Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I do not get how Eccelstone can be the next doctor after Hurt. I mean there is a few hundred years between him and Smith. Can Time Lords live a long time
    The short answer is yes. I think the earliest mention of his age was the 2nd Doctor, saying he was around 450 years old

The long answer is a massive debate about his real age and how inconsistent it is, so I'll just stick with yes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I do not get how Eccelstone can be the next doctor after Hurt. I mean there is a few hundred years between him and Smith. Can Time Lords live a long time

He's already thousands of years old so yes. As for 11's age there was a gap between series where he spent a lot of time traveling alone so when he met up with Amy and Rory again he had aged a few hundred years (or something along those lines, my memory isn't great).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wholock123

Well if you think about it:
    8- McGann
    9- Hurt
    10- Ecclestone
    11/12- Tennant (regeneration/ meta-crisis)
    13- Smith
    14- Capaldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wholock123 wrote: »
    Well if you think about it:
    8- McGann
    9- Hurt
    10- Ecclestone
    11/12- Tennant (regeneration/ meta-crisis)
    13- Smith
    14- Capaldi

No. Old numbering system still stands :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Daemos wrote: »
    The short answer is yes. I think the earliest mention of his age was the 2nd Doctor, saying he was around 450 years old

The long answer is a massive debate about his real age and how inconsistent it is, so I'll just stick with yes :P

The Doctors age was pretty constintent in the classic seriesand 8th Doctor novels just the writers and production messed up in the new series but you can sort of work it out like this

1st Around 200/300 leaves Gallifrey regenerated around 450
    2nd
    3rd Regenerated at 748
    4th Regenerated at 813
    5th
    6th Regenerated at 953
    7th Regenerated at 1009
    8th Regenerated around 1125

After that his age goes back to 900 or something with the 9th and the 11th saying around 1200 or so with War Doctor claiming to be 3 or 4 hundred years younger going back to 900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

They can live as long as they want. Can spend 1000's of years in 1 regeneration.
    Daemos wrote: »

He's already thousands of years old so yes. As for 11's age there was a gap between series where he spent a lot of time traveling alone so when he met up with Amy and Rory again he had aged a few hundred years (or something along those lines, my memory isn't great).
    McLoughlin wrote: »
    The Doctors age was pretty constintent in the classic seriesand 8th Doctor novels just the writers and production messed up in the new series but you can sort of work it out like this

1st Around 200/300 leaves Gallifrey regenerated around 450
    2nd
    3rd Regenerated at 748
    4th Regenerated at 813
    5th
    6th Regenerated at 953
    7th Regenerated at 1009
    8th Regenerated around 1125

After that his age goes back to 900 or something with the 9th and the 11th saying around 1200 or so with War Doctor claiming to be 3 or 4 hundred years younger going back to 900

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Hard post to make but gonna give out a bit. Watching it all these years and ageing with it, but can’t help thinking that they should have let go of trying to "include" the "younger" audience and move on... The stories can be so much better if the writers can be set free to write what they really want instead of thinking of the kids. Time to move on and forget about of the pre concept of the 70s, even Barney has moved on... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Moving on from there I think it would be a bit of good to bring a bit of Harry Callahan to the doctor and make it a > 22:00 showing only... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

T-Bird wrote: »
    Hard post to make but gonna give out a bit. Watching it all these years and ageing with it, but can’t help thinking that they should have let go of trying to "include" the "younger" audience and move on... The stories can be so much better if the writers can be set free to write what they really want instead of thinking of the kids. Time to move on and forget about of the pre concept of the 70s, even Barney has moved on... :P

Who's to say they're not writing what they really want now? Just because you prefer the more grown up themes doesn't mean the writers do. Also I find this a weird complaint to make now since Moffat's era is darker than RTD's usually was. I have several complaints about Moffat's era but too childish isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Alienating the younger audience was the reason why Who lost its way in the '80s, and, indeed, the hangover of that played a big part in why it got canned in '89; its capacity to appeal to the whole family is fundamental to its continued success.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Alienating the younger audience was the reason why Who lost its way in the '80s, and, indeed, the hangover of that played a big part in why it got canned in '89; its capacity to appeal to the whole family is fundamental to its continued success.

Also, the idea of "This programme should always be focused directly at ME" is one of the worst stereotypes of fandom.

I watched the 50th at Eirtakon and I was delighted to see the huge range of ages there. Was also fun regaling some of the younger fans with what it was like to be a fan in the 80's and 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

...fun regaling some of the younger fans with what it was like to be a fan in the 80's and 90's.

