the weeping angels ep with Martha he said wibbley wobbley timey wimey ;-)

Great ep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wholock123 wrote: »
    I don't really get why Ten was slagging eleven over saying Timey Wimey :) in the weeping angels ep with Martha he said wibbley wobbley timey wimey ;-)

Great ep!!

I think that was the joke. He was trying to act cool and blame it on eleven (twelve)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think that was the joke. He was trying to act cool and blame it on eleven (twelve)

I have a strong feeling this new numbering system is going to annoy me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I have a strong feeling this new numbering system is going to annoy me :D

There is no new numbering system its
    8th Doctor Paul Mcgann
    War Doctor
    9th Doctor Christopher Eccleston
    etc etc

Don't know why people are confused about this its like Queen Elizabeth II is the second woman to call herself Queen Elizabeth despite there been what seven queens of England.

Christopher Eccleston the 10th incarnation of the person once known as Theta Sigma but still the 9th to call himself Doctor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well at the end, when they saved Gallifrey, they did say a few times that Hurt could call himself The Doctor again. So IMHO it should now go

9: Hurt
    10: Ecclestone
    11: Tennant
    12: Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

stevenmu wrote: »
    Well at the end, when they saved Gallifrey, they did say a few times that Hurt could call himself The Doctor again. So IMHO it should now go

Hurt said himself that he wouldn't remember the events once he left the 11th Doctors time stream and returned to his own time stream so he won't recall anything so he remains the War Doctor not The Doctor but him accepeting that he could be called The Doctor led to his regeneration into the 9th Doctor once he returned to his own time stream

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

stevenmu wrote: »

Moffat says the old numbering system stands. That's good enough for me.

Ron Burgundy on 'Doctor Who'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxBpQu7SX6Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Ron Burgundy on 'Doctor Who'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxBpQu7SX6Q

showed this in the cinema before the show

allanb49 wrote: »
    showed this in the cinema before the show

Really, didnt see it in VUE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I do not get how Eccelstone can be the next doctor after Hurt. I mean there is a few hundred years between him and Smith. Can Time Lords live a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I do not get how Eccelstone can be the next doctor after Hurt. I mean there is a few hundred years between him and Smith. Can Time Lords live a long time

They can live as long as they want. Can spend 1000's of years in 1 regeneration.

Advertisement