Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Squeeee
    Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho 2m
    The read through has just finished for the #DoctorWho50th Special! pic.twitter.com/Mjj3I889Y2
    BGykc7DCcAAosDh.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

And thus a million slash fics begun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It would have been nice if the BBC put out a April fools pic of all the doctors with 1 - 3 recasted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm looking forward to this TBH :) Very interested to see John Hurt in action in this environment too. Johnnie being a major acting presence and scene chewer. It could turn out to be like bringing a howitzer to a knife fight, even with Mr Tennant in full flow, he may get a shock. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well the BBC have published a tweet, revealing who (one of?) the villains of the 50th Anniversary will be:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/statuses/319100007452135424

Took them long enough to make another story featuring them; 38 years in fact!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

50th anniversary rumoured to be a Moffat-written 90 minute cinema movie shot in 3D.
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/2013/0402/drwho.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Orion wrote: »
    50th anniversary rumoured to be a Moffat-written 90 minute cinema movie shot in 3D.
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/2013/0402/drwho.html

2/3rds of that isn't a rumour - it's already known that Moffat will be penning the special, and it was announced some time back that ti'll be in 3D (in fact I believe it'll get a limited run in UK cinemas too). Apparently the running-time is still unconfirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Bad wording on my part - I meant the part about cinematic release was the rumour. According to that link and a few others online it will be a worldwide cinema release. I assume worldwide means Ireland/UK and the US - can't see it doing well anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Orion wrote: »
    Bad wording on my part - I meant the part about cinematic release was the rumour. According to that link and a few others online it will be a worldwide cinema release. I assume worldwide means Ireland/UK and the US - can't see it doing well anywhere else.
    Has an audience in Australia and New Zealand as well. In fact I reckon it'd do better there then it would here in Ireland.

No Eccleston I'm afraid; the BBC came out and confirmed that he has declined to take part in the anniversary special. A real shame.
    The Beeb wrote:
    Chris met with Steven Moffat a couple of times to talk about Steven's plans for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode. After careful thought, Chris decided not to be in the episode. He wishes the team all the best.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/04/dwn050413130012no-eccleston-in-50th-anniversary-special.html

• Advertisement

A real pity. Tom Baker has said he regrets making a similar choice years ago immensely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Did spot this in PB's link
    "Filming has continued this week, with Gelligaer Common north of Caerphilly playing host to the TARDIS (times two) yesterday". Hmmmm two tardisisissss tardi? If that's the case then that would suggest Tennants Doc isn't the clone one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Wibbs wrote: »
    Did spot this in PB's link
    "Filming has continued this week, with Gelligaer Common north of Caerphilly playing host to the TARDIS (times two) yesterday". Hmmmm two tardisisissss tardi? If that's the case then that would suggest Tennants Doc isn't the clone one.
    There was a deleted scene from Journey's End that saw Doc 10 give Doc 10.2 a bit of TARDIS coral, with a view to 10.2 growing his own. Though, yes, it's deleted; its canonicity is debatable, at best.

Won't embed the video in fear of giving away the goose.

Hmmm, here's a thing, maybe I posted that update about Eccles too soon; seems that nobody official from the BBC has come out to say Yes/No/Atari Jaguar about Eccleston's appearance, that the quote pasted above came from "a source" which in journalism-speak could mean just about anyone in the BBC, from an executive to the janitor really.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well the BBC have published a tweet, revealing who (one of?) the villains of the 50th Anniversary will be:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/statuses/319100007452135424

Took them long enough to make another story featuring them; 38 years in fact!
    Their reappearance nearly coincides with BBC finally pulling the finger out and releasing 'Terror of the Zygons' on DVD. It's due out of September 30th
    this year. About bloody time.
    Hmmm, here's a thing, maybe I posted that update about Eccles too soon; seems that nobody official from the BBC has come out to say Yes/No/Atari Jaguar about Eccleston's appearance, that the quote pasted above came from "a source" which in journalism-speak could mean just about anyone in the BBC, from an executive to the janitor really.

Awesome, I've more more false hope to torture myself with:

FYq7M.gif%20

That's seriously bad reporting in the above if so- they say it came from a spokesman from the BBC!

