Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 22-01-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have cat 5 cabled to two rooms in my house, the sitting room and kids "play room", problem is getting a connection to these points. I thought they would be routed back to my attic/crawl space upstairs (Dormer house) but not the case it would seem. I borrowed Paladin Lan tester to check an rj45 connection in the attic against both points but nothing showed up at all. Upon closer inspection of both external and internal phone line points I have found the following:

20130122_134620.jpg
    and

20130122_142526.jpg

I have the phone line split after the internal phone socket, one line going to my phone and the other going to my router. Ideally I would like to connect the two points in the rooms mentioned into the router.Does this setup seem standard, by that I mean should there be 2 cat5 cables running from the external point clearly visible and should there also be two cat 5 cables connected into the internal wall plate ?

Apologies if I'm not making myself 100% clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Anyone ? Is the 2 cat 5 cables on the external box required ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Looks like it's going from external to each room for an analogue phone system. Plenty of electricians are still unknowingly doing this. Nowadays you really need radial, all going back to a single location like the attic crawl space, not outside where you can't add a switch

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Looks like it's going from external to each room for an analogue phone system. Plenty of electricians are still unknowingly doing this. Nowadays you really need radial, all going back to a single location like the attic crawl space, not outside where you can't add a switch

Thanks. Is it fairly easily rectify ? My plan was to have the router setup in the crawl space and connect from there to each room. That was the idea of running the cat5 to those rooms. Unfortunately the electrician was very experienced, possibly too old school !

PogMoThoin wrote: »

In saying "not outside where you can't add a switch" does this mean it will be difficult if not impossible to route a connection through to these two points that I have cable run to ? If that's the case it's been pointless paying for this cable and then running it.:mad:

What profession could I seek to address this issue ? Electrician or Networking person perhaps ? Original electrician is an auld lad to getting him to sort it out is not really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What you have to do is run a separate cable from each point to a central point where you place your switch/router.

I would have a word with the guy who installed it because if you have only two rooms the the cable going from room 1 to room 2 probably goes through the roof space if it is a single story or the ceiling space if it is a two story.

With a bit of luck there should be enough slack on the cable to enable it to be cut, two RJ45 plugs attached to the two ends and both can then be plugged into a switch/router

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    What you have to do is run a separate cable from each point to a central point where you place your switch/router.

I would have a word with the guy who installed it because if you have only two rooms the the cable going from room 1 to room 2 probably goes through the roof space if it is a single story or the ceiling space if it is a two story.

With a bit of luck there should be enough slack on the cable to enable it to be cut, two RJ45 plugs attached to the two ends and both can then be plugged into a switch/router

Thanks should have mentioned both of these rooms have 2 cables running to them. One to carry phone connection and the other a network connection.

I'll have to pick the original electricians brain and take it from there.

Advertisement