Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

These days with celebs pimping their own such pictures/tweets it's very easy to get confused.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

bluewolf wrote: »
    Here's one of john hurt, tennant, piper, and ummm clara's real name... celebrating tennant's birthday after filming for this, apparently:

uqARbCF.png

It is the price they pay for been a celebrity and get paid we for it.
    Once they disappear from the limelight their career is dead.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Jeebus, people can go nowhere without some gimp with a camera phone eager to intrude.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I don't like the idea of people intruding on what is obviously a private function, or posting pictures of it; celebrity culture gone too far
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't think of that I thought it was from the official david tennant thing but it wasn't
    Wibbs wrote: »
    These days with celebs pimping their own such pictures/tweets it's very easy to get confused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is the price they pay for been a celebrity and get paid we for it.
    Once they disappear from the limelight their career is dead.

Well no, they're entitled to a private life & if Tennant wanted to have a quiet function to celebrate his birthday that's his prerogative and the public should show a little decorum; he's just an actor, not our personal entertainment monkey, and he has signed no contract with the public saying that his entire life is fair game. Nor is Tennant a celebrity; he's an actor. It's the media & public that decided him a 'celebrity', and that's just some handy excuse to voyeuristically follow these peoples' lives out of their sense of inflated self-entitlement. Admittedly, it's just a picture & I would hope he wasn't pestered during the evening, but even so - the public should show some cop on & respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

So the 50th special is being shot in 3D. Is the only way to see the 3D version on a 3D TV or are there special (cinema) screenings planned ? I am assuming there wouldn't be any over here anyway :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

brianon wrote: »
    So the 50th special is being shot in 3D. Is the only way to see the 3D version on a 3D TV or are there special (cinema) screenings planned ? I am assuming there wouldn't be any over here anyway :(

Theres talk (i think unconfirmed) that the 50th anniversary will get a limited run in the cinemas. I presume UK cinemas will be the only ones involved, but you never know, it might get a run in Cineworld or the UCI branches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Theres talk (i think unconfirmed) that the 50th anniversary will get a limited run in the cinemas. I presume UK cinemas will be the only ones involved, but you never know, it might get a run in Cineworld or the UCI branches

So will it not be shown on normal bbc not in 3D??...They so wont have it in cinemas where I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

bradyle wrote: »
    So will it not be shown on normal bbc not in 3D??...They so wont have it in cinemas where I am!

AFAIK it'll be on TV in 3D and normal/HD. WOuld love to see it in the cinema if that was happening though. My daughter would think Christmas has come early :)

brianon wrote: »
    AFAIK it'll be on TV in 3D and normal/HD. WOuld love to see it in the cinema if that was happening though. My daughter would think Christmas has come early :)

Few!

Meh 3D movies unless incredibly well done give me headaches and i end up watching a blurry movie without the glasses..So will probably have to make do with good old 2D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

FWIW: http://www.2d-glasses.com/

Turn a 3D movie back into a 2D movie! No headaches required.

hmmmmm interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Details have been released for Big Finish's 50th celebration.

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-light-at-the-end-cast-update
    New details have emerged about The Light at the End, the two-hour full cast audio drama from Big Finish that will celebrate fifty years of Doctor Who. Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann will be together playing the Doctor, and are accompanied by companions Louise Jameson as Leela, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, Nicola Bryant as Peri, Sophie Aldred as Ace and India Fisher as Charley. Flying the flag for the forces of evil is Geoffrey Beevers as The Master, who has devised his most cunning plan yet.

The guest cast for Doctor Who: The Light at the End includes Oliver Hume as an early incarnation of Straxus (a Time Lord who has appeared several times before in the audio dramas, most recently in Dark Eyes), John Dorney as Bob Dovie, and Nicholas Briggs, who plays the mysterious Vess.

“And that’s not all,” reveals producer David Richardson. “There’s a whole host of small cameo appearances by much-loved Doctor Who stars. We’ve called these moments ‘little kisses to the past’.”

