Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50th Episode - Here there be Spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I'm going pretty early...oh no I'm not it sold out before I even knew it was happening in Galway. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'll be leaving the house at roughly 5:30pm to head to Cineworld. I'll wanna wait around for a bit to chill out and stuff.

I'll be cosplaying The 11th Doctor tonight too so if anybody sees me come and say hi! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'll be at the party wearing my long scarf, bow tie and fez. Couldn't get a fully cosplay together so I'm a mosh mash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

When Doctor Who was born, at 17:15 GMT on 23 November 1963,

Happy Birthday Doctor Who!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said earlier I was going into lockdown until the episode airs, but I can't help pop my head around the door and go 'eep, very excited!'. Can't wait for the show to start, and for me personally it's mad to think the one and only anniversary story I was around for & saw was Dimensions in Time :eek: I would have been only 3 years old for the 30th anniversary...

Same here, my hands are shaking even posting this, so forgive me for any spelling mistakes,
    although Simon Moffat had said he was nervous at it being shown to more than 90 Countries, so no pressure there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Simon? ;)

Simon? ;)
    oops :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,969 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I feel like a child waiting for Christmas morning now :D:o:D

Tom Baker is my Doctor so not really a child but still one at heart :D

I feel like a child waiting for Christmas morning now :D:o:D

Tom Baker is my Doctor so not really a child but still one at heart :D

Oddly enough the yanks will feel like that as isnt it Thanksgiving Weekend this w/end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Eeek..!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Off to cinema now :P :P :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just heading up to the Odeon in Coolock now with my step-son. Don't have anything to cosplay with so just wearing a 5th Doctor t-shirt. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finished watching 'An Adventure in Space and Time' and was all set to watch the episode this evening in front of the fire.. but half tempted to take a wander down to my local cinema shortly.. hmmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just in the light house now. Filling up fast. Quite excited!

I'm at a friends in Manchester. He has a pc, xbox and wii and NO BBC1! Trying everything to get it live!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh my lord. Galway is packed to the rafters. Loads of cosplay. A really impressive weeping angel a few rows ahead of me.

So excited.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm at a friends in Manchester. He has a pc, xbox and wii and NO BBC1! Trying everything to get it live!

i Player man!!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    i Player man!!

It's frozen!!!

Looks like I'll have to wait until it comes on the iplayer through yhe xbox :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

It's frozen!!!

Looks like I'll have to wait until it comes on the iplayer through yhe xbox :(
    Oh, no! Disaster :eek:

I'm so excited. I almost don't want it to start because then it'll be over soon :/

Wow! all
    of them appeared :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

So... what's the plural of TARDIS?
    TARDISES? TARDICES? :cool:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That. Was. Amazing!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow! all

No! All 13! :D

I'm still trying to process all that. That last scene in the museum, I think I completely geeked out at that moment. The Great Curator :eek: :D

Maybe in time people will pull it apart, and decipher the ramifications for the mythology, but in the heat of the aftermath that was immense, so good. Amazing. Fantastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Absolutely loved that.

Just amazing. The bit with the
    13 Doctors
    had me squeeing with joy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow! all
    all 13 :). Pity Eccy didn't show up in person, but when MY Doc Tom showed up, I'll admit I sqeeeeeed. My 7 year old inner self is happy :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

While I like the idea of him being able to return to Gallifrey the episode itself was ****. Nothing but fan service jokes and deus ex machina that he expects us to write off as wibbly wobbly timey wimey. I'm seriously considering giving up on this show till after he leaves.

pixelburp wrote: »
    No! All 13! :D

I'm still trying to process all that. That last scene in the museum, I think I completely geeked out at that moment. The Great Curator :eek: :D

Maybe in time people will pull it apart, and decipher the ramifications for the mythology, but in the heat of the aftermath that was immense, so good. Amazing. Fantastic.

I thought that at first, then i edited it, then i didnt know what to think after seeing that :D

While I like the idea of him being able to return to Gallifrey the episode itself was ****. Nothing but fan service jokes and deus ex machina that he expects us to write off as wibbly wobbly timey wimey. I'm seriously considering giving up on this show till after he leaves.

It's the 50th Anniversary story / celebration; what on earth did you expect?

Of course it was full of injokes and cameos and references....I think that's what 99% of people were expecting, and it delivered perfectly.

