Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

didn't see 7 or 8 in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

allanb49 wrote: »
    didn't see 7 or 8 in there.
    #7 is at 0:36 on the left; he's the guy tripping over - you can see his question-mark umbrella.
    #8 at 0:39,a real blink and you'll miss him moment; he's behind & to the left of the Ood. I know McGann is the forgotten Doctor, but he gets short shrift here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What I wanna know is where is the trailer of footage from the episode itself that US folks got to see at some comic con a few months back?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wibbs wrote: »
    What I wanna know is where is the trailer of footage from the episode itself that US folks got to see at some comic con a few months back?

They asked people not to leak it and they didn't, and also said it probably wouldn't be seen again (although it was also shown once in Asia).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

24 easter eggs from that trailer; lots of shout-outs from the classic series!

http://observationdeck.io9.com/24-things-you-missed-from-doctor-whos-50th-anniversary-1448618338

• Advertisement

Not only, but also; this seems to have been missed from a few weeks back...
    Paul McGann
    tweeted this little tease. Could it be? (I won't quote the tweet in case the spoiler allergic are trying to stay clean)

Link to the twitter post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As Americans go "WTF man? What freakin' crazy month is 23?"

io9.com have a page identifying nods to the series in the trailer: "25 things you missed". Some are very obvious: The Fez, watch etc but some are pretty obscure (Well, for a noob like me anyway)

[LINKY]

Edit: Sorry, didn't see Pixelburp's post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Odd alright, the Fez is pointed out but not the Jelly babies...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Odd alright, the Fez is pointed out but not the Jelly babies...

They also don't mention the Totters Lane scrap merchant sign at the beginning.

I would have thought both would be interesting to people who'd never seen the original!

Lads, listen carefully at 0:10

There's someone with a deep voice echoing Smith- is that the fabled McGann recording?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭bren2001

Coldzone wrote: »

I'll be heading to it myself. Annoyed that Coolock or Point Village are not showing it, don't particularly want to have to trek into Cineworld in town (or Blanch). Ah well, least we have it!

The real question is, who is going to dress up?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Ahhhhhhh the jealousy I'm going to be stuck in stupid Italy that isnt even getting the bloody episode so going to have to attempt some streaming that will undoubtedly be extremely sh1tty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brandom

BF and I will be there, probably in Cinworld, not sure about dressing up yet, but at the very least will be sporting one of my Who tshirt collection :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They do say that more cinemas will be added in the next few weeks, and if one Odeon is showing it, odds are decent they might add others.

Will probably go to Liffey Valley of the current options.
    bradyle wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhh the jealousy I'm going to be stuck in stupid Italy that isnt even getting the bloody episode so going to have to attempt some streaming that will undoubtedly be extremely sh1tty :(

The website linked says it's simulcasting on Rai in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Delighted to have one only 40 minutes away in Waterford. I though Belfast would be the only place in Ireland, maybe Dublin as a best-case scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yay! Limerick seems to be showing it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Will probably head into the Cineworld with my step-son and, yes, I'll probably wear my Doctor Who t-shirt for the occasion...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bren2001 wrote: »
    The real question is, who is going to dress up?

Most definitely, the only question is as Who?

and if so which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brandom

Well its not a Doctor, but I do have a Tardis dress that I could wear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

chrislad wrote: »
    Yay! Limerick seems to be showing it too!

Fantastic news. Tickets going on sale this Friday it seems but where do we buy them from ? The cinema or online or ... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm raging that there aren't any cinemas in Cork showing this. Seriously considering a trip to Limerick or Waterford for it. Does anyone know yet what time it will screen at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I'm raging that there aren't any cinemas in Cork showing this. Seriously considering a trip to Limerick or Waterford for it. Does anyone know yet what time it will screen at?

Give it time. They might appear. Dungarvan for example are showing it but are not mentioned on that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

See this is it, if we wait to see if it appears closer to us, and then it doesn't, would there be availability issues with the next closest place? I'm hoping it appears in Galway, but if not, it'll have to be Limerick for me too! So do I wait and see if it appears, or just go ahead and book Limerick.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

See this is it, if we wait to see if it appears closer to us, and then it doesn't, would there be availability issues with the next closest place? I'm hoping it appears in Galway, but if not, it'll have to be Limerick for me too! So do I wait and see if it appears, or just go ahead and book Limerick.....

I have emailed all the cinemas in Cork to see if any of them will screen it. If none of them come back to me by Friday, I'll book elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭bren2001

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I have emailed all the cinemas in Cork to see if any of them will screen it. If none of them come back to me by Friday, I'll book elsewhere.

Odeon on their facebook said a full list of cinemas where they are showing it will be available on Friday. The list on the map is not exhaustive. You should know on Friday what cinemas are showing it (I would presume non-odeons will also tell people by then too, stupid not too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Eye are getting it. I'll be in on Friday for my ticket :D

Excitement aside, I'm fairly sure this is something of a unique occasion in TV. Usually when shows turn up in the cinema, they do so as bespoke productions and more often than not are utterly underwhelming; the standard failure an inability to translate what works on TV into something that works on film (usually resulting in a dreadful 'lead cast go on holidays' plot).

So I can't think of a previous situation where an otherwise standard 60-minute episode has found its way into the cinema; it could make the BBC a handsome amount of money if they play their cards right.

I hope that being in the cinemas, the Beeb freed up a little more money for the production; the last few seasons have betrayed the slimmer budget on offer, and it'd be a shame if it looked as cheap as ever up on the big screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

flazio wrote: »
    Eye are getting it. I'll be in on Friday for my ticket :D

Woot!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Of a side point, Big Finish have released their multi Doctor story 'The Light at the End' 1 month early.
    Starring Tom & Colin Baker, Peter Davison, Slyvester McCoy and Paul McGann.
    http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-early-release

Meanwhile the end of Big Finish's other anniversary work, 'Destiny of The Doctor' could be in trouble as their co producers AudioGo ceased business operations this month while it searches for an investor or a buyer.
    All stories have been recorded and presumably the CDs for the final story in the 11 CD range 'The Time Machine' have probably been pressed so I reckon that story will be sold as normaal, just not on AudioGo's own site.

Advertisement