Briefly dropping in will be (deep breath) William Russell as Ian, Carole Ann Ford as Susan, Maureen O’Brien as Vicki, Peter Purves as Steven, Jean Marsh as Sara, Anneke Wills as Polly, Frazer Hines as Jamie, Wendy Padbury as Zoe, Katy Manning as Jo, Janet Fielding as Tegan and Mark Strickson as Turlough!

“It’s a mighty cast list,” says writer, director and executive producer Nicholas Briggs, “and it was a huge logistical challenge to get everyone to the studio to record this new material for us. Though we wanted to include every surviving actor from the Doctor’s past, it wasn’t possible – but we did manage to get nearly everyone!”

Doctor Who: The Light at the End is available for pre-order now, as both a 5-disc limited collectors' edition and a 2-disc standard edition.

Ok, this time it has been clarified :( Maybe we should rename this thread, cos it looks like we won't be seeing any other cameos / appearances:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/dwm-confirms-no-classic-doctors-in-50th-48576.htm

So apparently those lucky ducks in Comic-Con got to see a first trailer for the anniversary story - it sounds positively epic. IO9 got to see it & wrote a summary, and hopefully it'll appear online (officially) in the coming weeks:

http://io9.com/the-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-trailer-is-an-amazing-t-860043589

So apparently those lucky ducks in Comic-Con got to see a first trailer for the anniversary story - it sounds positively epic. IO9 got to see it & wrote a summary, and hopefully it'll appear online (officially) in the coming weeks:

http://io9.com/the-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-trailer-is-an-amazing-t-860043589

It reminds of the 'End of Time' trail, where the only footage of it that existed for a while was a shaky camera-phone take from the back of the Comic-Con hall. I'm getting reports that the screaming drowned-out a lot of Smith/Tennant dialogue, so I'm just all-the-more eager for a proper version to surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Anybody shocked by this? Didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Not really shocked but hope its longer than the usual episode. I'd like at least 2 hours. Would need all that to have a proper story arc with the cast mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I had a thought about the episode over the weekend, and based on this video

So we all know that David Tennant is involved so If the tenth doctor is involved, hasn't this already happened to the tenth doctor and thus the 11th Doctor would know about it and know what to do?

or is it a case of wibbly wobbly timey wimey and my head is going to hurt even more soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Exactly. Something that happens to the 11th Doctor, causes him to intersect with the 10th Doctor's time line, but because it hasn't happened to the 10th Doctor until that intersection happens the 11th wouldn't know anything about it in advance. Wibbly, wobbly, timey wimey.

That's a good arguement for it having to be metacrisis 10.

But if they want it to be full 10 they'll just make up something wibeldy wobeldy time space parallel milarky

• Advertisement

BBC have released details on 50th celebrations.
    The Anniversary Special itself, which has been named The Day of the
    Doctor and will be 75 minutes long.

The 90 minute drama An Adventure in Space and Time

A BBC Two lecture by Professor Brian Cox on the science behind the
    hit show

A Culture Show special by Matthew Sweet, entitled Me,
    You and Doctor Who

A BBC Radio 2 documentary entitled Who is Doctor Who

A repeat run of a restored version of the very first story, An
    Unearthly Child, on BBC Four

A primer to the series with Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/day-of-the-doctor.html

If anyone's look for the full poster from that link, you can find it here:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/377597629636440065/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It'll certainly be interesting to see if Brian Cox can make head nor tail of the continuity of the series! Maybe he'll be able to explain wibbly wobbly timey wimey in lay mans terms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sleepy wrote: »
    It'll certainly be interesting to see if Brian Cox can make head nor tail of the continuity of the series! Maybe he'll be able to explain wibbly wobbly timey wimey in lay mans terms!

"Imagine... this rock... is the wimey...."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ZOMG TRAILER ON BBC WITH
    ALL THE OTHER DOCTORS
    GONNA PASS OUT NOW K

What? When? Where? Question Mark?

NEED YOUTUBE LINK NAOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Actually, it's on the BBC website :D

edit: whoops, you got it too coldzone, no worries

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Think I enjoyed that trailer more than some entire episodes of Who...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sweet. :)

Advertisement