Why, back in my day *rattles cane* the sonic screwdriver actually was used as a screwdriver!

The Tardis wiki is a good place to start.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Wiki

Further to this, this website did it's best to cobble together a consensus history of the whoniverse. Note that Gallifrey has a completely seperate site linked in the page itself (because time doesn't make much sense when discussing it).

http://www.whoniverse.net/history/

Sorry for the double post, but I just had a thought.

What is Clara's purpose? To save the Doctor, over and over.

What's the difference between this Moment and when the Moment was used before?

Clara being there and telling the Doctor to wait.

I wonder if that was on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sorry for the double post, but I just had a thought.

What is Clara's purpose? To save the Doctor, over and over.

What's the difference between this Moment and when the Moment was used before?

Clara being there and telling the Doctor to wait.

I wonder if that was on purpose.

Yes, that was pretty much it. She went into his timeline after the Intelligence. I'm not really sure how it all works, it's all very timey-wimey.

The question with the Moment for me isn't so much "what's the difference" but "is there a difference". We had been led to believe that the Doctor had destroyed the Time Lords but in DotD he found a way to save them. Thanks to some very handy memory loss at the end however they all forget that they saved them except Smith who now has to find them, so as far as Hurt, Ecclestone, and Tennent are concerned he destroyed the Time Lords.

I don't know how Clara being there fits in though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wholock123

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yes, that was pretty much it. She went into his timeline after the Intelligence. I'm not really sure how it all works, it's all very timey-wimey.

The question with the Moment for me isn't so much "what's the difference" but "is there a difference". We had been led to believe that the Doctor had destroyed the Time Lords but in DotD he found a way to save them. Thanks to some very handy memory loss at the end however they all forget that they saved them except Smith who now has to find them, so as far as Hurt, Ecclestone, and Tennent are concerned he destroyed the Time Lords.

I don't know how Clara being there fits in though :confused:

Clara saved the doctor in "the name of the doctor" by jumping into his timeline (basically any point in his history where the Great Intelligence had jumped in and changed the doctor's personal history). Then the doctor jumped into his own timeline and saved Clara. Now she's just his companion who hasn't left yet. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When she jumped into his timeline, Clara didn't meet Hurt's Doctor until the end, just as the Doctor rescued her, with the implication presumably being that she was never part of the War Doctor's timeline, until I guess that moment when the three versions crossed paths. Lordy, this timey-wimey gets very confusing.

The Great Intelligence may not have jumped into The Doctors timeline during the time war, since the Doctor was suffering pain and torment during that war as the universe neared collapse.

I figured the War Doctor was sufficiently repressed by the Doctor's memory, to the point that the Great Intelligence couldn't get near him and the Time War; I mean, Clara didn't recognize the War Doctor despite being spread out throughout all of Doc's timeline.

Or, well, basically what Pixelburp said....

I didn't really mean for this to be a big in continuity discussion, I was just pointing out that it's a nice nod that, one more time, Clara is the girl that saves the Doctor, as she always is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'd imagine that they will do something to remove Clara's memory of the Doctor's timeline and that's why she didn't remember the War Doctor. They can't have a situation where Clara remembers everything of the Doctor's past and future, otherwise she'll know everything about Capaldi's Doctor before she even meets him and will be able to advise him in advance of any situation they will encounter. Perhaps the Doctor will do something similar to what Tennant's Doctor did to Donna, to make her forget her memories of being Doctor Donna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I still think that Clara becoms the Tardis at some point in her Past/future timey-wimey-ness

remember when the Tardis became personified and said 'I chose you' and we see Clara nudging hartnell into that same decision.

or how the Tardis always knows where to take the doctor, eve if he has no idea why he's there.

Clara is more composed than Rose was, and she had the benefit of a million lifetimes to spread the energy of thetime vortex out, but ultimatley it will come downto something simmilar where she explodes into a burst of orange light and becomes the heart of the tardis

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I'd imagine that they will do something to remove Clara's memory of the Doctor's timeline and that's why she didn't remember the War Doctor. They can't have a situation where Clara remembers everything of the Doctor's past and future, otherwise she'll know everything about Capaldi's Doctor before she even meets him and will be able to advise him in advance of any situation they will encounter. Perhaps the Doctor will do something similar to what Tennant's Doctor did to Donna, to make her forget her memories of being Doctor Donna?

Clara's remarks in the Doctor's timeline that she saw 'all 11 faces'.

12th/13th Doctor is going to be a different bunch of cucumbers altogether, seemingly, given his absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Fangirling. Fangirling everywhere.

Advertisement