Want a gif of 12's eyes :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh I didn't think it could live up to the hype, but it exceeded any expectations I had, epic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I really liked it. I thought they balanced looking back with an interesting storyline...and couldnt be more excited about whats coming next

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

Oh sweet jesus... That. Was. Fantastic. Absolutely amazing. Still trying to process it all so I won't make any any further comment but I just loved it!

Poor Matt Smith will be left eating Fish fingers and custard for ever more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For a wonderful moment I thought we'd actually see Christopher appear.

Brilliant episode. When Capaldi appeared I thought I was going to scream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Family member went and turned it off as soon as the credits started to roll, was anything said or shown at the end of the credits like a christmas teaser or anything?

Family member went and turned it off as soon as the credits started to roll, was anything said or shown at the end of the credits like a christmas teaser or anything?

Yeap, Xmas trailer and a trailer for Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

That was just amazing! I want to watch it again now :P

Sonics2k wrote: »
    For a wonderful moment I thought we'd actually see Christopher appear.

Brilliant episode.

The regeneration was enough though; it came across a bit sudden (but then so was #1 -> #2 haha) but it was good to see how things panned out for Hurt's doctor.

JLC on the afterparty.

<3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So it was an epic episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Wibbs wrote: »
    all 13 :). Pity Eccy didn't show up in person, but when MY Doc Tom showed up, I'll admit I sqeeeeeed. My 7 year old inner self is happy :D

Damn right too. I really enjoyed it, but when Tom showed up it was a job to hold the tears back. Tom is the best ever and that was simply a fantastic ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thought that was pretty good. Maybe it couldn't live up to the hype but what could?
    • Loved John Hurt
    • Loved "Hope the ears are a bit less prominent this time". (But did think that they'd have Ecclestone in as a super-secret surprise)
    • Billy Piper was OK but no reason for her other than fan service
    • Loved the 3D paintings. Pretty cool effect
    • Liz reminded me a little bit too much of Queenie from Black Adder
    • Liked the wall chart and I'm sure there's someone analyzing that as we speak
    • Pity Ecclestone didn't make an appearance. There must be some serious bad blood there.
    • Was surprised that they actually said "All 13" before showing Capaldi's eyes. Thought thay'd say something like "All of them" and you see maybe a couple of dozen Tardae (Hell, that's what I'm going to call the plural). Seems odd for them to give an "all" number
    • Bit of a Deus ex Machina. Thought they'd actually push the button. Needed to be done. Let Clara see the steel side of the Doctor. I suppose it's the setup for the Christmas special/Capaldi's initial story arc.

So go on, start the speculation: was Tom the Doctor or wasn't he? An alternate version perhaps given all the anomalies created by the 3 Doctors dicking about with their personal timeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

So will the show end after Capaldi then? Because he said all 13. No other future Doctors showed up with Capaldi so he's the last, right?

Also, my liking of Eccleston has dropped since refused to show up for a 1 minute regeneration scene. Fûck him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pixelburp wrote: »
    The regeneration was enough though; it came across a bit sudden (but then so was #1 -> #2 haha) but it was good to see how things panned out for Hurt's doctor.
    And right after that he ended up in sarf Laaaandan and bumped into Rose. Brings it full circle, but at the same time he would remember the "moment/bad wolf/Rose", or would he? I reckoned it wrapped things up nicely. I liked Clara looking at his granddaughter even if it was only a photo. I'm defo warming to her character more. Wasnt pushed at first, but I like their vibe. She's his mate, like a little sister, so the transition to the next Doc isn't gonna be that much of a weird vibe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Tom Baker talking on the afterparty now!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yeap, Xmas trailer and a trailer for Sherlock.

Think I was just as giddy to see the preview for the 3rd season of Sherlock.

[*]Bit of a Deus ex Machina. Thought they'd actually push the button. Needed to be done. Let Clara see the steel side of the Doctor. I suppose it's the setup for the Christmas special/Capaldi's initial story arc.
    [/LIST]

Moffat has (apparently) said before he thought destroying Gallifrey was a mistake and I see his point; the darkening of the Doctor's soul was a neat dramatic concept but it was always something I didn't feel completely happy with. Why does every hero need his heart to be sullied & why should the DOctor tear himself up over something so godawfully dark? I liked the idea that the blackest of days was whitened just a little (he did send Gallifrey into limbo, so it wasn't that much of an improvement)

• Advertisement

RE: Hurt and what he remembers...
    My understanding was that Hurt would forget everything and would think he went through with the burning of Gallafrey, so that the other Doc's would be like we've seen them over the last few years. So he'd forget Rose and Bad Wolf too...

Advertisement