17928_10152733862720389_12743359_n.jpg
    May be reading too far into it, but wasn't the human 10th Doctor rocking a blue suit? I mean, it's ridiculous to think he could've changed his clothes in the whole time he was fighting evil in another universe, no? I honestly don't even know what logic there is for me using spoiler-tags anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

From the Reddit thread it seem this it 10's TARDIS not 11's.

ivSkEqZ.jpg

Is1Hks2.jpg
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    May be reading too far into it, but wasn't the human 10th Doctor rocking a blue suit? I mean, it's ridiculous to think he could've changed his clothes in the whole time he was fighting evil in another universe, no? I honestly don't even know what logic there is for me using spoiler-tags anymore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Definitely the older Tardis.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

If it is metacrisis 10 surely you'd have to accept he grew his own TARDIS. In that case why would it be appearing as a phone box the chameleon circuit wouldn't be broken. I'm thinking maybe it's real 10!!! I'm really not sure why this is in spoilers but the other thing was so figured I'd continue on. Also reposting the picture just because it makes me all tingly!

• Advertisement

Looks like the normal Doc #10 to me, plus it's his TARDIS by the looks of things; bringing back that alternate-universe clone would be too messy, and probably undermines that original ending (which itself was already undermined by returning to Bad Wolf Bay :rolleyes:). A bit of timey-wimey hand waving can easily explain why #10 & #11 could appear with each other in the regular universe

Though was thinking that there is one obvious way to bring back former Doctors without worrying about breaking the space-time thingymajigs; the flesh clones from series 6. Heck it was hinted at the end of that story that Flesh-11 could yet return.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Though was thinking that there is one obvious way to bring back former Doctors without worrying about breaking the space-time thingymajigs; the flesh clones from series 6. Heck it was hinted at the end of that story that Flesh-11 could yet return.

How would the flesh get a TARDIS though? I'm really starting to think this is bonafide 10...no clones no flesh no nothing...just some weird timey-wimey reason that he's there...and I could not be any more excited!!!

Also anyone else think it kinda looks like the outfit he was wearing in his final episode obviously a lot less ruined though. Suppose he only really had the 2 suits so it's probably meaningless

end1.jpg

Nah, I think it's a plain brown one.

I still reckon this has something to do with him deleting himself from history. This could be a "what if" Ten and Rose. Where the events that separated them never happened because as far as the universe was concerned the Doctor didn't exist.

(They'll probably have totally dropped the deleting himself from history thing now that I've said that. :P)

I've seen a wider shot of that same photo and
    you can see a Zygon trudging off in the background
    :D

Love that photo though, reminds me again of what a great face Matt Smith has.

Just to confirm btw, and in case others haven't seen the full pictures, it's definitely #10's TARDIS allright:

https://twitter.com/HWBCymru/status/324573847074516993/photo/1
    bradyle wrote: »
    How would the flesh get a TARDIS though? I'm really starting to think this is bonafide 10...no clones no flesh no nothing...just some weird timey-wimey reason that he's there...and I could not be any more excited!!!

Yup, going by the pic above it's definitely the real #10, so bang goes that theory. Initially I thought it'd be a handy explanaway for getting the previous Doctors involved - that they would be Flesh clones. Either way, I still hold out hope we'll see some of the previous Docs. I'm fairly ambivalent about Eccles returning given how disinterested he has been, but I think it would be a lovely gesture if McGann came back via a cameo. He's often forgotten (despite being the longest-serving Docs via the audioplays), and to appear in the 50th Special would be a nice affirmation that he had his time.

Noticing now in the pic
    the medieval setting
    behind them. Class

OK so we have it seems the "real" 10 and 11 of course, there have been shots of Clara filming bits of it and we've seen shots of the run through with her and the two docs, but not one pic of Ms Piper/Rose so far? Maybe only a tiny cameo?

Here's one of john hurt, tennant, piper, and ummm clara's real name... celebrating tennant's birthday after filming for this, apparently:

407112_579359485430292_1921438252_n.jpg

Jeebus, people can go nowhere without some gimp with a camera phone eager to intrude.

Yeah I don't like the idea of people intruding on what is obviously a private function, or posting pictures of it; celebrity culture gone too far

• Advertisement

Yeah I didn't think of that I thought it was from the official david tennant thing but it wasn't

Advertisement