Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV in rental property

Options
  • 22-01-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I now TV's in rental properties is a bit of a grey area so I just want to see where I stand before I decide to do anything.

For the past few years I have been renting a room in an owner occupied house so a TV has always been supplied in the living room, a few months ago the owner told me he'd be moving out and would find a new tenant to move in. Two day's before the owner moved out he told me he would be taking the 40" LCD TV with him and replaced it with an old 21" CRT TV, he also never mentioned to the new tenant about this. This week the TV he left us with has stopped working.

What do you think our rights are? Are we entitled to a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

As you are renting a room, your rights are pretty much nil in this regard.

Presumably you are going from rent-a-room to tenant agreement, so the TV situation should be specified in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldn't of thought so as it is not an "essential" item per se. If you could afford it I'd say get the landlord to remove the 21" CRT TV and get your own decent TV and take it with you when leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Read the lease.

Its not mandatory to provide one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I wouldn't be so sure. The fact that the LL took the other TV and replaced it, would indicate to me that a TV was part of the understanding.

Even if it's not; I'd make sure you informed him about the demise of the TV, just in case he tried to charge you for it when you leave..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Technically you moved from being a lodger to being a tenant. Different rules apply now. I think you can claim a replacement tv but why bother? You can pick up a CRT tv for free. Freecycle and the like have them all the time.
    You are are now liable for a tv licence too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Technically you moved from being a lodger to being a tenant. Different rules apply now. I think you can claim a replacement tv but why bother? You can pick up a CRT tv for free. Freecycle and the like have them all the time.
    You are are now liable for a tv licence too.

Just wondering about your reasoning for saying that the OP has technically moved from being a lodger to a tenant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

odds_on wrote: »
    Just wondering about your reasoning for saying that the OP has technically moved from being a lodger to a tenant?
    :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Landlord and tenant law is covered by the Landlord and Tenant Acts 1967 to 1994 and the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 -- Rent a room arangements are not covered by these

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

This:
    dylbert wrote: »
    For the past few years I have been renting a room in an owner occupied house...

a few months ago the owner told me he'd be moving out and would find a new tenant to move in...

the owner moved out...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When you live with the owner occupier you are a lodger. Once he moved out he became a tenant which brings different rights. Lodgers can be asked to leave immediately for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I was in a similar situation - renting a room (however the landlord wasn't living there). When I moved in, there was a tv there. Couple of years later, the tv died. Initially the landlord wanted me to get the new tv, however realised quickly that if i moved out at any time, it would leave the other tenants without a tv, so they purchased one. The landlord picked up a decent tv and stand off donedeal for 150E.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Couple of things, who pays the tv licence. If he was your now responsible for it.

Did he leave a saor view box? Tell him you cancelled sky or UPC and the television doesn't work,
    As there was a TV available when you moved in, you expect it to be there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    When you live with the owner occupier you are a lodger. Once he moved out he became a tenant which brings different rights. Lodgers can be asked to leave immediately for example
    According to a document on the PRTB website, Licensees in Private Rented Accommodation:
    A licensee is a person who occupies accommodation under licence. Licensees can arise in all
    sorts of accommodation but most commonly in the following four areas;
    (a) persons staying in hotels, guesthouses, hostels, etc.,
    (b) persons sharing a house/apartment with its owner e.g. under the ‘rent a room’ scheme
    or ‘in digs’,
    (c) persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal licence arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants, and
    (d) persons staying in rented accommodation at the invitation of the tenant.

As I understand from para (c) above, the owner does not have to be resident fot the occupant to be a licensee/lodger, provided a formal license agreement is in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I lived in 5 different places so far, only one of them had a TV in it. So my guess is, the landlord is not obliged to provide a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Oftentimes you're better off buying your own tv as anything supplied with the let will be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can get a tv from adverts ie, free ,
    or jumbletown, most people are getting rid of their crt tvs.
    You need a car or taxi to collect the tv, if its more than 15inch.

Advertisement